PDA

View Full Version : searching for wood in the illawarra

sturina
1st November 2010, 11:41 AM
Hi All

I have just bought a second hand wood lathe and have been practising on scrap bits of wood trying to learn how to do things. Now I think it is time to source some good wood for turning. Anybody know of where or who in, or around the Illawarra region is a good supplier of wood for turning? Mainly looking for bowl blanks for now but hope to move into pens as well soon.

hughie
1st November 2010, 12:45 PM
Well, if you track down as many tree loppers/arborists etc. They generally have timber to burn :U veritable truck loads of all manner of timber and its free.:2tsup:

turnerted
1st November 2010, 02:10 PM
There is a place In Wollongong always advertising in the small adds in the back of The Australian Woodworker .

Ted

wheelinround
1st November 2010, 05:30 PM
Check with Illawarra woodworkers group.

Hope Pat see's this post he's always picking up wood.

Pat
1st November 2010, 06:54 PM
Check with Illawarra woodworkers group.

Hope Pat see's this post he's always picking up wood.

Moi, I just "happen" to be in the right place at the right time.

Sturina, The Illawarra Woodworkers Group (http://illawarrawoodworkers.org.au/) has the meeting at Fairy Meadow the second Wednesday of the month, commencing 1915.

As to free wood, watch the side of the road for old furniture being thrown out and trees and shrubs cut down.

sturina
2nd November 2010, 01:03 PM
Thanks for the replies everybody. I hope to get down to the meeting next Wednesday but will have to see what work have in store for me first. I have scavanged some free wood but always happy to pay as well.

benji79
4th November 2010, 07:47 PM
Hi Sturina

I live in Albion Park and usually travel up to Trend Timbers at Windsor, its a bit pricey but they have a good range. I did get about a tonne of wood trom Tassi about two years ago and still have heaps left. If you drop me a PM we may be able to come to some sort of arangement. I have Tiger Mytrle, Sassafrass and figured eucalypt for bowls and a fair bit of good size Huon Pine for pens.

Benji