PDA

View Full Version : Teknatool chuck...which one?

seanz
27th October 2010, 07:45 AM
I recently acquired a TL1000 (Old Yella) lathe and it needs a chuck. Should I get a G3 or spend a little more money and get a Supernova2? I think the larger chuck will suit the machine but I'm not sure.
I've only just been taught to turn bowls and I'd like to do some more...

Answers that suggest chucks that aren't the G3 or the SN2 are more than welcome.

artme
27th October 2010, 08:20 AM
The G3 is a good chick but I think the Supernova will be a better buy in the long run as it is more robust.

Jim Carroll
27th October 2010, 08:26 AM
The G3 is for mini & midi lathes
The supernova 2 is a better option for this lathe and can be used when you upgrade.

hughie
27th October 2010, 10:53 AM
as stated SN2, I have several and vouch for their effectiveness

Mulgabill
27th October 2010, 04:55 PM
SN2 :2tsup:

bobsreturn2003
27th October 2010, 05:05 PM
got a couple of super novas and sn2s but the vicmarcs are a better chuck try them out , cheers Bob :2tsup:

NeilS
27th October 2010, 10:43 PM
Have and use both Teknatool and VM chucks (no Vermec, yet). Can't say that I find any difference between them in terms of performance. I know some others have had issues with the quality of more recent Teknatool jaws and inserts.

If I was starting over again I would go with VM because of the more extensive range of jaws that they now have. But no complaints with the SNs that I already have.

Suggest for your first chuck you get the biggest that you can afford. It will give you more versatility and put off having to buy a second chuck quite so soon...:U

Manuka Jock
27th October 2010, 11:59 PM
Suggest for your first chuck you get the biggest that you can afford. It will give you more versatility and put off having to buy a second chuck quite so soon...:U

Go Titan :2tsup:

seanz
29th October 2010, 01:48 PM
I like the idea of the Vicmarc and the Titan but I think I might save them for 'next' as the SN2 is big enough for the lathe I have now.....might put the difference in price towards a respirator hoodie.

Thanks for the help and suggestions, I'll order a SN2.

rsser
31st October 2010, 05:31 PM
Sorry, the real question is what do you want to turn and what kind of jaws work best for this.

Then you work back to the chuck that'll take the jaws.

seanz
4th November 2010, 11:43 AM
Completely missed your reply, Ern. :? Dunno how. When this little lap-top overheats and shuts down I have to log back in to the forum....maybe I missed it then.

Anyway, what sort of bowls? Small ones and lidded boxes too. I'm just a 'junior' turner, it'll take me a while to find the limits of this set-up I hope.

Hope the SN2 is a good idea for that because there's one on the lathe now. Arrived while I was out, good service from Turning Tools in Auckland.

Assembled and installed it and everything seems fine, I'm now going to have lunch and read the instructions.
:q:U

hughie
4th November 2010, 12:48 PM
Here you go a few links that will help. Teknatool have stopped making some of their chucks.
NOVA Product index page (http://www.teknatool.com/products/Alternative_Product%20Main%20Page.htm)

comparison info on chuck selection
http://www.teknatool.com/support/Which%20Teknatool%20Chuck%20is%20Best.pdf

Mulgabill
4th November 2010, 04:49 PM
It's interesting to note on the Teknatool website that the only chuck they have in production is the SuperNova2!:?
When you look at the details on the SN2 page they also refer you to the Nova Precision Chuck for smaller lathes and which is no longer in production!!:?

I think their web site needs a bit of a clean up.