PDA

View Full Version : Porter-Cable Biscuit Joiner

warmtone
26th October 2004, 09:20 PM
I am in the market for a good quality biscuit joiner and have heard porter-cable make one of the best. I would like to hear from anyone who has the more recent unit (with dust extractor).

Also fedback on comparable tools from Makita and dewalt would be appreciated. Sorry, I can't get inspired with GMC (!)

Brian

Zed
27th October 2004, 08:57 AM
I recenty bought the porter cable with Dust extraction (last week) it cost $495 from bunnies (they have a supply agreement with MIK) they were gunna charge me $580 or so because thats what mik charged them (from MIK catalogue) but I did the price match trick with them and showed them carabtecs catalogue with a sticker of the PC BJ for $495 and they matched it. I wanted them to go further and do the beat by 10% but they wouldnt on the grounds that they had to order it in special rather than a "stocked item" as per the ads.. still a good price....

the unit ;

loads of power,
nice to hold,
NOT Noisy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
excellent trigger mechanism,
DC works well - it has a removable port adapter for hose fittings for the DC and a bag.
the adjustments are nice for setting angle and depths - when you put it at 90deg you KNOW its 90deg, same for depths,
it has 2 scales for larger and smaller stock,
the 20, 10, ff & MAX setting depth stops are very good "positive stops" (with the allowance to do some adjsutment within the setting),
nice box,
extra cutting wheel and tools for cutting ff biscuits.
not particularly heavy,
all labels and marks are clear and accurate.

the only negative is that the supplied plastic box does not have a little mount for the peripherals for storage (hex key, spare ff blade & dust port for hoses)

warmtone
27th October 2004, 01:24 PM
Thanks for your encouraging response - I didn't realise Bunnings kept such good tools!

Having problems finding a new PC Biscuit joiner in Melbourne ........Carbartek still out of stock (I've been waiting since July)

Are you also happy with the precision of the tool?

Zed
27th October 2004, 02:26 PM
yes - just order it from bunnies, they'll get it from Mik, when you go to collect the item show them the 2004 carbatec cattledog and you'll get the discount - doesnt matter if carbatec doesnt have them in stock or not Mik's got them (you may have t) prompt the bunnies dude to "order the item from thier supply partner MIK")

accuracy of the unit is very nice, you'll be happy with it.

warmtone
27th October 2004, 04:53 PM
I called Bunnings in Melbourne after receiving your message....... but got a negative response: "we only keep the cheaper DIY tools like OZITO and RYOBI" - they had never heard of Porter Cable......... All the usual Tool shops have NO STOCK - repotedly due to delays with Carbatech.......
I can't believe how easy it is to buy junk and how hard it is to get a "real one!"

Zed
28th October 2004, 09:36 AM
go in there, say in your best condescending voice : "Can I please speak to the special orders person?? ? yes, thats right the special orders person they usually work from the trade desk...... as a matter of fact all Bunnies have a special orders person, can I please speak to them? Ok how about the manager then, can I speak to the manager ????, Thank you.....<wait for manager/special orders person> "hi can you please order a PC BJ from your supply partner MIK in Adelaide? the number for MIK is xx xxxx xxxx .... yes you do have a supply agreement with them, wont you PLEASE check your records.... Are you sure.... can I speak to the manager please or should I go to another bunnies, would you like that ??? How about I call head office and get the details for you, would that be more convenient.... perhaps you can call The special orders person in the Bunnies in Belrose Sydney (Sandra or sharon I think) , THEY did a special order for a mate of mine for a PC BJ just 2 WEEKS ago - perhaps they can tell you how to do it... would you like a hand.... I have the phone number for my mate the customer Mr Zed in Sydney (PM me for my ph no if you want it...) he will be glad to help you do your job sir... Ah well perhaps I'll just call head office anyway, what was your name again please... Ah... your full name please... thank you...."

if this doesnt get a response they dont deserve your business - go elsewhere....

cheers

warmtone
29th October 2004, 02:07 PM
I called MIK to check availability before getting back to Bunnings and was advised that stock had dried up and PC were in the throws of being taken over by Black& Decker.......

I was however able to get my hands on a "slightly used" PC 5700 from Carbatec for $300.00. After being encouraged by MIK to "grab it" - I did and can report that having made a few slots this is a superb tool and arguably at this price a bargain!

OK it was missing the box and the existing 4'' blade a bit blunt but after a little TLC the PC cleaned up like new. I did get the 2" blade (new) and plastic guide thrown in - and a full warranty. And yes even (quite) a few bscuits to get me started.

Carbatec (Richmond) are great guys to do business with and highly recommend them.

I have one small problem I'm having trouble replacing the 4" blade. The hex screw that holds it in place is a bugger to get out - even using a hex key plus spanner to apply leverage.

Possibly over tightened by previous owner with a slight film of rust.

Any suggestions? Currently it's soaking in Penetrene.

I can't wait to fit a new blade and start my project!!

Whinging Pom
5th November 2004, 09:26 PM
I have found the best way of getting over tight bolts, screws etc. out is a little tap with a hammer.

I´m not talking smash the thing apart, although this is one way of doing it if not a very good one, just a sharp tap and then give it a go. Quite often this is enough to move it.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Andy