PDA

View Full Version : Segmented Platter - and timber ID

Hardenfast
29th October 2010, 07:34 PM
Haven't done anything of interest for a while, but after some prompting from Ray (Wheelin') recently and a little enthusiasm generated from the Sydney get together, I decided to knock up a simple segmented platter.

I haven't applied any coating to the base yet, but the inside is finished with the usual heavy layer of ShellaWax. It's pretty much all I've ever used. Overall size around 320mm diamter x 45mm depth.

I had some highly spalted Hoop Pine and a piece of IDKWII (I Don't Know What It Is). Smells wonderful though, and is very straight grain - nice to work with. Haven't seen it before or since. I'd appreciate any advice as to the proposed identity. The most striking feature is definitely the smell - almost a sweet fragrance.

151415 151416

Nice geometry to the piece, I think. Especially the way the scallops work on the ends. Also very effective contrast from the timbers.

Sorry that the images are not great. Don't have any WIP shots either - out of the habit these days, I guess.

Wayne

powderpost
29th October 2010, 10:25 PM
That GTG was two months ago Wayne.
jim

wheelinround
29th October 2010, 10:35 PM
Wayne from what I see you have done well for the time you have in the shed.
Jim has to remember not everyone is retired with nothing to do :U

That is amazing timber use Sue loved it also.:2tsup:

Now for the next one.:2tsup:

Sawdust Maker
30th October 2010, 07:17 AM
Nice work

This sort of thing is on my list to do in a few weeks

what glue do you use? (meant to ask Jim that at the gtg)

Hardenfast
30th October 2010, 08:27 AM
That GTG was two months ago Wayne.
jim
Yes, as Ray has said - time flies, Jim. Is it really two months? Well, the inspiration was definitely derived from the get together, and also from having a look through your portfolio of pieces. Thanks to you I'm aspiring to more and more challenging pieces as I get back into it. This one was a bit of fun and looks quite good.

Wayne

Nice work

This sort of thing is on my list to do in a few weeks

what glue do you use? (meant to ask Jim that at the gtg)

Thanks Nick. I use exactly the same adhesive as Jim. He explained that he generally uses Selleys Tradesmans Choice on segmented pieces, which is an improvement on the old Aquadhere white glue. Sets relatively quickly - works well with the 'rubbed joint' technique, which is importatnt as its very difficult to clamp these things. It's the only glue I've ever used for these things.

Wayne

Wayne from what I see you have done well for the time you have in the shed.
Jim has to remember not everyone is retired with nothing to do :U

That is amazing timber use Sue loved it also.:2tsup:

Now for the next one.:2tsup:

Thanks Ray. And yes, you know how it goes..... so many projects - so little time. The good news is I recently finished one of my study courses, so I have a little time before the next one kicks in. I've committed to trying a nice little 'collections' box for my love - a combination of the spalted hoop pine and a piece of coolabah burl I have.

The spalted hoop pine is amazing stuff. I have a couple of slabs of it - quite old and spalted already - but I leave it outside in the weather and just cut bits off it as I want them. It seems to get more and more interesting, although I need to be careful as the spalting is already turning to rot in some places.

I'm pleased that Sue likes it - she's got great taste!

Wayne

wheelinround
30th October 2010, 09:31 AM
Thanks Ray. And yes, you know how it goes..... so many projects - so little time. The good news is I recently finished one of my study courses, so I have a little time before the next one kicks in. I've committed to trying a nice little 'collections' box for my love - a combination of the spalted hoop pine and a piece of coolabah burl I have.

The spalted hoop pine is amazing stuff. I have a couple of slabs of it - quite old and spalted already - but I leave it outside in the weather and just cut bits off it as I want them. It seems to get more and more interesting, although I need to be careful as the spalting is already turning to rot in some places.

I'm pleased that Sue likes it - she's got great taste!

Wayne

Wayne to hault the spalting where it is pop it in the Microwave for about 10sec at a time in a paper bag. :2tsup: The rot I have seen a fellow use epoxy to bind it, Carbatec have it. Needs to be very fluid to run soak in.

She does have good taste thats why she chose me.

Sawdust Maker
31st October 2010, 07:32 PM

She does have good taste thats why she chose me.

oh gawd
she'd just left her glasses at home :o :doh:

artme
1st November 2010, 07:58 AM
Nice work on that there platter!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

The spalted Hoop will make a nice piece as a stand alone timber.

OOther timber could be one of the aromatic Cedars, eg. Cedrus Odorata.