PDA

View Full Version : I thought I was confused before !

Kev Y.
21st October 2010, 10:28 AM
Yesterday I decided to pay a visit to a resin supplier in melbourne. Well I thought I was confused about what I needed BEFORE I spoke to the sales person :C

It turns out I can have PR, ER or some plastic stuff, each have their pro's and con's. one is highly toxic, one needs 5 - 7 hours in an oven to post cure, one is white, one dries clear one dries with a blue tint, you can not use this pigment with that resin, this one is twice the cost of that one..etc, etc...

Eventually I decided to go with the product I have read the post about and got the PR with the colour powder as well as some "general purpose" resin colour..

gawdelpus
21st October 2010, 12:11 PM
So the fun begins hehe, because I mostly do clear casting I use Polyplex clear cast from FGI 2% activater . This will take transparent colors or powders so does all I need :).You can make casting molds from that white breadboard material as the poly doesn't stick to it too well :) .Making your own resin saver molds is a bit of a challenge ,sometimes easier and more cost effective to buy some from one of our Members in the States :). A big learning curve coming up for you, but good organisation will see you through no worries . Cheers ~ John

Kev Y.
21st October 2010, 12:56 PM
Thanks John, I have already purchased the resin saver molds from Charles, so all I need is something to mold.....

my head hurts

NewLondon88
21st October 2010, 01:57 PM
Thanks John, I have already purchased the resin saver molds from Charles, so all I need is something to mold.....

my head hurts

Well .. if you want to get in slowly, just mix up some resin with the colors you like
and pour it in the mold! (tubes installed already, of course)

If nothing else, it saves resin, eliminates drilling and glue-ups. Take it out and square
the blank . .ready to turn. :D

After getting a few under your belt you can get fancy with things nobody has thought
of yet. .like ants.

oops, sorry. I just thought of it. :p

MBUMIK
21st October 2010, 09:18 PM
now Kev if it was easy,,,,,,,