PDA

View Full Version : Wood Lathe Beginnings

Scott
25th October 2010, 09:33 PM
So Ladies and Gentlemen, what got you started on woodturning and how did you learn? Were you self taught or attended a course? How did you choose your first lathe and why?

Me? I'm a hobby woodworker who has never touched a lathe but looking to try something different and will be guided by your answers to the above questions. I don't know what I'll be turning however I'm open to whatever derives the greatest enjoyment.

I'm not looking for recommendations, just wanting to start on the right foot.

Thanks in advance.

-Scott.

Kev Y.
25th October 2010, 10:11 PM
Hi Scott

I began turning about 11 years ago after a need for a cylinder type structure for another build project.

My first lathe was a belt drive cheap Chinese lathe, made from pressed metal and cast fittings, much the same as the GMC blue lathes.

After spending a weekend tutoring from Vic Wood ( he no longer gives lessons ), I realized that belt drives were not what I wanted, and the cheap lathe was not worth the money I paid for it.

I researched a few lathes and settled for the Nova DVR 3000.

I still have the lathe today, and apart from a small issue just recently, I am very happy with it.

My advise is do your homework and select the lathe which suits your requirements. There are quite a few out there to choose from.

You may quickly realise that as wella s the lathe, there are several other ancillery pieces of equipment you may require.. turning tools ( good quality), a good bench grinder and when you can afford, it a wet stone grinder. then there are the finishes, and etc, etc, etc.

No matter what you chose, there are plenty of peolpe here to help advise you on your selection.

Ozkaban
26th October 2010, 07:36 AM
Hi,

This topic has been covered plenty of times, so I recommend doing a search as you will find lots of useful info. I started out in a similar position - liked the idea, no idea what I wanted to do. I ended up starting with pens and small stuff, but have since had a go at a few clocks and salt/pepper mills along with a bowl or platter or two. all fun.

I was mostly into flat woodwork, but one day saw an add on these forums for a chinese MC1100 series lathe (very similar to the MC900 - do a search on them and you'll find heaps) which I bought. There are tons of manufacturers around of these things. They really are the entry point lathe to buy if you want to get started - the GMC ones are pretty ordinary. Mind you, the MC900/1100 ones are limited too, but plenty of people have them and I enjoyed mine. By buying it second hand I didn't spend a lot, when I decided to upgrade I onsold it and didn't lose a lot. My currently lathe is also second hand. It's a vicmarc and as solid and accurate as I could wish for, but it did cost a lot more... If funds/desire to invest heaps is limited, a good quality second hand lathe will beat out the cheapie chinese ones in power, accuracy, stability and longevity...

Chisels and other bits will easily out strip the purchase cost of the lathe. Go for reasonable branded chisels as they really are much nicer to use. I like P&N chisels though there are better (and much worse!) ones out there. Once you've got a few basic ones you can buy chisels unhandled and make your own which is a fairly easy and rewarding experience.

Then there are grinders and jigs for sharpening. Plenty of people here are great at freehand sharpening. I'm not, so I use a jig (woodcut tru-grind) and it works great. Brilliant result every time. I sharpen on a 6" grinder (8" would be better) with a alox wheel on it, then polish the flute with a slip stone. posted an excellent thread recently on sharpening, which is very worthwhile.

So that's a lathe and sharp chisels... now you can start spending :D Chucks are the next big one to look out for along with good quality drive centres and live centres. Rubbish ones will drive you nuts. Good ones are expensive... It's worth noting that good quality chisels/chucks/etc will outlast your lathe if you are starting small, so they are a pretty worthy investment. If you decide you don't like turning then they can be sold pretty easily around here :rolleyes:

Hope this rambling helps :2tsup:
Dave

jimbur
26th October 2010, 12:53 PM
I've never owned a new lathe. My first was a pressed steel type, second a record-power which I still use and I have fairly recently bought a very old woodfast.
My lessons were limited to being told by my FIL that the tool will let you know when it's cutting right. He was spot on as he always was with anything to do with wood.
I've collected a fair collection of tools both carbon and HSS. and made a few from old files - however I gather that is not recommended as they can shatter.
I wouldn't really classify myself as a turner as I just use the lathe as a tool. A very satisfying one though.
Cheers,
Jim
ps secondhand lathes often come with the accessories that take a while to collect (and pay for)

