PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Holes in Benchtop for appliances

KGB
26th October 2004, 11:02 AM
I've just embarked on the onerous but exciting task on installing a new set of kitchen cabinets. I've used the flatpack type with some customisations and am happy with the progress, for a rookie.

My next step is the instal the benchtops, but firstly I need to create the holes for sink and stovetop. I've seen in other threads various pieces of advice as what not to use to create these holes but am still in need of some advice.

The benchtop is laminex covered 35mm. My question is what type of blade should I use to make the cuts. I plan to use a jig saw (based on advice against a circular saw in other threads) so what type of blade will be best for the task?

thanks.

Kieran.

vsquizz
26th October 2004, 01:20 PM
Both Makita and Bosch have laminate trimming jigsaw blades. Anything about 10Tpi will do the trick. Nice and slow, don't force it.

Cheers

nine fingers
26th October 2004, 01:34 PM
To KGB .place masking tape in the position of the cut out.mark your cut out lines on the tape ,this wil help with any chipping .
Put extra tape where the base of the jig saw will travel, this will avoid any scratches on the bench top.

ivanavitch
27th October 2004, 10:47 PM
MEASURE TWICE - CUT ONCE.

Don't bother asking why I would give such advice.

seriph1
27th October 2004, 11:25 PM
Hi KGB and welcome to the forum! Advice given is strong .... lots of masking tape, slow going on a fine jigsaw blade - even a metal cutting blade.

For what youre talking, I feel all will be well so long as there is plenty of overlap with the appliances. Will be keen to see the finished kitcen if you can post some pics!

have fun!

:)

vsquizz
27th October 2004, 11:49 PM
Will be keen to see the finished kitcen if you can post some pics!
:)
What???, you mean your supposed to FINISH the kitchen!... Oh dear :D

TheDad
1st November 2004, 11:47 PM
can relate to the finish the kitchen thing, ours is 2 years down the track and we have only just got a sink installed.

the drawers are made and the drawer runners are attached to the drawers, but not the cabinet

here is the kitchen as we speak

seriph1
2nd November 2004, 07:47 AM
SHAME ON YOU for taking so long!

he says, knowing his masterpiece took around 8 years

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

KGB
2nd November 2004, 08:55 AM
It seems slow progress for each task and for the whole project will be the trend. I'm off to a good start, It's taken us 5 years to finally settle on the kitchen design and even then we've chosen our original design.

A friend recommended jig saw blades with a downward cut, is there merit in this?

thanks for the help so far - very much appreciated.

KGB

Iain
2nd November 2004, 09:10 AM
I have finally (after much nagging from SWMBO) finished fitting the sink and cooktop, the holes are as rough as guts and I relied entirely upon the flange around the edge of the appliance, in my case 12mm.
The laminate chipped but all is now invisible, the only problem I had was with the sink, the width of the jigsaw did not allow me to get as close to the edge as I needed as the damned wall was in the way and I had to dismantle 3 benchtops to cut it out.
Two hours of dismantling and refitting and about 3 minutes of cutting :mad: :mad: :mad:

KGB
2nd November 2004, 09:34 AM
So Iain you cut the benchtop while it was installed?

One piece of advice I was given (not that I'm in a position to be shelling out advice) was to make any majors cuts away from the cabinets - and this was all based on sawdust in the cabinets and the penchant that mice have for sawdust...nudge nudge..

For my job would it be sensible, practical and do-able to use a circular saw on the underside of the bechtop and cut a rebate for say 30mm (out of 35mm thickness) meaning the jigsaw only has to handle 5mm from the top side?

I'm bundle some photo's asap.

KGB

Iain
2nd November 2004, 10:14 AM
Sawdust from MDF tops in cupboards is good, all the mice have now left and died from cancer, second generation treat cupboards as some sort of Bermuda triangle and stay clear :D :D
We put in the benches and worked from there so as to align everything, cooktop with rangehood with vents where there are no studs, sink in line with drain and not blocking dishwasher.
This seemed easier than measuring and guesswork.
Worked for us (almost).

journeyman Mick
2nd November 2004, 09:35 PM
KGB,
I've used the cut on the down stroke baldes and didn't like them, tend to lift the saw up and if you're not careful it jumps around. I use a Makita blade specifically designed for cutting double sided laminated board, gives clean cuts. Turning the tops over and using a circular saw sounds like lots of work. A decent jigsaw with a good blade won't take long to cut through. I always used to place the tops, mark the cut outs and cut them where they sat, occasionally shifting them around somewhat so as to have clearance for the saw body and in order not to cut through bits that didn't need cutting. It's quicker to vacuum up the dust than to lug the tops in and out and in again. Also the less you move them the less chance of bumping and chipping them. Used to fit 2-4 kitchens a week on meterage rates and learnt how to do a good job with the least amount of energy and time expenditure. :cool:

Mick

KGB
9th November 2004, 08:53 AM
Well the cuts are done. I trialled using both upwards & downwards cuts on the old benchtop and the jiggy performed by the jigsaw was proportially less than the shredded edge chips of the benchtop so the downwards cut won, and yes by arms are looser in their sockets now than they were, but the edges are clean.

I thought I'd be smart and leave the final 25mm in each corner so the center cutour wouldn't drop and either bind ther saw or crack the laminate, and lucky I did. My sink has rounded corners which means that had I cut all the way to the end I'd have cute 90' peep holes and each end of my sink.

The benchtops are in so the next next step is mounting the wall units and attaching the doors. Does anyone know of online instructions for adjusting hettich kitechen hinges?

Thanks for all your help so far.

KGB

seriph1
9th November 2004, 07:24 PM
if the hinges are those things like grasshoppers, they are a breeze - just fiddle with one set and you will see which way they move - if not - I have no idea!

BTW those peepholes youre referring to ........ it's pronounced screaminSonOfaBeechholes

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

TheDad
9th November 2004, 08:59 PM
Ah the grass hopper hinges........ tread lightly, my son, for many have delved into the world of hinges without years of training...

well I used the ubeaut bit that doesn't drill all the way thru the door (spade bits, did it once,nice table top now) and make a jig or template, mad my life so much easier. got my hinges for $8 each from my local hardware store (also the local joinery owned by a mate). Use a template to position the plates ( a real bugger when they are out 5mm)

have fun

conwood
16th December 2004, 11:38 AM
Hi KGB,
I have used a power saw in the past for this job. Drew the line and dropped the saw down and cut along the line. If not confident you can screw fences for the saw onto the bottom of the bench. You wil end up with nice straight lines too.

Hand saw the last bit if you like, or let the blade go just past. the appliance or sink wil cover.

conwood