PDA

View Full Version : how to remove bark

Rhys_holland
1st November 2010, 01:00 PM
hey all i have a massive burl on the lathe at the moment with lots of bark i have been at it with a carving chissel for about 2 hours just to remove the bark and have hardly made a dent in it has anybody got soloution on how to remove it:2tsup:

Toymaker Len
1st November 2010, 01:12 PM
No solution for the workshop but if you can find somebody with a big waterblaster you might be able to get them to blow the bark off for you. I have done it several times when I've had a hundred or so burls to do and the finish you get is brilliant. By 'big waterblaster' I mean 4000psi and 18 litres per minute the car wash one won't do it.

wheelinround
1st November 2010, 01:13 PM
a photo might help :p

depending on the bark type i use a roughing gouge, some a chainsaw, others use a hand held electric planer.:2tsup:

ticklingmedusa
1st November 2010, 01:14 PM
I use one of these with a straight bit.
Much easier than saw or mallet & chisel.
<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td colspan="5">
</td> </tr> <tr style="padding-bottom: 2"> <td> </td> <td colspan="3"> <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td> http://strongmail.woodworkersjournal.com/webdocs/images/custom_ezine/dremel/issue8/2DREMEL6-LEAD.jpg</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table>

turnerted
1st November 2010, 02:05 PM
Depending on the style of bowl you're turning, the chances are that you will have very little of the original bark surface showing when you finish so don't worry about it untill you have established your final shape . If necessary I then just pick out the bark bits with a small screw driver . If this is not a success , just stabilise any bark wih CA glue and live with it .

Ted

Rhys_holland
1st November 2010, 03:01 PM
thanks for all the sugestions

Ad de Crom
1st November 2010, 07:29 PM
Simply, turning it off on the lathe with a roughing gouge.
Ad

Swino
1st November 2010, 07:34 PM
Depending on the Burl and the amount to be de-barked I have had success with water blasting in large quantities and a wire brush in smaller quantities.

If you are intending on a natural edge you could try rough turning it and then prior to final sanding using a wire brush. The wire brush doesn't work will all burl species though - some species bark seems to have a very strong hold.

I hope this is of help to you,

Rhys_holland
1st November 2010, 08:21 PM
i cant beleive i didnt think of using a wire brush that will be perfect

BobL
1st November 2010, 08:48 PM
If you want to retain a natural looking wood only finish an angle grinder with a wire brush head and a gentle touch produces surprisingly good looking results.