PDA

View Full Version : Vise Bargain

Bryan
1st November 2010, 01:24 PM
63mm toolmakers vise back down to $55:
63MM-2.5"QUICK ACTION PRECISION TOOLMAKERS' VISE (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/63MM-2-5-QUICK-ACTION-PRECISION-TOOLMAKERS-VISE-QKG-/380283910944?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item588aaffb20).
(No connection with the seller, just happy with mine.)

Dave J
1st November 2010, 03:37 PM
I would be quick if you want one because they can change the price overnight.
The last time this was posted up I waited and it went up $5 but they were originally $70 so they could go back to that anytime.

The vice is good quality and has a really nice ground finish on it. Mine checked our square and parallel in all directions. It is a worth while accessory for the mill (big or small) or the lathe like Bryan has done.

Dave

19brendan81
5th November 2010, 12:57 PM
When I was milling some long stuff the other day I thought to myself it would be handy to have a matching vise to do this job (so I could clamp either end of the 600mm piece of steel I was working on).

Do you think I would be better off buying a matching vise (which I was going to do) OR, would I be better off buying two of the vises listed above? Cost would be the same.

Here is the vice I have and was going to get another one of.

5" (125MM) PRECISION SWIVEL MILLING MACHINE VISE (NEW) (eBay item 270652693517 end time 21-Nov-10 08:58:42 AEDST) : Industrial (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/5-125MM-PRECISION-SWIVEL-MILLING-MACHINE-VISE-NEW-/270652693517?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item3f04285c0d)

Brendan

Dave J
5th November 2010, 01:15 PM
When I was milling some long stuff the other day I thought to myself it would be handy to have a matching vise to do this job (so I could clamp either end of the 600mm piece of steel I was working on).

Do you think I would be better off buying a matching vise (which I was going to do) OR, would I be better off buying two of the vises listed above? Cost would be the same.

Here is the vice I have and was going to get another one of.

5" (125MM) PRECISION SWIVEL MILLING MACHINE VISE (NEW) (eBay item 270652693517 end time 21-Nov-10 08:58:42 AEDST) : Industrial (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/5-125MM-PRECISION-SWIVEL-MILLING-MACHINE-VISE-NEW-/270652693517?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item3f04285c0d)

Brendan

It will depend on what type of work you do. The larger vise will hold large things and be a lot stronger than the smaller ones in the link above. On the other hand if your only doing small stuff the little vises will do the job.
I bought one of those little ones to use in my larger vise for holding things at different angles and holding small delicate stuff.

Dave

Dave

19brendan81
5th November 2010, 01:17 PM
Cheers Dave. One of those little ones might come in handy on the lathe, should I ever get around to making a vertical slide for it, but given my mill is big and suited to big jobs I reckon ill get a matching 5 inch vise to enable this.

Thanks again,

Brendan

Stustoys
5th November 2010, 01:23 PM
At 600mm you might be better clamping directly to the bed.
As far as two vices goes, I think you would be better of with a new matching vice.
2 x 125mm has to be better than 2 x 63mm doesn't it?
Stuart

19brendan81
5th November 2010, 01:29 PM
Yeah clamping to bed would be ideal, but ill need to make a clamp set for it. The T slots on the bed are 25mm, and I cant find anything to suit.

Brendan

Dave J
5th November 2010, 01:45 PM
Hi Brendan,
That sounds like the way I would go. If you have a chance to get one of the little ones it will come in handy for some jobs on your mill.
I cant remember but do you have a surface grinder to give both the new one and your old one a skim over to make them the same height. The new one will be close but not exactly the same as you old one.
Another option could be to give them both a fly cut on your mill. I fly cut all the surfaces of my first vise that came with the HM52 as it was out all over.
With the swivel base I took a skim off the face plate in the lathe and bolted the base onto the face plate and took a face cut both sides.
Because it was such a large area I use the boring head to fly cut it.
Here are a few pictures of doing a mild steel plate.

http://i702.photobucket.com/albums/ww21/1top720/Shed%20stuff/Picture807Small.jpg

http://i702.photobucket.com/albums/ww21/1top720/Shed%20stuff/Picture3092Small.jpg

Dave

19brendan81
5th November 2010, 02:08 PM
Man that is schmick. What DOC do you use when making a fly cut like that shown below? Do you get spring in the boring bar when you have it out that far?

