PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening Set-up For Turning Tools.

seanz
27th October 2010, 07:57 AM
This might belong in the 'Sharpening' section so I won't be shocked if it gets moved but I'd like some turners opinions on sharpening.

What do you use to sharpen your tools for turning?

I currently have a little old 6'' grinder with a white wheel on one side and a grey wheel on the other with a Carbatec tool-rest on it. It's fine for plane blades and chisels.

I was thinking of leaving the little grinder set up for plane blades and getting a larger unit (8") with a buffing wheel.

I've had a bit of a google about and there are some interesting set-ups out there. The grinder and linisher system was pretty cool.......

Jim Carroll
27th October 2010, 08:28 AM
Sean get an 8" grinder put on the white alox wheels and then get the Tru grind system set up.

All are available locally for you.

Grumpy John
27th October 2010, 09:08 AM
:whs:

The Tru Grind System is excellent for getting repeatability on your bowl gouges. If you want to go that one step further and get a mirror finish on your tools save up and get a Tormek T7, or if that's not allowed by the minister of finance, a Scheppach Tiger 2500. If you go for the Scheppach (as I did), get the Tormek jigs though.

Big Shed
27th October 2010, 09:25 AM
+1 for the Tormek jigs. Having recently purchased a Scheppach Tiger 2500 and constructed a mounting bar for the Tormek jigs on my 8" grinder my sharpening has entered a new dimension, as has my turning.

With Tormek BMG100, a standard 8" grinder can be turned in to a very good turning chisel sharpening system, the wet grinder puts the icing on the cake.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/f127/tool-support-dry-grinder-121906/