PDA

View Full Version : Where to get scissor fences from?

Waldo
14th October 2010, 12:09 PM
G'day,

I've been instructed by SWMBO that I need some fencing across the shed when I'm in here and I don't want the kids in (plus if the chooks get in if I don't boot them out in time they like to leave little presents) that I have something substantial and that is retractable.

Best I've come up with is a mob in China who have what I want portable fence products, buy portable fence products from alibaba.com (http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/321544679/portable_fence.html)

Anyone come across them locally, preferably a supplier in Melbourne?

(somehow I survived for years around my Dad's workshop and that of my Grandad, but female logic is different :shrug: so too is the mob we have funding from to get this thing - kids and this new age stuff is :screwy: )

sandiethelandie
14th October 2010, 01:57 PM
How wide is the access to the shed?
Those scissor door/gates are OK at defining an area but won't keep anything half-determined out of anywhere, and they certainly won't keep the chooks out.
If it's a door or a double door have you thought of a couple of used security screen doors, either hinged or sliding?

Waldo
14th October 2010, 02:02 PM
Shed is 6m in width. So far as access, it's more the kids (2 and 4yrs old) I'm not after anything permanent as I'm not sold on the idea, so it has to be retractable and not get in my way.

Beetle Shirt
19th October 2010, 09:46 AM
You can get high visibility barriers from hardware shops that are basically a roll of bright orange plastic mesh. I used some of the really light stuff to try and keep my dogs off some turf, but one of them found he could just push through it. Next stuff up was a grid of about 30mm squares made from about 3mm plastic strands that worked fine. Only real issue is stopping them getting underneath it, but if you stapled it to a 2x4 it should stop them. All you'd need then is to attach it at each end on the top.

NCArcher
19th October 2010, 10:15 AM
I had a look at some of the stuff here but :o the prices may shock

EXPANDING MOBILE BARRIER (http://www.adeptsafetyonline.com.au/site/707884/product/50955)

Buy some cheap pine and a heap of nuts and bolts and build one.

Waldo
19th October 2010, 10:16 AM
I've got the safety mesh, I grabbed two rolls from the rubbish at a work site, but others powers have joined forces to make their demands.

I found what I was looking for at RSEA while SWMBO went to Spotlight, this stuff Stock Item - Road Safety, Safety Equipment, Hire, Personal Protection, Workwear - RSEA - One Stop Safety (http://www.rsea.com.au/stock/item/475055)

So now I just wait and see if things get approved.

Beetle Shirt
19th October 2010, 10:39 AM
That won't stop chooks or kids though, they'd go straight underneath it. Not exactly cheap either!

Waldo
19th October 2010, 10:43 AM
The kids it'll stop, the chooks I can throw things at etc. :U The cost, that's not my worry as I'm not paying. :2tsup: I got a written quote of $670 from RSEA :shrug:

Beetle Shirt
19th October 2010, 10:45 AM
I was thinking of something like the 45mm mesh version of this (http://www.boddingtons.com.au/acatalog/Garden-Mesh-Netting.html)

You could even get some old retractable blinds and replace the blind material with this stuff. Make a couple and mount them on each side of the side, then just pull them out and clip the ends together to make your barrier. If you could get one for a really long blind you could maybe get away with a single blind roller on one side.

Waldo
19th October 2010, 10:49 AM
I had thought of things along those lines. The only thing that stopped me was that I didn't want to feel like I was being fenced in behind a high barrier myself. But having something that clipped half way would solve that.

Beetle Shirt
19th October 2010, 11:01 AM
I use similar things to keep my dogs out, and the 1m height works well. It's a visual block to them (and kids and chooks) but low enough that it doesn't look like a barrier to an adult. You can step over it if you have to as well, but not a good idea if the observers are quick learners.

Waldo
19th October 2010, 11:02 AM
The observers are only 2 and 4, so for them it would be a high jump. :U

Yonnee
19th October 2010, 11:53 AM
I saw on one of those home reno/makeover shows, a "flyscreen" that spanned an entire pergola width, but retracted like a holland blind into a box the size of a 90x90 post. Not only would it keep the kids and chooks out, but mozzies and flies too, and still allow fresh air in, and while you could still see out, prying eyes from the street wouldn't see in as easily (not that your shed is easily visible from the street).

Yonnee
19th October 2010, 12:29 PM
Image Gallery - Freedom Retractable Screens (http://www.freedomscreens.com.au/Gallery/retractable-fly-screen-bi-fold-french-doors-insect)

Images 23, 24 & 25 (bottom 4) shows they can span 6M.

Waldo
19th October 2010, 12:34 PM
Only thing I'd wonder about is if they can handle the weight of a car driving over them.

Beetle Shirt
19th October 2010, 12:40 PM
Excellent stuff - we'd been thinking of a deck with retractable doors like those, but thought we wouldn't be able to have the screens. These would be perfect!
http://www.freedomscreens.com.au/images/Retractable%20Screens%20by%20Freedom%20Screens.jpg

Yonnee
19th October 2010, 03:27 PM
Only thing I'd wonder about is if they can handle the weight of a car driving over them.

You could always run a strip of timber / flat steel either side of the track to allow you to drive over them. Or a little bit of work with a grinder / concrete cutter, cut a channel out of your concrete to drop the track into... :2tsup:

Excellent stuff - we'd been thinking of a deck with retractable doors like those, but thought we wouldn't be able to have the screens. These would be perfect!

Glad to have helped. Aren't these forums wonderful!!

Beetle Shirt
20th October 2010, 12:10 AM
Glad to have helped. Aren't these forums wonderful!!

:2tsup:

Link bookmarked for later :U

Grumpy John
26th October 2010, 10:09 PM
Have you thought of an electric fence, low enough for you to step over, just the right height for kids :D.

Waldo
26th October 2010, 10:31 PM
What could go wrong?

I get a little tickle where I go dancing :yikes: ; or

My little bloke get's tickled cause he saw Daddy jump the fence and thought he could too and I cop a bucket load from SWMBO, who says, "I told you so!" and the little fella ruins his future chances. :C

:think: ...

Beetle Shirt
26th October 2010, 11:42 PM
On the bright side, you get to give them new nicknames - Zack and Sparky. :D

Hours of entertainment with the 'Is it on?' games too.