PDA

View Full Version : Need help on removing a screw without a drill machine!!!

aaxkhan
24th October 2010, 12:12 PM
Hi,
I've recently joined the forums. I've got an immense problem. I'm trying to remove a couple of screws. Problem is: the screw heads are broken. Now i know it might be mostly beneficial if i use a screw extractor but i was wondering if i can use them without the requirement of an electronic drill. The reason why i'm asking this is because i don't have one and i particularly don't want to spend money on one. So please any advice would be greatly appreciated.

P.S: i've attached the pic so you guys can have an idea of what i'm talking about. Any cheap way to remove it would be grateful.

mic-d
24th October 2010, 12:26 PM
Hi welcome. Someone did quite a job on them didn't they. Couple of questions, do you need that plate or are you just removing it and what is it screwed to, wood, tile, brick masonry etc?
If you don't need it and it's not on tiles, a sharp cold chisel can be used to shear off the heads, then punch the remaining screw below the surface and patch.

Cheers
Michael

kiwioutdoors
24th October 2010, 01:13 PM
You could go down to your local hardware and get a pair of needle nose vice grips you might be able to get a grip on them and just unwind them. Otherwise you can get a screw driver with a pointy head and reverse thread that binds into the recess

A more messy way would be to punch it through into the wall and re mount it with a washer

munruben
24th October 2010, 04:09 PM
You may be able to use an impact screwdriver on those screws if you can wedge the screwdriver blade into the screw heads. I have removed screws using this method which have appeared to be well and truly "stuck"

munruben
24th October 2010, 04:19 PM
Looking at the screws more closely, I think you could probably cut a slot across the head of those screws with a chisel and hammer and then extract the screws with a straight bladed screwdriver. You may even be able to tap a straight bladed screwdriver into the damaged part of the screws and try to wedge it firmly so you can unscrew them as you would normally.

wheelinround
24th October 2010, 04:24 PM
Ok no power tools version

a small cold chisel and create a slot for a straight screw driver or as Munruben above says impact driver hand held type with splade straight bit works.

Power tool version

dremel and grind a splade gap

drill or grind the head off only enough to pop the other backing plate bit off then use vice grips to remove the screw from where its located.

or

aaxkhan
25th October 2010, 12:02 AM
Hi welcome. Someone did quite a job on them didn't they. Couple of questions, do you need that plate or are you just removing it and what is it screwed to, wood, tile, brick masonry etc?
If you don't need it and it's not on tiles, a sharp cold chisel can be used to shear off the heads, then punch the remaining screw below the surface and patch.

Cheers
Michael

Well i need the bracket and screws cause they came along with my doorway chin-up bar. The doorway at which i screwed them in was too wide for the pullup bar. I screwed them on the doorway's wood. Does that make it clear? Plus i just use a normal screwdriver and the might of my hands to oget the job done. Now i need it taken out :doh:

Al B
25th October 2010, 12:56 PM
This will depend how bad the screw-heads have been damaged but try lightly hitting the end Handle end of the phillipshead screwdriver with a hammer while slowly turning the screwdriver to back the screw out.

You can also try using pliers by griping the screw head and turning the screw.

Sick Puppy
25th October 2010, 09:30 PM
So, screwdriver aside, what tools do you have? What material is the wall, is it plasterboard/wood, or brick?

Could try cutting a slot into the head with a chisel or a dremel in order to use a slotted screwdriver, but I don't rate the chances;
Without powertools, a tang through heavy duty phillips/posidrive and a BFH to drive into the screw head and turn it (impact driver optional);
Vice grips would be difficult as there isn't much head available;
Can't remember where you're based, but can you get your hands on Fujiya/Engineer pliers? They're available from Jaycar, but the plier jaws are angled to remove damaged screws.

Black Ned
27th October 2010, 10:56 AM
Get a small piece of steel rod and heat the end RED HOT.
Holding it with say a set of visegrip pliers, hold the hot end against the screw untill you smell or see smoke. The heat transfer should break the bond between screw and wood. You may have to do this a number of times before success. Then back out screw by applying pressure and force.