PDA

View Full Version : Lubricating lathe?

GSRocket
12th October 2010, 11:59 AM
I lubricated the slides on the patternmakers lathe with oil.... that proved to be a mistake....
wood shavings glued to everything and the slides would stick. :no:
I switched to graphite powder which works very well.....except for black smudges on everything.
So what do they use or what did they use in the good old days?
I'm thinking of using smearing lanolin grease on the slides.

RETIRED
12th October 2010, 12:17 PM
I wash the beds with thinners.

If I am using the lathe I use a light spray with WD 40. If I am going to be away for a while I spray the beds with Inox.

Ed Reiss
12th October 2010, 12:27 PM
Hi GSR...welcome to the forum.

Like the saying goes "Experience is sometimes a cruel master", but now you know not to use oil on the moving parts of a lathe...and believe me that grease would in all likelyhood be just as big a mistake.

The products which are best suited for the purpose are TopCote and Dri-Cote as shown here:
Bostik TopCote, DriCote, and Bearing Lubricant - Rockler Woodworking Tools (http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=2072)

If these particular brand of dry lubricants aren't available in Oz, just Google "Dry Lubricants". You should get plenty of hits.

Good luck.

mkypenturner
12th October 2010, 05:23 PM
i use silverglide sometimes it still has the german name on it silbergliet

its available from some hardware stores not bunnies or cabinetmaking supplies or at carbatec Silverglide Dry Slip : CARBA-TEC (http://www.carbatec.com.au/silverglide-dry-slip_c19708) i find it great and only need the tiniest amount

issatree
12th October 2010, 05:49 PM
Hi To All,

I'm with Troy, Silver Glide, Silver Glide, Silver Glide, & as Troy says, very little is needed.

Also, after a clean, on your Table Saw, Band Saw, Router Table, & of course The Lathe.
You will never use a tin in your life time, so share it with a couple of others.
Don't forget the bottoms of both Banjo, & Tail Stock.
Regards,
issatree.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

mkypenturner
12th October 2010, 06:50 PM
just rember to use EXTREMELY MINIMUM ON SAW BENCHES AND BAND SAW TABLES :!:!:!:! nearly had a meeting with the blade on the bandsaw as it makes it so slippery :!:oo:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
12th October 2010, 08:12 PM
I do exactly the same as . :shrug: Works for me!

GSRocket
12th October 2010, 09:43 PM
Thanks people:)
The oil isn't just for protection.
My lathe is like a metal working lathe except it does wood.
When I used WD40 or anything like it, the wood dust sticks to it
pretty good and the slides become very jerky to use pretty quickly.
So the Silver Glide works well, metal against metal?

swallow
13th October 2010, 12:55 AM
You could try a good hard paste wax as well on the ways, it's what we always used to use in the pattern shop that we used to own. Do not use any lube that contains silicone, at least not if you ever plan to paint anything done on that lathe or even in the shop where the lathe stands. I assure you you would regret it. Unless of course you enjoy looking at fish eyes.

I would just try the wax, two coats, let it harden and then buff to a high shine.

mkypenturner
13th October 2010, 06:58 AM
Thanks people:)
The oil isn't just for protection.
My lathe is like a metal working lathe except it does wood.
When I used WD40 or anything like it, the wood dust sticks to it
pretty good and the slides become very jerky to use pretty quickly.
So the Silver Glide works well, metal against metal?
yeah it works well on my 2 lathes and the dust doesn;t stick at all

mick61
13th October 2010, 11:30 AM
G`day I have used a block of parrifan wax that seems ok. Is there any chance of getting the silverglide at the working with wood show?
Mick:D

Sturdee
13th October 2010, 12:06 PM
G`day I have used a block of parrifan wax that seems ok. Is there any chance of getting the silverglide at the working with wood show?
Mick:D

Possibly, Carbatec sells it and they will be at the show. Maybe an email to them to make sure.

Peter.

hughie
13th October 2010, 12:43 PM
I use the ultimate low cost lube... a lead pencil. :U I have a 2 or 3 B lead pencil and the graphite in the pencil works real well. Attracts no dust, all components slip and slide well with no hassles and easy to apply.
This is on my lathe that has not seen much use of late and it still works well, even through patchy rust. :2tsup:

RETIRED
13th October 2010, 02:17 PM
Mick:DJim Carroll sells it as well.

NeilS
13th October 2010, 03:43 PM
I use the ultimate low cost lube... a lead pencil. :U I have a 2 or 3 B lead pencil and the graphite in the pencil works real well. Attracts no dust, all components slip and slide well with no hassles and easy to apply.
This is on my lathe that has not seen much use of late and it still works well, even through patchy rust. :2tsup:

Yeah, I 'inherited' a little graphite applicator can from my kids.. think they used it to lube the gears on their bikes... works well and even cheaper than 3B pencil, until I have to replace it...:doh:

Edwards
14th October 2010, 05:11 PM
I lubricated the slides on the patternmakers lathe with oil.... that proved to be a mistake....
wood shavings glued to everything and the slides would stick. :no:
I switched to graphite powder which works very well.....except for black smudges on everything.
So what do they use or what did they use in the good old days?
I'm thinking of using smearing lanolin grease on the slides.

Clean with Kero or similar. Rub with steel wool and spray with Selleys Ezy Glide. Then apply air brakes to Tailstock.
Cheers
Edwards :)