PDA

View Full Version : Bowls

Nai84
16th October 2010, 04:34 PM
Hey Everyone

I have been working on a bowl and i thourght the wood was dry but I was wrong I left it mounted on the lathe over night and I came back the next night and it had cracks in it. So i just want to know what is the best way to try and adviod this if at all possible

Cheers Nai

turnerted
16th October 2010, 04:43 PM
Rough turn it so that the walls and preferably the base are a thickness equal to about 10% of the diameter of the bowl . Weigh it and stick it on the shelf untill it stops loosing weight . Remount and turn to finish . If you leave a green bowl on the lathe overnight , wrap a plastic bag round it to stop it loosing moisture .
Ted

Nai84
16th October 2010, 04:55 PM
Hey Ted

Thanks thats a fantastic idea with the plastic bag I love it :D I gonna try it out

Cheers Ian

wheelinround
16th October 2010, 06:21 PM
Ian I have seen dry wood crack some times its due to tension release of the grain structure. Twisted trunks, branches, weight stress etc.

As has been said above for green wood.

I know a bloke who puts that grey elec tape around the outside to secure it together.

Nai84
16th October 2010, 06:45 PM
Hey wheelinround

So even dry wood cracks well I still have alot to learn then hey:yes: this is why I love wood turning so much. Wow tape hey never though of that one

Cheers Nai