PDA

View Full Version : Onsrud spiral bits from LV

outback
26th October 2004, 08:47 PM
There has been a bit of talk lately about the spiral bit range from Lee Valley.
I know a couple of people have, or at least were going to order a set or individual bits. I was wondering if there was any feed back in relation to them
Up until now I'd stuck with carbi tool, or CMT bits, but I'm chasing a couple of larger ones not available from these.

Rocker
26th October 2004, 09:49 PM
Outback,

I have bought the 1/4", 5/16", 3/8", and 1/2" solid carbide Onsruds from Lee Valley, and am very happy with them. You need to remember to buy the bushing adapters also for the 1/4", 5/16" and 3/8" bits, to enable them to be used in a 1/2" collet, since their shanks are the same diameter as their cutter section, rather than being milled from 1/2" stock. This is why they are so much cheaper than the CMT bits, which, apart from the 1/4", all have 1/2" shanks.

Rocker

BigPop
26th October 2004, 10:47 PM
Outback,
Ditto from me as to what Rocker said - I only have the 3/8 & 5/16 with adapters, and they really do work a treat I can assure you. Prompt service and delivery too. Cannot praise them highly enough

silentC
27th October 2004, 09:20 AM
Ditto.

Dan
27th October 2004, 11:23 AM
Can spiral bits be resharpened?

Rocker
27th October 2004, 12:49 PM
Dan,

Solid carbide spiral bits should last for many years of amateur use without becoming blunt. They occasionally lose small chips, but this doesn't make much difference to their effectiveness. I doubt if it is feasible to resharpen the solid carbide ones, but the most commonly used ones (5/16" and 3/8") cost less than US$30 from Lee Valley. If you buy the HSS ones from Lee Valley, those sizes are less than US$10, so are not really worth the trouble of resharpening, though it might be possible to do.

Rocker

outback
27th October 2004, 07:10 PM
Thanks for the input. Looks like another order to LV on the way. Do you think SWMBO would notice a if I slipped a new plane in the order?

John Saxton
27th October 2004, 08:35 PM
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=9134&highlight=spiral+bit+sets

Have done a comparison on the above sets from CMT with Onsrud which comes out at $119 for the Onsrud and $121 for the CMT (carbide)which I bought in, in earlier this year.
Having researched the local equivalent which don't or didn't do sets of what I wanted it was more cost effective to go elsewhere.

I don't know anything about Onsrud but obviously they could be an option down the track,howevever I have a lot of CMT bits which I am extremely happy with and have been so for a number of years having stood the test of time.

Just a view from my perspective.
cheers :)

As an adjunct to the above the above sets are now worth $130