PDA

View Full Version : Looking at buying a bench grinder

johnmc
26th October 2004, 11:52 AM
I'm looking for peoples opinions on what they consider to be the best value for money bench grinder. Its intended use would be mainly for sharpening plane irons, chisels, knives and blades.

What are peoples experiences with the cheaper grinders (GMC, Ryobi, etc) ?

What size wheel would be most appropriate for medium to light usage ?

Should I consider a wet-stone grinder ?

Thanks

John

Zed
26th October 2004, 12:28 PM
8 inch, soft white coarse wheel, slow start if possible.

johnmc
26th October 2004, 12:59 PM
8 inch, soft white coarse wheel, slow start if possible.

Forgive my ignorance Zed, but what do you mean by a soft white coarse wheel ?

Caliban
26th October 2004, 01:30 PM
He means that despite the stupidity of the notion, the coarser the wheel the softer they are on your tools. Buy a white wheel of about 60 grit, they run much cooler than the grey ones that come with most grinders. Blue max wheels are even better but they cost about $64 each. Do yourself a favour and get a timbecon catalog and have a read.

rodm
26th October 2004, 03:50 PM
I recently got the slow speed 8 inch grinder from Carbatec. I sharpen a lot of HSS lathe bits and have been impressed with the results - I have not blued an edge yet. It comes with two Al oxide wheels, cast tool rest, lamp and water tray so that is a bonus. Not cheap at $169 but after owning a Ryobi 6 inch it is well worth the extra investment.
Have a look at the Carbatec Cat No. AW8SRG and I am not associated with Carbatec apart from purchasing some of their items.

ClintO
26th October 2004, 03:50 PM
It would be nice if they supplied the grinders with aluminium oxide or silicon carbide wheels as standard instead of the carborundum. Two new wheels cost almost as much as the grinder.
I reckon the Hare & Forbes grinders are pretty good value

The Tool Shop
18th November 2004, 02:33 PM
I recently got the slow speed 8 inch grinder from Carbatec. I sharpen a lot of HSS lathe bits and have been impressed with the results - I have not blued an edge yet. It comes with two Al oxide wheels, cast tool rest, lamp and water tray so that is a bonus. Not cheap at $169 but after owning a Ryobi 6 inch it is well worth the extra investment.
Have a look at the Carbatec Cat No. AW8SRG and I am not associated with Carbatec apart from purchasing some of their items.
I could have u this exact beauty of a grinder in approx a week
for as quoted $169.00

Its an AXMINISTER from Carbatec.

550w, beautiful machine.
i supply all carbactec products..

PM me for an order!

reeves
18th November 2004, 04:12 PM
All i can say mate is it depends on yr budget and yr needs.

The info posted baove is all good and the carbatec grinder look right for HSS.

I have been through this recenlty and after started on a 6 inch grey wheel, trying to fit a 1 inch white wheel on it. Buy a 2nd hand 6 inch grinder ( tradetools brand) and fitting the white wheel, then buying a carbatec style angled grinding jig, and starting to get a decent job, i feel a whole soution is better for anyone.

Yes i have blue a chisel or 2 on the white wheel at the grinders speed ( 2850 rpm) and yes trying to get the right angle and 'roll' on gouges is still not an exact science ( considering heligring purchase tho i am adverse to the 200 buck s and feel it will make me more masculine if i can grind the helix by hand myself).

So i have spent all up about 125 so far and its adequate.

Tho a wider slower wheel and helix job will make things better, thats another 300 or so bucks.

good luck

TOMARTOM
18th November 2004, 05:39 PM
I bought a "refurbished" makita GB 601( not sure of the model no) there is nothing wrong with it, for $50.00 they had pallet loads of them, I have also known of other people that have the same grinder. Check out some of your larger stores or maybee contact makita direct for suppliers of these. It is a 6", and does not come with a "white wheel", additional for around $20.00.

regards tony

rodm
18th November 2004, 11:24 PM
I could have u this exact beauty of a grinder in approx a week
for as quoted $169.00

Its an AXMINISTER from Carbatec.

550w, beautiful machine.
i supply all carbactec products..

PM me for an order!

Dear Mr The Tool Shop
Even Bunnings offer a 10% or 15% (depends on your location) discount as an incentive to lure trade from the opposition. IMHO I'm not sure you have offered anything at all to this thread.

boatchippy
18th November 2004, 11:38 PM
Make sure you get grinder with a strong toolrest.

Many of the grinders now just have flimsey little toolrests that wobble around.

The carbatech grinders aren't bad , neither are the ryobi 8"

Optimark
19th November 2004, 09:00 AM
I walked into Bunnings in the middle of Winter for a couple of bits and pieces and spied a GMC 8" bench grinder for $39.00. I couldn't quite believe my eyes and checked it out quite thoroughly. Yep it was near perfect for the price.

One of the things I was worried about was whether or not the tool rests were flimsy or substantial. On the one I have, the tool rests are quite substantial. In fact I clamp a tapered piece of wood to the rest, for holding a tool at the right angle and nothing moves.

I also bought, at the last wood show in Melbourne, the GMC bench grinder stand for $57.00. It's has adjustable height and solid enough that so far I haven't bolted it to the floor. When the new garage comes I'll bolt it down but I think it's one of the better sets of purchases I've done in a while. The stand also has two spare wheel holders, one of which holds the brass wire wheel, that came as an extra with the grinder.

Mick