PDA

View Full Version : How to make wedges

Dengue
29th October 2010, 09:32 AM
For fitting doors, I need some small wedges for the floor and the jambs.

What is the best way to make these - table saw, mitre saw, wahtever?

I would appreciate any and all suggestions

arms
29th October 2010, 09:43 AM
For fitting doors, I need some small wedges for the floor and the jambs.

What is the best way to make these - table saw, mitre saw, wahtever?

I would appreciate any and all suggestions

drop saw ,get a piece of 19mm pine about 200mm wide by about 300mm long (long enough to keep your fingers well away from the blade)grain at right angles to the fence ,then degree the blade to cut a wedge from the edge of the board then reverse the angle to cut an angle into the board reverse the cut to cut the other side of the wedge repeat untill the board has multiple wedges cut from it then 90 degree the piece and cut remaining wedges from stock

Dengue
29th October 2010, 06:45 PM
many thanks Tom, will give it a go

Chesand
29th October 2010, 07:14 PM
You can also do what Arms described with a hand saw or band saw.

Claw Hama
29th October 2010, 08:47 PM
Yep, I usually use the band saw. Where ever you feel the safest.

Dengue
31st October 2010, 02:40 PM
Thanks everyone, just come across another neat way making wedges with a table saw.

Claw Hama
31st October 2010, 04:51 PM
Sorry Jill, that looks old and makes my blood run cold. If you try that one I'd be using push sticks.

Dengue
31st October 2010, 05:14 PM
I agree, Claw Hamma! It contravenes my rule of no flesh within 4 inches of a moving blade :-

Wallnut
1st November 2010, 11:18 AM
Jill,
drop into Bunnings and buy a bag of plastic wedges made for the purpose, cheap as chips and one hell of a lot safer. All pretty colors too.

Rcam
2nd November 2010, 07:34 PM
Thanks everyone, just come across another neat way making wedges with a table saw.

safer than doing it freehand though isn't it, pretty good idea i think

cranbrook2
7th November 2010, 09:50 AM
A friend of mine and his wife trim houses everyday and his wife just chopped 3 fingers off last week cutting wedges on a table saw .:doh::o
The wedge got stuck and she tried to push the guard back down and zing there goes a few fingers .
I prefer using a skill saw to cut them .:2tsup: