PDA

View Full Version : Routing Tenons

Template Tom
12th October 2010, 08:58 PM
Has anyone considered making a tenoning jig from material in their own workshop? I have never ever purchased a Jig but I would have over 100 in my workshop and the latest this week I was working on a tenoning Jig. I will put it to the test and submit some pics by the weekend
Tom

Superbunny
12th October 2010, 09:35 PM
Has anyone considered making a tenoning jig from material in their own workshop? I have never ever purchased a Jig but I would have over 100 in my workshop and the latest this week I was working on a tenoning Jig. I will put it to the test and submit some pics by the weekend
Tom

Great Tom, I know you will do a good job. Can't wait to see the jig.:D:D

SB

munruben
14th October 2010, 04:36 PM
Look forward to seeing those pics Tom.:2tsup:

Template Tom
25th October 2010, 06:38 PM
Just to keep in touch with the latest progress on my tenoning Jig. I have had some success with the outcome so far but feel I have to make a few adjustments to the final design, Had a great idea at 2.30am and have set the procedure in motion.
I have produced the jig and routed the tenon, the cost of the material for the jig was less than $20.00 and I am still interested in any others who may have had the same results I have achieved.

Superbunny
25th October 2010, 09:41 PM
Looks good so far, I seem to get my best ideas at 2:30 in the morning as well.:D:D

SB

munruben
25th October 2010, 10:56 PM
Well done, sounds like you are like myself Tom, I lie awake working things out in bed without interruptions. it's great.:2tsup:

Template Tom
26th October 2010, 05:59 PM
As you can see in the photographs the material I used were purchased at my local Bunnings store 19mm pine with a few pieces of MDF.
It's how we begin to think out the problem from the start.,,,What material we wish to use for the project and the size of the Tenon we wish to produce.
I still require to complete the drawing as how I arrived at the solution. Made a few changes yesterday to improve the design and I still have a few more to add.
This is not a complex Jig like what is available for purchase it is what the average woodworker can put together in their own workshop.
I have also been working out a system of producing sliding dovetails again constructing the jig from Bunnings material 19mm pine in the three sizes available 90mm 70mm 42mm as the major sizes.
Enclosed is also a picture of a new Mantle clock produced from One piece of material,......and a lectern that required a logo to be added, this was not produced with a CNC router but the average router in any workshop,....also the joint used when adding the rails to the legs of a table only the joint was on the edge of the leg and to create more interest the legs were not perpendicular but at an angle of 80 degrees to the floor.

Each one of these projects required the construction of jigs to complete the various processes as they are not available for purchase. Some of my jigs can be seen in action by logging on to You Tube........ Routing with tom O'Donnell.com

Tom

Template Tom
26th October 2010, 10:24 PM
Here is my next assignment routing tenons and that is to produce two tenons 6mm thick on a 30mm thick material
Tom

Template Tom
2nd November 2010, 05:04 PM
Sorry for the delay in submitting the results but I have been working on some improvements where I can rout the tenon in a variety of thicknesses on a variety of material
Tom

Template Tom
5th November 2010, 06:18 PM
Here is my next assignment routing tenons and that is to produce two tenons 6mm thick on a 30mm thick material
Tom

The Double ten was produced today with some success will post a few pics soon
Tom

Template Tom
10th November 2010, 06:53 PM
Tom

This exercise has taken way beyond my expectations on what can be achieved with the router to produce a great variety of Mortice and Tenon set-ups. I have continued to experiment with a variety of thickness of material from as small as 6mm with a 2mm tenon to 8mm 10mm 12mm material. All the processes have been set out on my computer and I have been amazed at the number of processe that is capable Now I have to get the theory put into practice and produce the various joints with the various material.
I was not aware of the possibliites that have been presented; this has only been due to the firm understanding of the use of the template guides. In this latest venture I will be using the 30mm 22mm and 16mm Guide. Hopefully I will be able to produce the practical details tomorrow as Thursdays are my official 'Shed' days.
I was hoping that some others would have produce their jig and maybe we could compare notes of jig construction.

