PDA

View Full Version : hide glue brush

mic-d
27th October 2010, 02:04 PM
So I understand that the brush I use for hide glue should not have any metal. Where do I get them from?

Cheers
Michael

silentC
27th October 2010, 02:27 PM
the brush I use for hide glue should not have any metal
Why's that then?

watson
27th October 2010, 02:53 PM
:whs:

I've always used brushes with a metal ferrule.....hasn't made any difference that I can see.

jmk89
27th October 2010, 03:25 PM
I use the metal handled acid brushes you can get from McJing and haven't noticed any detrimental effects

mic-d
27th October 2010, 03:53 PM
here (http://foldingrule.blogspot.com/2009/01/episode-89-make-hide-glue-brush.html), here (http://buildyourguitar.com/resources/tips/hideglue.htm), here (http://www.best-eurospruce.com/17.html) all said that it shouldn't have metal because of the chance of black staining. I suppose a stainless metal would be fine. I assume the acid brush is stainless. Just asking because I don't know any better.

Cheers
Michael

silentC
27th October 2010, 04:05 PM
I think "for the purist" in the first link says it all :)

Haven't been an extensive user but haven't had any issue with blackening. I guess there's a chance of it. I tend to only work with small amounts though and the ferrule isn't usually in contact with the glue.

Woodwould
27th October 2010, 04:42 PM
I've always used flat, natural bristle artist's brushes with aluminium ferrules with no adverse effects on either the glue or surrounding wood. The iron in steel can react with tannin in some timbers, but any steel ferrules I've seen on paint brushes etc. are plated and unless you were to lay the brush down with the ferrule in direct contact with the wood, you're highly unlikely to create any tannin staining.

Copper/brass has zero effect on glue or wood. Acid brushes are usually made from aluminium tubing and have zero effect on glue or wood.

My current brush (a $1.00 child's, flat, natural bristle paintbrush with a plain wooden dowel handle and aluminium ferrule) has been in daily use now for about two years and hasn't caused any problems.

mic-d
27th October 2010, 10:56 PM
I've always used flat, natural bristle artist's brushes with aluminium ferrules with no adverse effects on either the glue or surrounding wood. The iron in steel can react with tannin in some timbers, but any steel ferrules I've seen on paint brushes etc. are plated and unless you were to lay the brush down with the ferrule in direct contact with the wood, you're highly unlikely to create any tannin staining.

Copper/brass has zero effect on glue or wood. Acid brushes are usually made from aluminium tubing and have zero effect on glue or wood.

My current brush (a $1.00 child's, flat, natural bristle paintbrush with a plain wooden dowel handle and aluminium ferrule) has been in daily use now for about two years and hasn't caused any problems.

Thanks WW, the cheapest brush I can find it is then. But something is amiss! I thought you were a purist, but you do not shun metal ferrules:wink::)

Cheers
Michael

Woodwould
28th October 2010, 07:46 AM
Thanks WW, the cheapest brush I can find it is then. But something is amiss! I thought you were a purist, but you do not shun metal ferrules:wink::)

Cheers
Michael

I've never professed to being a purist in any arena; I like what I like and within the realms of woodworking, I use the most appropriate tools to get the job done in the least amount of time. If I was a neanderthal, I wouldn't use an electric glue pot for a start!

mic-d
28th October 2010, 07:50 AM
I've never professed to being a purist in any arena; I like what I like and within the realms of woodworking, I use the most appropriate tools to get the job done in the least amount of time. If I was a neanderthal, I wouldn't use an electric glue pot for a start!

I know. I was just leg pulling.:):)

Cheers
Michael

silentC
28th October 2010, 08:30 AM
I bought some cheap brushes from an art supply place. They were in a pack of different sizes - about a dozen or so - for $2.

Just watch the quality though because the bristles tend to pull out.