Nai84
26th October 2010, 05:21 PM
Hey sjt

My name is Ian I am 26 and I am begeiner turner, My first lathe was given to me buy a friend of the family and from the first time I put that chisel to rest and put it into that piece of wood I was hooked. I have mostly learnt from online reading and self teaching till about 3 months ago when I joined this forum I have since learnt heaps from the guys and the ladys with the info that they have shared with me willing and so freely :D you will never be short of info. I have meet two guys that I like to hook up with and play around and chat too and they are fantastic and awsome teachers as for a lathe I only recently just bourgth a new one MC-1100A Carba tec only $799 and I have never looked back so if I was you I would look around and see whats out their, you might find something that catches eye, Just like the guys said above tools and equipment can be expensive but if you are interested and are hooked from the word go then it prob wont bother you to much as it hasnt bother me one bit, It something I love to do so I will pay for the best even if I have to save some cash then so be it :2tsup:

So Happy Shopping and hopefully happy turning

Ian:D

crow400
26th October 2010, 05:46 PM
Scott,
Might be worthwhile to visit a local woodwork club where you will be able to get some hands on experience, help and advice. Certainly the best thing I did.
Good luck.
Bruce

Scott
26th October 2010, 08:01 PM
Thanks everyone for the invaluable advice, most valued. Especially Ozkaban's detailed response. I know this question has been asked before however I enjoy reading people's stories. When people tell their story you gain so much more information rather than asking straight out "what do you recommend". I will do a little more research on this forum though, such a great one.

Kev Y:

I realized that belt drives were not what I wanted.
What is it about belt drives you didn't like?

jimbur: I recently saw one go on EBay for a decent price with all the accessories I think you may need. Might be the way I go before I get more into it.

Nai84: Lucky getting a lathe given to you. I'll be like you, I won't mind spending the $. I'm a nurse so working a few extra shifts would pay for what I need.

Crow400: I've just applied to join the Eltham and district woodworkers club. I can't wait till I get to the first meeting therefore, good advice. I know Eltham are having an exhibition mid November, which I'll be going to.

Kev Y.
26th October 2010, 08:34 PM
Scott, after using a variable speed machine with Vic Wood, I found that being able to choose the exact speed range for turning out of balance blanks, or for changing from shaping to sanding, belts just did not give me that freedom

However may I add, that if the lathe YOU chose for your own, meets all of your requirements and is belt driven, then go for it..

Big Shed
26th October 2010, 08:47 PM
Perhaps the term "belt drive" could be confusing here?

A lathe spindle can be driven by a belt, but still have "infinite" variable speed via an electronic control system or a mechanical variable pulley system.
In fact quite a few electronic variable speed controlled lathes, have a combination of EVS and belt changes, think Woodfast 910, the Vicmarc EVS lathes etc.

Or the speeds can be changed by changing a belt from pulley to pulley, in which case you have, say, 6 speeds but with gaps between the speeds.

My own lathe, the Hare & Forbes WL-46, has 2 speed ranges, selected via a belt change, 0-1200 and 0-3200 on the front plate, but more accurately 80-1200 and 80-3200. The belt change in this case is more to select more torque (80-1200).

GC
26th October 2010, 10:26 PM
Hi Scott.

I did a bit of mucking around on a mates lathe.
Did a few lessions....

Mucked around on my lathe for a few weeks then got another 2 lessions scefically about the stuffI wanted to know.

Hope this helps.

GC

Nai84
27th October 2010, 12:57 AM
Hey sjt

Cool well at least you know that the extar shifts are their and I am glad I had it given to me it help in my time when I was giving up smoking and with sucsess :D the other thing you could suggest to you is find someone who lives close that doesnt mind helping you out and giving you some lesson it has helped me heaps on my way :2tsup:

Nai

jimbur
27th October 2010, 12:14 PM
The book I found most useful was Michael Dunbar's "Woodturning for Cabinet-Makers". He has the somewhat irritating habit of calling a bevel a bezel but that's a minor point.
Cheers,
Jim

Rookie
27th October 2010, 09:09 PM
I was browsing through a WW magazine about 6 years. I was reading an article on bowls, can't remember what it was all about, but my wife looked over my shoulder and saw the photos. She had never tried any woodworking with me, but was taken by how beautiful the bowls were. She asked if she would be able to do whatever they do to make bowls like that. Feeling another purchase coming on, I said of course she could. The next week she was down at the Tuesday Ladies Turning Club at Templestowe which was run at that stage by Stuart Watson . She went for a number of weeks but lost interest after a while. Meanwhile, I'd started at the Monday and Thursday clubs, and was looking for a lathe for her. I bought a second hand Jet from a mate of Stuey, she stopped turning, I didn't, and I've been turning ever since.