PDA

View Full Version : Knife block - first attempt at marquetry

Artesano
13th October 2010, 11:59 PM
Hi folks - it's over!:p Thanks to all of you who ' ve answered all the daft questions I' ve been asking on the forums:U . Another good advise I got ,was to start with something simple - but there's no fun in that:; , so to make the learning curve harder , for my first try I designed a piece that features:

-bent laminated ply - veneered with UF resin in the same mould

-irregular shape to drive me crazy :~ - had to hammer veneer the top with hide glue(many thanks to WW here:2tsup:)

-dyed ash veneer - first try , too
- bone inlay:doh: epoxy for that
-and finaly , that fine sapele border , the rebate made with sort of scratch stok I made from broken Japanese saw blade , as I didn't trust the router for this job:~

...Man , did I have fun!:D

artme
14th October 2010, 07:08 AM
:o:o:o

Artesano that is absolutely STUNNING!!:clap::clap::clap::clap:

Rattrap
14th October 2010, 08:19 AM
I have to fully agree with artme, that truely is stunning. You've created a real piece of art. Well done Artesano. :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

NCArcher
14th October 2010, 08:29 AM
Beautiful Job :2tsup: I hope you have some quality Japanese knives to put in it.

Pops
14th October 2010, 08:47 AM
Hi Artesano,

What they said, top job. Love those fish, just fantastic.

OK, so what next? I can't wait. :)

Cheers
Pops

Artesano
14th October 2010, 11:30 PM
Beautiful Job :2tsup: I hope you have some quality Japanese knives to put in it.

That was the idea - unfortunately , there's trouble coming my way:C - and the knives will have to wait...Thanks for the comments - here's a close-up of the most complicated koi-fish:

elderly
16th October 2010, 05:06 PM
Fantastic craftsmanship I really love it.

swallow
17th October 2010, 10:07 AM
Whats the koi inlay made of? Very nice work BTW.

Artesano
17th October 2010, 08:17 PM
Bone. I did the marquetry first , with pieces of thick paper where the bone was to go , then glued the marquetry panel to the substrate , and after the glue was dry , removed the paper and inlaid the bone :doh: - have to think of some other way to do it :~

Birdie
22nd October 2010, 07:36 AM
Artesano
You #### me, WWOOOW what a great job, I love it,How long did it take to make it?
I have been thinking that I would like to try and do a small job but been to chicken to start one, but you have inspired me a lot.
Great work mate.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

ckngumbo
22nd October 2010, 08:58 AM
Incredible work there! I'm inspired.

Artesano
22nd October 2010, 10:55 PM
Artesano
You #### me, WWOOOW what a great job, I love it,How long did it take to make it?
I have been thinking that I would like to try and do a small job but been to chicken to start one, but you have inspired me a lot.
Great work mate.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Thanks - gve it a try , it's a great fun:) - and while you make it , new ideas come , you have to look for answers for questions you had never asked :wink: ,do some research...it's been a great learning experience. Can't say how long did it take , as I have a day job , and been making it in my time off - but to cut the bone for the inlays took 4 evenings....er , until well after midnight ,that is :~ :U

mic-d
23rd October 2010, 08:54 AM
Hi Artesano, that is a beautiful knife block. Awesome!

Cheers
Michael

bookend
23rd October 2010, 07:19 PM
Gorgeous work. For a first attempt, I am in awe! :o

Pumpkin
30th October 2010, 05:23 PM
That is stunning. Beautiful design, superbly executed. Congratulations!:2tsup:

I_wanna_Shed
30th October 2010, 06:16 PM
Wow what a spectacular piece of work - first go and all!

I can't wait to see more once you 'get the hang of it'!

Nathan.

Sebastiaan56
3rd November 2010, 08:20 AM
So I showed the missus your photos and you know the response "I'd love one like that, can you do it for XMAS for my sister and my Mother would love on as well!" So that's a real credit from her, as for me well Im just jealous of your artistry and skill. Bloody fabulous!

Artesano
4th November 2010, 12:47 AM
Hope I' ve caused no trouble? Should you choose to obey the authority , don't worry , there's no copyright here :wink:

Buzza
19th November 2010, 06:23 PM
I have just found this thread. Congratulations of such a wonderful work of art. :)