PDA

View Full Version : Turning a Shed into a Games Room

NewAtIt
28th October 2010, 12:05 PM
I have a 6 x 4m colorbond shed that my ex was using for his tools. He has now left and I would like to turn it into a games room for my son. Does anyone have any ideas??:? I am thinking of cladding the inside but not sure where or how to start:rolleyes:

A Duke
28th October 2010, 12:53 PM
That's a catch 22, if we clue you up how to do that, you will catch the woodworking bug and before you are finished you will be upgrading the games room into a woodworking shed.

Dave50
28th October 2010, 12:57 PM
gyprock sheeting is probably the easiest, you will have to place studs in at .600 centres and prerun any wiring for plugs, lights etc, as for the ceiling you may opt to follow the original roof line or place a set of timbers in between the purlins/frames to carry your ceiling gyprock but this makes the ceiling a bit low! dont forget the insulation, pink bats are as good as any!

wheelinround
28th October 2010, 02:50 PM
This would be a breach of the "CODE" for sure unless a newer shed was to replace it.:p

Although it will become a "Man Cave":rolleyes: trick one there

banjoping
28th October 2010, 04:55 PM
Corry would probably be the easiest as the existing wall girts are obviously set up to carry corry on the outside.

If you don't go corry but go gyprock you will need to add additional battens to carry the gyprock at 600 centres. Be aware that your gyprock may still crack, because normal sheds are lightweight steel structures that are designed to move, and exploit the metals memory to return to original position.

If the shed is a c section type shed you will either need to box out the columns or ignore it and leave them open (not really recommended due to spiders/duct etc). You should also work out what you are going to do at the knee connection plate (the plate that holds the wall columns and the rafter together) as these usually have a haunch that sits out into the shed in some way.

For the ceiling you could either create a flat ceiling or one on the rake. For a ceiling on the rake you will need to either batten out under your rafters if you are gyprocking, or alternatively add corry sheet directly to the existing roof purlins.

As mentioned previously, stuff those cavities with insulation batts or other insulating material to make the room as thermally efficient as possible.