PDA

View Full Version : Fingernail profile sharpening jig

Chief Tiff
23rd October 2010, 01:04 PM
Hi guys,

Does anyone have a set of plans for a fingernail profile sharpening jig for bowl gouges? I recently bought a Sorby bowl gouge but until I can be sure of reasonably replicating the grinding profile I'm loathe to use it much. I can be reasonably sure of hand sharpening it only once or twice before losing accuracy in the profile.

I also have some normal bowl and spindle gouges that I'd like to experiment on with diferent profiles.

I have a 6" high speed grinder that will be used for sharpening, however lack of funding and space won't allow me to upgrade to an 8". It is fitted with a Timbecon auxilliary tool rest that I use at the moment for normal grinds. I also have a Triton disc and belt sander that could be used for this purpose with the appropriate belt fitted; I know the Sorby sharpening system uses a belt and I quite like the look of it.

It doesn't matter what materials are required as I can work with metal as easily as wood. Although I don't have access to a lathe or mill my woodlathe and pillar drill have been substituted before now. In any case I was taught proper hand fitting as an apprentice so if I can mark it out I can cut it and shape it by hand with more than acceptable accuracy.

I've tried looking online but the only ones that include dimensions look to be too flimsy and pretty much fixed; the better quality ones don't have dimensions. Such is life! I can work from photos but only if the entire system is shown and some sort of scale included.

Anyway; any help, pointers or advice (preferably not of the "learn to grind by hand" variety) will be gratefully received and much appreciated. :)

rsser
23rd October 2010, 01:11 PM
G'day CT, yeah, somewhere on the bleeding hard drive I've got a set of drawings from some Frog that lotsa guys have found useful.

Gotta go out now. Would you mind sending me a PM as a reminder? (Yeah, it's going to be that kind of outing!)

nalmo
23rd October 2010, 01:32 PM
Voici ma station d' (http://www.atbq.qc.ca/jm2/woodturnjigs.htm)

The wooden "home made version" jig worked fine for me.

Plans are here http://shapewood.co.uk/Documents/sharpe1.PDF

A few other designs here http://www.harderwoods.com/gougejig.html

orraloon
23rd October 2010, 01:45 PM
Hi CT,
This site Around the Woods: Contents (http://aroundthewoods.com/contents.html)
It has step by step on making a jig and using it as well as a lot of other good info. Cost to build should be almost SFA.
I used this site a lot when I began turning and still have a look now and then as it is a mine of good information.
Regards
John

rsser
23rd October 2010, 01:59 PM
Ah yes, I've seen Nalmo's station. Very schmick!

cultana
23rd October 2010, 06:46 PM
Ct,
I was in the same situation new bowl gouge and not happy to use it till I got a good a reasonable jig. I found the one at around the woods and it works for me.

I used the one at around the woods. It is simple to build and easy to use.
There are a few pages, (6), to it and starts here:
Wood Turning Tools: Sharpening (http://aroundthewoods.com/sharpening01.html)

I am using it also to do my Oland tool tips as well.

Chief Tiff
23rd October 2010, 09:20 PM
Thanks guys, I'd seen both verisons before but the Round the Woods one seems a bit flimsy, but if Cultana has had success with it I might give it a go tomorrow as it won't take up too much time to build.

The French one I've also come across and really liked the look of, but I could never find the dimensions and the photos when blown up were too pixilated to measure acurately. Thanks muchly Nalmo for supplying the additional link for the plans. If there are no further suggestions then this will probably be the eventual one I make.

Once again, many thanks guys.

cultana
23rd October 2010, 09:40 PM
Thanks guys, I'd seen both verisons before but the Round the Woods one seems a bit flimsy, but if Cultana has had success with it I might give it a go tomorrow as it won't take up too much time to build.

The French one I've also come across and really liked the look of, but I could never find the dimensions and the photos when blown up were too pixilated to measure acurately. Thanks muchly Nalmo for supplying the additional link for the plans. If there are no further suggestions then this will probably be the eventual one I make.

