PDA

View Full Version : Something oozing from silky oak

pippi
19th October 2010, 04:20 PM
Hello all, a new member to your forum here, looking for some help with my project.

I have an old (about 80 yrs) silk oak desk that I am finally getting around to doing up, having left home with it about 20 yrs ago and that I use as my sewing table.

Having removed the previous finish I am now getting something dark and sticky oozing out of the timber. In my hurry to get this done I had not noticed and had already put on one coat of Scandinavian oil before actually seeing this problem.

I have sanded again and put a second coat of oil, but it is still oozing.

The other issue I am having is that applying the oil seems to be raising up the grain and my previously smooth sanded surface feels rough after an application of oil.

It has been some fifteen years since I took on a restoration project and I am at a total loss as to what is happening.

Does anyone have any advice? What is my best course of action to get a smooth, ooze free surface?

Thank you :)

Wallnut
20th October 2010, 11:04 AM
Pippi
What did you use to remove the old finish ? stripper, sand paper or heat.
If you used a stripper, it may be reacting with the old residual sap or finish in the wood causing it to ooze.
You may Google the Company who made the Scandinavian Oil and contact them for advice on the sealer to use. There may even be a phone number on the label.
Raised grain - Silky is a porous soft timber and as such is a pain in the proverbial for raised grain, wipe over with Methylated spirits to raise the grain and sand it back, may be required quite a few times before the grain behaves, then apply the oil with 0000 steel wool and rub into the wood, this will produce a paste as it will remove any 'nibs' of raised grain, wipe off after application, leaves a nice matt finish. Apply aditional coats with lint free cloth for the finish you require.
Good luck

pippi
20th October 2010, 01:53 PM
Thanks Wallnut

I used sandpaper to remove the old varnish.

I did phone the company that made the oil and there only suggestion was to keep applying additional coats with a light sand between. But this seems to just repeat the problem, and as you say this is probably because of the nature of silky oak.

Thanks for your tips about using methylated spirits and the 0000 steel wool. As I said in my original post, it has been a very long time since I did anything like this and my memory is a little rusty. I do remember now doing just as you suggested on previous pieces of silky oak.

The other approach I used last night was to give the desk a very light rub over with sandpaper, which seems to have smoothed the surface beautifully. I will have another look today and see if it has remained smooth and if not I might use some of your ideas.

Thanks again for your help. I feel the restoration bug returning and its great to know there is somewhere to turn for advice. :)

Wallnut
20th October 2010, 10:45 PM
Pippi,
I will run your problem past my son who is furniture maker as is different to a cabinet maker, he may be able to give some advice on a suitable sealer for the 'ooze'.
keep you posted

Wallnut
21st October 2010, 09:24 AM
Morning Pippi,
young fella's advice - sand back to a fine finish, apply a coat of shellac, rub this back with 0000 steel wool, the shellac will seal the pores. It may take a few cotes but as shellac dries very quickly it does not take very long. Rub final coat back with the steel wool, wipe with a tack cloth and apply the Danish oil as normal.
hope this helps