PDA

View Full Version : Bowls, Bowls, Bowls

Nai84
27th October 2010, 01:16 AM
Hey Everyone

So I spent some time in the shed today and I decide that I would paractice on some small Bowls to try and get my techqiue right this is how they turned up. First bowl is 100 mm in diameter and 45 mm in height and the second one is not yet finished but I was playin round with different shapes :2tsup: made out of jarrah ( I got from work they were once gluts :D)

Cheers Nai

mkypenturner
27th October 2010, 06:39 AM
nice work :2tsup: i see heaps of gluts at work to but all crappy pine with sap running out of them:((

RETIRED
27th October 2010, 07:37 AM
Ian, be very wary when turning a piece of timber that has a sap vein going through it like the one in pics 1-4.

The timber has no strength and can fly in half.

artme
27th October 2010, 08:22 AM
Nice workmate but take note of 's wise words.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Ed Reiss
27th October 2010, 11:55 AM
very wise words...especially on smaller bowls like that where we tend to up the rotational speed.

Your doin' good Ian...come a long way in a short time :2tsup:

wheelinround
27th October 2010, 05:12 PM
Ian well done even held in the chuck in compression so it would retain part of it should it explode :2tsup:

Like them both fun turning things like those they are quick and give you confidence to go further.:2tsup:

Nai84
27th October 2010, 10:46 PM
hey mkypenturner I always get heaps of them :D

Nai84
27th October 2010, 10:51 PM
Ian, be very wary when turning a piece of timber that has a sap vein going through it like the one in pics 1-4.

The timber has no strength and can fly in half. hey I did not know that but i do now i will take that usefull info and store it in my info bank. But it does look nice hey with the vain running though it

Nai84
27th October 2010, 10:55 PM
hey artme & ed thanks i am trying my best and practicing heaps and i will take wise words and use then wisely

Nai84
27th October 2010, 11:02 PM
hey wheelinround thanks mate they where fun to turn and are given me good practice for bigger projects :)

Sawdust Maker
30th October 2010, 07:43 AM
Nice shapes

You can fill the veins with an epoxy and used coffee grounds mix - can look good.
Doubt will add any to the strength, just helps with the aesthetics

Nai84
30th October 2010, 12:12 PM
Hey sawdust maker

Thanks I am slowly get their with the shaping of the bowl and I love nothing more then being at lathe practicing ( oh maybe my family lol :doh:) I am heading out today to spend some time with stuffy looking forward to it :2tsup:

Nai