PDA

View Full Version : To raise or to excavate?

WillyNeedsHelp
28th October 2004, 02:57 PM
Hi people my first post so please be gentle with me.
<O:p

I am currently finishing up my bathroom and spent the day under the house cleaning up all the stuff I had ripped out of the bathroom and kitchen and was thinking what I can do with this large space.<O:p</O:p

<O:p</O:p

Just a bit of a rundown the house is in Springwood in ffice:smarttags" /><ST1:place w:st="on"><?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com /><st1:City w:st=Logan</st1:City> <st1:State w:st="on">Queensland</st1:State></ST1:place> it s a highest house 13Long 8wide with a large vergola on the side, Downstairs is the garage/laundry/workroom on two concrete slabs.<O:p></O:p>

Held up by concrete stumps on the side and three steels ones down the centre.<O:p></O:p>

Both concrete slabs are braking up and need replacing<O:p></O:p>

The garage height is 2.4meters but the back is only 2.0meters as the land has a slight gradient from the back to the front, and thus this is my problem at only 2.0 meters not much I can legally do with this space.

What I am a bit lost on is should I excavate or should I get the house restumped and what costs am I going to incurre getting this professionally done.<O:p</O:p

<O:p :confused:</O:p

PS, what are the prices for concrete these days per sq meter for a garage etc?<O:p</O:p

<O:p</O:p

Thx Sean<O:p</O:p

seriph1
28th October 2004, 11:05 PM
hi and welcome to the forum Sean! hope you enjoy it here and find it valuable - I sure have ....

first of all concrete is a bit regional in pricing I believe so it is probably best to get a quote from someone through your local paper or through a contact (which I guess is why youre here!) Some of the things you might need to let contractors know is the coverage area, site access issues if any, what you intend to park on it ie: Hyundai or ten tonne truck - and perhaps whether the price will be less if you do some of the labour. Also, do you want it cleared, prepared and concreted - just concreted - barrowed in or pumped?

I would excavate as it would be far cheaper that restumping, which is around $8000 I think, but I may be way off. Once excavated you will need to build a retaining wall I imagine, so factor that cost in too. Just on restumping/lifting don't forget all stairs/services have to be altered/extended as well.

have fun and post some pics if you can, fellow banana-bender (though I am in Vic these days)

bitingmidge
29th October 2004, 12:15 AM
Willie,

Welcome, thankfully I'm not one of those nasty types that fry newcomers, and at least one person has got in without taking the you-know-what!

If you don't know what to do with a large space under your house you really do need help!
:D :D :D

PM me your address cause I've got all this stuff that needs storing and I'll show you how to best use the space!

On the other hand if you start building a boat, it'll just fill up of its own accord.

Drop a response to seriph's post to let's know if he's on the right track.

Cheers,

P

vsquizz
29th October 2004, 12:31 AM
Willie, what Steve said plus first locate the services and factor any plumber/gas/drainage costs into the plan.

It may be worth forking out the obligatory fee at the council for the original plans. (if you haven't already) This may have important information on the pillars, foundations, footings and services etc even if the house isn't built strictly to the plan (which is often the case). This way you can adhere to the original intent of the design without breaking some lower end of the osephagus rule.

May also help any contractors from digging up your water etc (hate that). I tend to do all the digging to expose things then get the pros in with the right gear to do the heavy stuff.

Don't forget storm water drainage.

Cheers

gemi_babe
29th October 2004, 12:38 AM
Is it just me or does willy have his tongue hanging out alot?

:p

LOL

bitingmidge
29th October 2004, 07:45 AM
Willy,

I'm assuming that living in Springwood your house isn't particularly long in the tooth, say a 10 or 20-something year old?

How much clearance do you have?
Is the ground flat?
What is the base constructed of?
How close are your existing posts?(approximately)
What sort of clear span are you hoping to achieve?
What are your ground conditions? Clay? Rock? Wet?

All of the above will have an impact on your decision. The original plan would be useful, and taking Squizzy's comments on board, you can probably see all of the services under the house at the moment. It would be rare indeed to encounter buried services under a high set house!

vsquizz
29th October 2004, 11:15 AM
Willy, It would be rare indeed to encounter buried services under a high set house!
Hey Midge, I dunno bout your place but raised or not the Shyte as to go somewhere:D

johnmc
29th October 2004, 11:26 AM
Hey Midge, I dunno bout your place but raised or not the Shyte as to go somewhere:D
In most high-set houses in Brisbane, the services tend to run under the floor joists to a side of the house, then down (beside a stump), then buried around the perimeter of the house. They are generally not buried directly under the house.

bitingmidge
29th October 2004, 11:49 AM
In most high-set houses in Brisbane, the services tend to run under the floor joists to a side of the house, then down (beside a stump), then buried around the perimeter of the house. They are generally not buried directly under the house.

Eggs Zachary!!!

It's a very rare place indeed that has invisible underground services under the house.

Though with reference to your observation Squizz, could be one of the reasons I'm so full of it??

Cheers,

P

vsquizz
29th October 2004, 03:21 PM
Eggs Zachary!!!

It's a very rare place indeed that has invisible underground services under the house.

Though with reference to your observation Squizz, could be one of the reasons I'm so full of it??

Cheers,

P
Glad somebody got it:D

But I always remain the eternal pessimist when it comes to digging under and around the house. People will do Anything when it comes to DIY. Just have a walk around and do a bit of checking. 10 minutes could save you $$$$ or your life.

Cheers

sandant
8th November 2004, 08:50 PM
hey willy

im a newby to so no currie from me.

My missus and i were looking to raise and build under our 1930'S queenslander.
We decided not to rasie for many reasons these mostly related to cost.

Firstly our restumping cost 7K i had 4 quotes and this was the best deal
one guy quoted me 15k (this also included raising the home)

the sewage ect ran under the house and the restumper did run into trouble here however because it was quiet deep one stump was inserted less deep.

A plumber had to be called about the whole thing and the end resault was that because the house is 5 foot off the ground allready it was possible to install an elivated plumping and sewerage system (this would be less expensive than relocating the existing also the existing was terracotta piping it still is too )

I had a friend help me with a carport slab he has 7yrs exp at it and it turned out smick as. $1000.00 for his expertise about a 3.5m x 12m slab

I concreted my own slabs under the house

1 slab 3m x 3m $200 ish
the second 3mx 5m $300ish delivered by truck and poured
you need equipment most hire places do hire concrete gear.

if you are looking to raise then just get some guys in to quote you will soon find that the costs add up not only is the restumping more expensive you have to worry about gas, elect (btw i got qoute to move the elect box $500), plumbing, stairs ect

it is way simpler to keep as is and modify from that eg instead of raising our home we laid slabs under it about to box it in and use for storage.

Also consider how much value it adds to the house vs cost i have done a bit of $ brokering and find people burn equity by spending to much to improve the property.

All this advice is from my own expiriance its worked for me so far.

good luck with it all sounds like your looking to do a bit of work !!