PDA

View Full Version : Cedar Toolbox.

Ruddy
17th October 2010, 04:07 PM
Last year I made a small machinist chest based on a design that was shown in Woodsmith magazine. It ended up in my wifes sewing room as it was too small for what I wanted.
I bought some Australian Cedar from Greg Ward and decided to make a bigger tool box and added a few more drawers and some larger hinged doors. It will hang off the wall instead of being on the bench and hopefully I will get organised and know where I put things.
The box is entirely from Australian Cedar with the exception of the two front inserted panels . These are from some King Billy pine I brought back from a trip to Tasmania.

Ruddy

Claw Hama
17th October 2010, 04:27 PM
Looks fantastic Ruddy, make sure you keep it away from ya Mrs. Do you know how many hours it took?

artme
17th October 2010, 04:46 PM
Bewdiful!!! :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Bet the KBP set you back a bit!. It's getting hard to come by now.

groeneaj
17th October 2010, 05:16 PM
I really like it mate, very inspiring :2tsup:

mic-d
17th October 2010, 07:37 PM
Ruddy nice!:2tsup::2tsup:

Cheers
Michael

BobR
17th October 2010, 08:01 PM
Very nice :2tsup:

kevjed
17th October 2010, 11:13 PM
Well done. Pure Art.
Kevin

wheelinround
18th October 2010, 08:27 AM
Beautiful workmanship :2tsup:

peteandoreen1
18th October 2010, 02:13 PM
Wonderful art, thanks for posting:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

3 toed sloth
18th October 2010, 07:00 PM
:)(:wts:

jIMBOGeorge
6th February 2011, 08:20 PM
That's absolutely mint! :2tsup::2tsup:
What copy of Woodsmith was that??

Charleville
7th February 2011, 01:08 AM
'Tis lovely! Well done! :)

orraloon
7th February 2011, 01:15 PM
What they all said.:2tsup:

Ruddy
7th February 2011, 06:37 PM
Hi Jimbogeorge,
The original design was in the US version of Woodsmith issue 183. From memory you can see it on their website. The one in the magazine is much smaller and I made one similar to that with the exception that I finger jointed all the drawer fronts.
The one shown in the magazine is quite small and mine finished up in my wifes sewing room.
The one shown here is loosly based on that design except this one has many more drawers, is higher and deeper and has the hinged doors that locate chisels and other stuff.
If you are going to make one, please feel free to send me a PM . I never made a drawing for this one but if you want I can give you some basic sizes that I settled upon.

moikel
15th February 2011, 10:29 AM
I think this is a brilliant piece of work on many levels,its beautiful & functional like most exceptional bits of furniture.:2tsup::2tsup: It reminds me :rolleyes:of those timeless cutlery sets that came in wooden display/storage boxes or even the surgeons instruments cases from the 1800s except bigger & better. Where did you get the hinges/what brand are they?Im also looking for some brass L brackets ,biggish 100mm x 100mm x50mm in Sydney. Any suggestions would be most welcome. Moikel

Ruddy
16th February 2011, 09:48 PM
Hi Moikel,
Thanks for all the comments, the cedar is what makes it, just fun to work with.
You should visit Brass Plus at Tempe for most of the brass hardware. The shop is like Aladdins Cave with a wide range of brass hardware and the lady in the shop is very knowledgeable and a great help.
The piano hinges are all brass and I got those at Bunnings!.......hope this helps.

moikel
17th February 2011, 09:37 AM
Thanks thats only 15 min from me.:D My red cedar project is over in big stuff,fairly basic compared top the high end stuff that the truly skilled turn out. I need to fix red cedar bartop to sandstock brick base & hinge a piece at 90 degrees. Brass & red cedar worked so well in your project:2tsup: so I was going to go with it.

Greg Ward
17th February 2011, 09:54 AM
What I struggle with is your finishing skill, how you process rough sawn red cedar boards to hold the grain clean and tight and give such a beautiful smooth finish.

I know that cedar can be smooth or dark wild grained, but you must have a great thicknesser or planing technique to be end up with such a beautiful clean result with the front board.

Greg

AlexHW
21st February 2011, 06:55 PM
Wonderful, what a beautiful piece. :2tsup:

Glen
1st March 2011, 09:48 PM
Nice work, makes me want my shed even quicker:2tsup: