PDA

View Full Version : Toolrest angle?

nadroj
13th October 2010, 02:52 PM
I'm helping a friend make a woodturning lathe toolrest. What is the best angle to have on the side that faces the user?

Thanks,
Jordan

RETIRED
13th October 2010, 03:24 PM
I'm helping a friend make a woodturning lathe toolrest. What is the best angle to have on the side that faces the user?

Thanks,
Jordan30 degrees sloping from bottom to top towards the work.

Might help: http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/rest-day-119917/

nadroj
13th October 2010, 08:10 PM
Thanks .
I'm guessing that's 30 degrees from the vertical?
That is, it's fairly "sharp" at the top edge.

Jordan

RETIRED
13th October 2010, 08:57 PM
Yep. From the bottom.

powderpost
13th October 2010, 10:02 PM
I use an angle of 22.5 degrees (half of 45 deg) works for me. More importantly, the edge of the rest should, in my opinion, be slightly proud of the boss on the banjo, so that the rest can be right up against a job on a face plate without the job hitting the edge of the banjo. Hope this makes sense.
Jim

RETIRED
13th October 2010, 10:22 PM
I actually like mine vertical. I agree about the edge being clear. That is what I was trying to show in the other thread.

Edwards
14th October 2010, 05:05 PM

Thanks,
Jordan

For good tool control, have the top support area rounded to allow the tool to be easily moved along and not wearing on sharpe edges. The front face is best when vertical or concaved to allow your finger / knuckle to freely slide within and also provides added safety.

Cheers
Edwards

nadroj
14th October 2010, 11:36 PM
Thanks for the excellent suggestions, folks.
The tool is now made.

Jordan