Al B
11th November 2010, 05:59 PM
Tom
I have cut mortice's and tennons on my Rocker MT Jig, I cut the tennons by using a spacer strip to suit the thickness of the tennon I was after, I placed the spacer strip along the fence then cut the outer side of the tennon out then removed the spacer strip and cut the inner side of the tennon closest to the fence, it worked well. Hope this makes sense!

Template Tom
12th November 2010, 09:29 AM
Tom
I have cut mortice's and tennons on my Rocker MT Jig, I cut the tennons by using a spacer strip to suit the thickness of the tennon I was after, I placed the spacer strip along the fence then cut the outer side of the tennon out then removed the spacer strip and cut the inner side of the tennon closest to the fence, it worked well. Hope this makes sense!

Thanks al
Had a look for the Jig you mentioned, unable to find it, maybe you could post a pic for me
Tom

silentC
12th November 2010, 09:38 AM
I believe you're trying to replicate something like this?

Trend MT Jig Review (http://benchmark.20m.com/reviews/TrendMortiseJig/TrendMT_JigReview.html)

The Rocker MT jig Al refers to is a design by a forum member who goes under the name Rocker. I built one and it is very good, although I have not used it to cut tenons. I usually do them on a table saw but I'm watching this thread with interest.

Template Tom
12th November 2010, 10:06 AM
I believe you're trying to replicate something like this?

Trend MT Jig Review (http://benchmark.20m.com/reviews/TrendMortiseJig/TrendMT_JigReview.html)

The Rocker MT jig Al refers to is a design by a forum member who goes under the name Rocker. I built one and it is very good, although I have not used it to cut tenons. I usually do them on a table saw but I'm watching this thread with interest.

Thanks for that. I did have a look at the Trend machine and yes it does have the same look, but for a fraction of the cost as it is made in your own workshop. Personally I'm not in favour of having a lot of metal around the router though I do use some aluminium angle at times.
Still experimenting with the set-up and had some great success yesterday producing Tenons and Mortices in the small range 6 - 12mm.
Tom

Al B
12th November 2010, 11:43 AM
Hi Tom

I have taken some pictures of the jig to show you.

Pic 1 - Rocker jig set up to cut out the mortise.
Pic 2 - Mortise cut out.
Pic 3 - Set up jig to cut the tenon.
Pic 4 - The spacer strip between the router and fence.
Pic 5 - Spacer strip removed.
Pic 6 - Mortise and Tenon (Tenon needs to be rounded over)
Pic 7 - Fitting pieces together.
Pic 8 - Completed joint.

You can also just cut the tenon on the outer edge then turn the timber piece over to finish off the tenon.

As Silent has said I usually cut the tenons on a table saw also.

Template Tom
12th November 2010, 08:03 PM
Al
Thanks for the pics. I was wondering if the jig was used with template guides to control the router cutter. As I can see the Base of the router was used as the guide a method I have used on a number of occassions especially when the base of the router is round.
Enclosed are some of my new and a few older version of producing the Mortice and Tenon. It some years ago whilst demonstraing ot the Perth wood show I made a statement that I would never cut a tenon again in the conventional manner and I would always use 'Floating 'Tenons, well I will have to eat my words as I am now back to producing Tenons certainly not in the manner I was using 50 years ago In those days I did not have access to a router. Times have changed and here are some of my effort at producing the joints with the aid of the template guides.

Tom

Template Tom
27th November 2010, 10:22 AM
I have been have great success with my tenoning Jig also been able to produce the Bridle joint and the double tenon. It can also be used for sliding dovetails that I used on my small table construction. I hope also to produce mitres with the same jig also mitres suitable for box construction. But all this will have to wait until I return from holiday in Early January.
Tom

Al B
27th November 2010, 04:34 PM
Look forward to seeing some pics of the jig in action Tom. :2tsup:

Enjoy you holiday.