How fast would you powerfeed?

Stustoys
5th November 2010, 02:22 PM
Pretty pictures Dave. I so want my granite block.
You don't add a link to some clever little table clamp thingies?
Disappointed!
luckily I found some ;)
http://www.woodworkforums.com/f65/low-profile-t-slot-clamp-hm-45-mill-59191/

Tip 3--Horizontal mill table clamp (http://www.sherline.com/tip3.htm)

Aussie Hobby Metalwork: Vice Clamps (http://aussie-metalwork.blogspot.com/2007/08/vice-clamps.html)
Stuart

Dave J
5th November 2010, 02:46 PM
Hi,
DOC is small, anywhere from 0.05mm to 0.15mm. The deeper the cut the more flex you will get, after getting it down to a uniform finish taking a 0.05mm finishing cut you get very little flex if any.
I plan to make up a large fly cutter but in the mean time this works fine. With a job like this it is best to clean it up with an end mill first, your cast iron wouldn't need it though.
As for feed all I can say is the slowest on the power feed, it takes a while. Not having coolant hooked up on this mill yet I found by halfway though the cut the HSS bit lost it's edge. I resharpened it and used a spray bottle of coolant and it lasted a few cuts, but my cloths were soaked at table height. LOL
That plate is 220mm x 340mm x 25mm thick mild steel and was for the head riser for my mill. I have since changed my plan and wont be using it in that spot anymore.:doh: Because I am going at it a different way, after finding out the horizontal spindle is out of square with the column.

Dave

19brendan81
5th November 2010, 02:57 PM
Thats really cool. Do you reckon you would have been better off with a carbide bit? How did you index your height once you resharpened the HSS?

Brendan

Dave J
5th November 2010, 03:43 PM
Hi Brendan,
I have carbide bars buy they left a poor finish, the HSS was superior.
With the height I put a wet tally ho cigarette paper on the job and when it takes that off I know I am real close. I then just wind the knee up a little until contact is made, move the cutter away and bring the knee up for the next cut X amount. From memory I got 3 cuts out of it after re sharpening and that was the job done.

Hi Stuart,
The plate is bolted to the table with socket head screws. I didn't want to drill them before fly cutting because of the interrupted cuts, but it made it easier for this job.

The last link is the same ones I recommended to Bryan, only with a pin at the front to go into the side of his vise.
The last link, I have never seen them made like that. I think if your going to make some like it, you would be better off doing them like these with the socket head screw head turned eccentric.
How to Flatten Bar Stock on a Mill? Not O/T! - The Home Shop Machinist & Machinist's Workshop BBS (http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=29933)

Eccentric Clamps - Page 3 - The Home Shop Machinist & Machinist's Workshop BBS (http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=35438&page=3)

There are other good right ups around on them, but they were the one's I could find quick.

Dave

eskimo
5th November 2010, 05:01 PM
I would be quick if you want one because they can change the price overnight.
The last time this was posted up I waited and it went up $5 but they were originally $70 so they could go back to that anytime.

The vice is good quality and has a really nice ground finish on it. Mine checked our square and parallel in all directions. It is a worth while accessory for the mill (big or small) or the lathe like Bryan has done.