Once again, many thanks guys.

I used some bits of hardwood instead of the ply as per the web pages. Yes looks flimsy but it isn't if done properly.
Also I used 2 bolts to lock the arm down, made the leg about 7" and used an angle of 45 degs for the leg. use this for spindle, bowl gouges and Oland tips.

TTIT
23rd October 2010, 10:32 PM
If you can get access to a welder you could copy mine. Check it out at the bottom of this page (http://www.ttit.id.au/gadgets/grinder.htm) and I can give you some dimensions if you need them :shrug:

Ed Reiss
24th October 2010, 12:11 PM
Hey Chief, if your dead set on making the jig from scratch...more power to ya'.

If you do happen to decide to buy one, you can't go wrong with the Wolverine set-up.

Good luck.

rsser
24th October 2010, 12:23 PM
We don't see the Wolverines downunder Ed. Tru-Grind seems to be the main contender. Or the Tormek BGM plus bank-breaking jigs.

cultana
24th October 2010, 09:06 PM
t here are the pics I said I would post. Hope it give you some idea on the Around the Woods jig set up.

Pic 1:
The sidearm is made for a piece of hardwood I got off an old pallet. It is 75 x 20 x 840mm. There is a 5/16” slot down the middle. The two hex bolts are 5/61” and screw into T nuts underneath the table. I thought this more stable than a single bolt and dowel guide.
To make sure that there was no flex in the slot I glued a bit of timber across the open end of the slot. This also gives the slot a tight fit on each of the two bolts.

Pic 2:
These are the 3 basic jigs I made.
a : small jig for the 3/8” Oland tip.
b : small jig for a 1/4” x 1/4” Oland tip. Hence the two bolts. Here I just threaded the wood with 1/4 BSW threads. I think the timber is Maranti or similar. Again just some scrap lying about.
c : The bowl gouge jig. The hole which the gouges goes in is 13mm.
d.1 : The gouge is held in place by a 1/4” BSW bolt. It is held in the block with a flanged insert nut,(d.2).
d.2 : the flanged insert nut. These are normally M6 threaded but I rethreaded it to 1/4 BSW.
e : is a piece of timber with a 13mm hole 2” deep to set the gouge correctly in the jig. The web uses a block of wood with little stops on it for different gouges. Since I used 2” for both spindle and bowl gouges this arrangement suited me.

Pic 3: The Oland tol tip on the grinder.

Pic 4: the Oland tool. Since it has a 1” steel shaft I decided it was quicker and easier to deal with just taking the tip out and sharpening that vs. trying to hold the whole tool. The tool is 34” long with a 22” shaft, not lightweight.

Ed Reiss
25th October 2010, 11:55 AM
We don't see the Wolverines downunder Ed. Tru-Grind seems to be the main contender. Or the Tormek BGM plus bank-breaking jigs.

Have heard good things about the Tru-Grind also, Ern...and,yep, "bank-breaking" and Tormek seem to go hand in hand. 'Course what doesn't these days??

Chief Tiff
25th October 2010, 08:00 PM
Cultana's version of the 'Round the Woods jig seems to be OK, it looks like I'll be building a similar version next weekend. I tried to find time to do it yesterday but to no avail. hy can't the weekend be longer? :rolleyes:

Edwards
29th October 2010, 03:40 PM
Have heard good things about the Tru-Grind also, Ern...and,yep, "bank-breaking" and Tormek seem to go hand in hand. 'Course what doesn't these days??

Tru-Grind is a real winner and a must for all Woodturners. Couldn't do without one.
Forget Tormek as the wheel runs far too slow for this type of tool sharpening.

Cheers
Edwards :)

RETIRED
29th October 2010, 04:02 PM
Are we talking SHAPING or SHARPENING?

Sawdust Maker
29th October 2010, 07:53 PM
Shaping?