PDA

View Full Version : Deck Paint

peter byrne
27th October 2004, 03:17 PM
I am interested in others' experience of deck paint options.

The deck on my old 34' launch is plywood. It has been covered in an acrylic non-slip paint (Solver) which seems OK but gets very dirty very quickly. I have given it a coat of marine primer to allow a transition to enamel, but have taken it no further.

I seem to have the options of one of the rubbery water-based paints or adding grit to a regular marine gloss enamel. I am attracted to the latter as it would appear easier to maintain/ recoat. However I am concerned that it may not be as safe when the decks are wet.

I would be pleased to hear of any relevant experience in this regard.

(I last posted a message in 2003, also about boat paint. I finally resolved that problem with help from the Jotun experts.)

Peter Byrne

peter c
27th October 2004, 10:57 PM
Hi,
I am just new to the forum however i have been sailing for close on to 34 years on dinghies and keel boats.I have just redone my ok dinghy and my sons sabot and bought international paint (marine) and in the cockpits added international aggregate which you sprinkle onto the wet paint and after the required time recoat with the paint and the surface is great it has grip without ripping you apart when you are wet it would be perfect for a plywood deck in my opinion.
regards
peter c

bitingmidge
27th October 2004, 11:17 PM
On dinghies I've only ever used paint and or varnish masked to an appropriate pattern, and any of:

Coffee crystals(sugar)
Salt
Sugar
Epsom Salts
sprinkled heavily on/into the wet brew.

Once the paint has dried (fully cured) scrub off with a bit of warm water for a nice neat anti-skid. The smaller the grain, the less the effect but softer on bare feet.

Muck around on a small sample board and you'll get the an idea.

On two bigger boats I have used thickened two-pack paint (really sticky almost filler texture) rolled on to give little hills. Great anti-skid, but takes skin off if you fall on it, and you'll need deck shoes!

Cheers,

P

peter byrne
28th October 2004, 12:50 AM
Thanks for the quick response.

Do I take it that "international" is a brand name and that "international aggregate" is one of its product lines?

regards
Peter Byrne

....................."I have just redone my ok dinghy and my sons sabot and bought international paint (marine) and in the cockpits added international aggregate which you sprinkle onto the wet paint......"

peter byrne
28th October 2004, 01:03 AM
You have given me plenty to consider here, Bitingmidge. It all sounds feasible and worth some more mucking about with shed tests. My main concern is getting a good and durable coverage and the safety of small people who tend to go all over the boat at great speed, regardless of the weather. (And the creaking ancients like me who are much slower and use the grab rails) I would like them to do this without going over the edge and not wearing out the soles of their feet.

Regards
PB

peter c
28th October 2004, 07:57 AM
Hi
International specialize in marine paints try going to
www.yachtpaint.com (http://www.yachtpaint.com) itand click on australia the site will divulge all products and has a projects and hints section.
regards
Peter c