PDA

View Full Version : Just a little question

Nai84
1st November 2010, 01:55 AM
Hey Guys

I was doing this dish tonight and I have something on the side of the dish it looks like tear out but I used my scraper and did a shear cut on the inside but its still there and I cant get rid of it :? does anyone know what it is and how do I get rid of it :?

Cheers Nai

(pic attached)

cultana
1st November 2010, 02:02 AM
Are you using green, part dried i.e. still sort of green or dry seasoned timber?

If it is what I suspect the only way is to do a very fine scrap and then start using sandpaper stating at about #80 and slowly stepping down to #400+

Nai84
1st November 2010, 02:18 AM
Hey cultana

Thanks for that I will try the very fine scrape and see what happens :2tsup:

Nai

cultana
1st November 2010, 02:28 AM
I get this a lot, well all the time with the hard green timber I use.

You should have 2 sections of this on your plate almost 180 degrees apart. It is a sort of bruising of the timber fibers, you are brushing then at this point not cutting.

Pic below may help.

Nai84
1st November 2010, 02:48 AM
thanks cultana I will do as you suggested and see how I go Im glad its not just me then :2tsup:

Nai

orraloon
1st November 2010, 05:43 AM
A fresh sharpened scraper is best for that last light cut and sometimes even that is not enough. In that case a wipe with oil or water before the cut helps. Sometimes you just have to sand them out as nothing works. One of the joys of turning!
Regards
John

mkypenturner
1st November 2010, 06:45 AM
that can be simply solved by using a 80 grit chisel :D

Nai84
2nd November 2010, 12:41 AM
Hey John & Troy

Thanks for the tips I will try both of them :2tsup:

Ian

wheelinround
2nd November 2010, 07:42 AM
One of the reasons i have a spray water bottle handy just don't leave the water in to long refresh after a week at least.:2tsup:

rsser
2nd November 2010, 03:04 PM
You can also improve the off-the-tool finish by using a smaller gouge with light cuts, or your std gouge freshly sharpened.

And get the tool rest as close as possible to minimise tool chatter.

Also orient your gouge if you can so that the cutting edge is 45* or greater to the direction of travel of the wood.

You can try a 'pull cut' with the handle well down and cutting on the gouge wing (with the flute facing maybe 10-11 o'clock of the bowl rim depending on your gouge grind). This will leave something of a 'corduroy' finish but that's easier to sand away than deep tear-out.

Good luck.

Nai84
2nd November 2010, 03:28 PM
hey guys i will give it a go i have tried a couple of things suggested already and i gotten rid of most of :) so i try it tonite :) thanks ian