Dave

I picked mine up yesterday and it certainly looks the goods
will check it out more over the weekend

krisfarm
23rd November 2010, 09:08 PM
eskimo,or other vise owners.
I am after one of these small toolmaker vises, how did yours come up after inspecting it?. I have just seen some similar ones a bit smaller 50mm across the jaws that came from Hong Kong but they were very rough with missing pieces of casting on the bed and movable jaw and would take half a day to remove all of the burrs from underneath. Any advise appreciated.
Bob

Dave J
23rd November 2010, 10:08 PM
Hi Bob,
I have seen those ones and that's what I was expecting when I bought one of these.
I would have to say they are 100% better than the picture on ebay.
I was surprised when it turned up in a wooden box and wrapped in a plastic bag inside.
The vise is beautifully ground everywhere no missing pieces at all, and very tight tolerances between the moving jaw and bed.
I would expect to pay $100-$150+ in the shop for the same vise with the same quality as these, their a bargain at $55.
Just remember the combined postage, I bought one of these and some other gear that come to around $43 in postage and was only charged $28 combined.

Dave

Bryan
23rd November 2010, 10:16 PM
I'm also very happy with mine. It gets used for light milling on the vertical slide and performs very well. Why would you buy a bad one when good ones are so cheap?

eskimo
24th November 2010, 07:35 AM
yep ditto the above replies

it fits great in the large vice for cutting smaller stuff at angles

krisfarm
24th November 2010, 07:42 AM
DaveJ and Bryan,
Thanks for your reply's.It is good to hear that they are of good quality. I read your original post Dave but thought it would be worth a current check on the latest batch as often this Chinese gear goes down hill after the first batch,I am looking for two of them and have just sent an question to see if I can get a break on the freight as they are quoted at $25-00 each which seems a bit high.I have not dealt with this store before, a few years ago when I was after a lathe he would not answer my questions about freight so I took my business elsewhere.I hope his position has changed.
Regards Bob

bollie7
24th November 2010, 08:09 AM
Yeah clamping to bed would be ideal, but ill need to make a clamp set for it. The T slots on the bed are 25mm, and I cant find anything to suit.

Brendan
Brendan
There is a bloke who advertises T slut nuts made to order on ebay occasionally. He's in Aus somewhere. I haven't bought from him but his prices were comparable to others. If I was after some special sizes I'd buy his rather than stuff around making my own.
He's not advertising on ebay at the moment but it might be worth keeping an eye out.
I have not bought from him and I have nothing to do with him so can't comment on the quality.

bollie7

Stustoys
24th November 2010, 07:26 PM
Hi krisfarm
ozmestore is pretty well known for being very slow to answer emails(or not answering them at all). The last question I asked him took 11 days to answer. I wanted two machine lights and asked about getting some spare bulbs at the same time, I've gone with LED lights instead. Having said that I've bought a fair few things off him and he has always be very good on his combined postage.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/f65/anyone-able-get-response-out-ozmestore-48425/

Stuart

krisfarm
24th November 2010, 09:01 PM
Stustoys,
I am getting some response from them, it is a bit on the slow side as he does not give you a direct answer to your questions. With a bit of luck I may have my order completed tomorrow, I have been on it most of today. Thanks for your advise.
Bob

Dave J
24th November 2010, 10:33 PM
I find if you put "A returning satisfied customer" or something similar in the heading or message you get a reply, if I don't I email again the next day.
Like Bob has said he can be vague in his replies.

Dave

19brendan81
25th November 2010, 09:03 AM
"T slut nuts "

These sound interesting bollie ; ) I wonder if this thread will now be blocked by cyber nanny!

Thanks for the heads up though, ill check it out.

Re Ozmestore I have found he is very slow to reply, but very quick to post which is good. Can be disconcerting though.

krisfarm
25th November 2010, 11:48 AM
Hi To all,
I have finally got my order away. Ozmestore1 has combined the two vises for a postage cost of $34-00 instead of $50-00 which is a nice saving, full credit to them for that.That works out at $72-00 per vise delivered which I feel is good value as long as the quality is fair to good.thanks to all.
Bob

Dave J
25th November 2010, 12:28 PM
The one I got, and I think Bryan commented his was the same, was dated a few years back on the little book that comes with it, so I think he clearing old stock.

Dave

eskimo
25th November 2010, 02:37 PM
The one I got, and I think Bryan commented his was the same, was dated a few years back on the little book that comes with it, so I think he clearing old stock.

Dave

my little booklet says it went thru inspection in 2006

Dave J
25th November 2010, 03:23 PM
I think mine is the same year.

Dave

bollie7
25th November 2010, 05:25 PM
"T slut nuts "

These sound interesting bollie ; ) I wonder if this thread will now be blocked by cyber nanny!

Oops, :roll:, dyslexic fingers.
bollie7

krisfarm
1st December 2010, 04:59 PM
Hi To all,
My two vises arrived today,complete in their little wooden boxes that coped quite a hammering. My experience with Chinese wooden boxes is they are lucky to make the trip in one piece as they use very low quality glue and poor fitting joints.The vises are certainly a big step up in quality compared to others that I have seen and look real good. The little inspection book shows 2006 as the year so they are all from the one batch.
Regards Bob

Dave J
1st December 2010, 05:26 PM
Hi Bob,
Good to hear you are happy with them and from the same batch, sometimes I think twice about telling people that things are good quality because if they get a crap one you feel bad.
I was contemplating buying another one after you got me thinking of different batches,and was waiting to see if they where still the same ones getting sold.
Thanks for the feed back I will order another one this week.
My box survived the trip, but it was packaged in a cardboard box with other things, so it was pretty protected from Aus post rough handling.
Dave

Polie
1st December 2010, 05:40 PM
Thanks guys for letting me know about these.

I ordered one but by the time the wooden box got to Geraldton it was too broken to use as fire wood, if I could find some red phosphorous I could make my own box of matches :U

Somehow the box absorbed all of the rough handling and the vise made it without a scratch. :2tsup:

Regards,
Chris

Dave J
1st December 2010, 06:19 PM
For the quailty I think they are a good buy.

Dave

Polie
1st December 2010, 06:53 PM
For the quailty I think they are a good buy.

Dave
The vise is a good buy but the wooden box isn't

krisfarm
1st December 2010, 08:36 PM
Hi Dave,
They certainly are good value, I wonder how many more they have in stock. I know what you mean about recommending a product only to see the quality disappear on the next batch, fortunately this did not happen.
Regards Bob

Dave J
1st December 2010, 10:14 PM
Hey Bob, those vises are going to look like miniture vises on your big mill.lol

Dave

krisfarm
2nd December 2010, 08:28 PM
Hi Dave,
At the moment I have the mill tied up with another project I am trying to finish, so I have not put the vise on the mill. I mainly brought the vises to use in the big vise and on my pedestal drill. When I put on in the vise I must remember to take a photo.
Bob

eskimo
3rd December 2010, 07:10 AM
The vise is a good buy but the wooden box isn't

yep mine broke when i went to pick it up.......its now been glued back together with pearl glue

jatt
3rd December 2010, 06:25 PM
Hopefuly I dont have to sack my seeing eye dog here. I didnt see any mention of jaw lift. How is it in that dept?

Dave J
3rd December 2010, 07:14 PM
The way the bolt is set up at an angle through the sliding jaw to under the bed, it pulls the jaw forward and down when tightening it. Depending on the job your holding and where it is held it stops most if not all jaw lift. That is the beauty of these type of vises, but they are more fiddly to set up.
The fixed jaw is a part of the vise body so their is no problems their.
I would like a larger model but the cost gets up their. Over in the US you can but large vises like these up to around 8 inch jaws at reasonable prices, but like most things they cost a fortune over here, and thats if you can even get them.

Dave

jatt
3rd December 2010, 07:27 PM
Thanks for that Dave J.

Terry B
10th December 2010, 04:36 PM
I have also bought one of these but it didn't come with a box at all. Seems like no loss.