PDA

View Full Version : Incra table saw fence?

wiggywiggy
1st November 2010, 10:05 PM
Is the incra table saw fence worth the money?

Sir Stinkalot
1st November 2010, 10:19 PM
The router fence is very good so I guess the table saw fence is just as good!

TP1
2nd November 2010, 02:25 AM
"worth the Money" means different things to different people. i was looking at getting the Incra table saw fence from the USA - Aussie prices were a bit troubling. The reports were excellent but I didn't proceed because the Incra fence system needs a large amount of extra space to the right of your table saw - around 1.5 metres. this is ok if you have oodles of space, not so if it is at a premium.

damian
3rd November 2010, 01:44 PM
As said depends. I think my ts/ls system is arguably the best piece of woodworking equipment I own, but if your not going to use it then obviously it's not worth 2c.

If your wanting a router table that also does dovetails/finger joints etc then an ultra lite system isn't too expensive. $149 pp

INCRA Ultra Lite Fence System (http://www.incrementaltools.com/INCRA_Ultra_Lite_Fence_System_p/ultralitesys.htm)

UltraLITE (http://www.woodworksupplies.com.au/category260_1.htm)

If you want to set up a table saw with router side table for say furniture making my system owes me about $2k. That got me an incra, a table saw and router wing and a triton 3 hp router. You've then got a versatile workstation that even a dill like me can use. Footprint is 72" by the width of the table saw plus about 4". Mine is on wheels so I can move it aside when not in use. If you added good infeed and outfeed slides you can break panels down on it, or you could make boxes on it. Not much use for turning :)

If you want to do machined joinery there is the gifkins (which is $329 for the standard package) and the leigh (12" superjig is $339). With both the gifkins and incra you need a router table, the leigh clamps onto a bench. The ultralite is cheaper and to do the different joints you only need paper patterns and bits, no extra templates or accessories to buy, but different people like different systems.

For Gifkins search on the name, for leigh try carbatec.

RobSys
14th November 2010, 03:56 PM
I'm about to buy one myself...

I already have a LS 25 System with the Wonder Fence (as well as the 1000SE mitre gauge and Mitre Express) and all work wonderfully!

The saw table rails and carriage will complete the system. I'm looking forward to it!

Since I also have a cast iron saw table extension for my router, the rails will serve for both sawing and routing...:U

markharrison
14th November 2010, 07:09 PM
I like Incra products. I think they are terrific. However, this is one case I think where better value may be found elsewhere. A good fence and the Wixey table saw fence system is probably just as good.

If you don't already have a good fence there are good Biesemeyer clones and other alternatives available from local suppliers for not a lot of money. Add the very very reasonable cost of the Wixey ($220) and you have a very good system.

RobSys
14th November 2010, 07:36 PM
Yeah, I know there are a few clones out there - and I've had one for the last two or three years... (and haven't been overly happy with it...)

But apart from the obvious benefits for saw table use, it will also provide a superb platform for my router table and the LS 25. (The router table is an extension to my saw table...) At the moment I'm using the LS as my main saw fence but aligning it accurately each time with the MagLock switches is a pain!

(but maybe I might import it direct from the States....)

Rob

TP1
14th November 2010, 08:18 PM
I like Incra products. I think they are terrific. However, this is one case I think where better value may be found elsewhere. A good fence and the Wixey table saw fence system is probably just as good.

If you don't already have a good fence there are good Biesemeyer clones and other alternatives available from local suppliers for not a lot of money. Add the very very reasonable cost of the Wixey ($220) and you have a very good system.

Or an even more reasonable cost Of $99 in the USA.

RobSys
14th November 2010, 08:32 PM
$99.00 !!!!!!

Where in the USA??? Incra quotes $399 on special! (Normal #450 or so...)

RobSys
14th November 2010, 08:46 PM
$99.00 !!!!!!

Where in the USA??? Incra quotes $399 on special! (Normal #450 or so...)

Sorry... Just realised you meant the Wixey gadget for $99.00....

Rob :oo:

damian
15th November 2010, 10:54 AM
3 things.

PWS sold be the bast mount kit for a very reasonable price. Cost of shipping the rails from the US is prohibitive. I just wish I could ahve got the longer rails.

The wixey is a different solution. It tells you where your fence is, the incra positions it. The point of the incra is you can drop the fence in EXACTLY the same spot time after time. Yes you can work around that problem, but for some work it's an extremely handy feature.

The incra ts system is so strong and stiff you could hang a table saw off it. The fence NEVER deflects when feeing big heavy work.

RobSys
15th November 2010, 11:22 AM
3 things.

PWS sold be the bast mount kit for a very reasonable price. Cost of shipping the rails from the US is prohibitive. I just wish I could ahve got the longer rails.

The wixey is a different solution. It tells you where your fence is, the incra positions it. The point of the incra is you can drop the fence in EXACTLY the same spot time after time. Yes you can work around that problem, but for some work it's an extremely handy feature.

The incra ts system is so strong and stiff you could hang a table saw off it. The fence NEVER deflects when feeing big heavy work.

Yeah... as soon as Graeme gets home I'm going to shoot over and buy it...

Thanks...

Dengue
15th November 2010, 02:47 PM
I was looking at the Wixey angle gauge from Rockler in the US, but they refuse to send it to Australia

RobSys
15th November 2010, 03:01 PM
I was looking at the Wixey angle gauge from Rockler in the US, but they refuse to send it to Australia

yeah... I had a look there for the incra fence as well... they don't allow for overseas posting at all!

Apparently the entire world comprises only North America... narrow minded sods! At least they're not too much of a nuisance here though... something to be grateful for I suppose...

RobSys
15th November 2010, 03:58 PM
HEADS UP !!! :2tsup:

Graeme @ PWS has just quoted me $395 (+ a bit for postage) for:

2 x 72” Rails
Mounting brackets
Mount panel, clamps etc.
Red steel mounting base for clamp assembly.

I'm re-using my LS25 positioner and its wonder fence to make a complete set-up for my 685 mm deep table.

The kit should be back in stock in a couple of weeks time...

Thanks Graeme! :2tsup:

TP1
16th November 2010, 02:44 AM

There are always Ebay sellers who will ship worldwide. In addition the Wixey angle gauge is pretty much a badge engineered version of a generic gauge like the one below. There are quite a few of these sold by different companies under different names, some of whom may ship internationally.

CMT Digital Angle Gauge (http://www.medfordtools.com/anglefinders/angle_gauge.html)

TP1
16th November 2010, 02:46 AM
There are always Ebay sellers who will ship worldwide. In addition the Wixey angle gauge is pretty much a badge engineered version of a generic gauge like the one below. There are quite a few of these sold by different companies under different names, some of whom may ship internationally.

CMT Digital Angle Gauge (http://www.medfordtools.com/anglefinders/angle_gauge.html)

Not to forget getting the same thing from Hong Kong even cheaper:

Digital Bevel Box Gauge Angle Protractor Inclinometer (eBay item 200541339089 end time 09-Dec-10 14:02:55 AEDST) : Industrial (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Digital-Bevel-Box-Gauge-Angle-Protractor-Inclinometer-/200541339089?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item2eb131fdd1)

damian
16th November 2010, 01:39 PM
yeah... I had a look there for the incra fence as well... they don't allow for overseas posting at all!

Apparently the entire world comprises only North America... narrow minded sods! At least they're not too much of a nuisance here though... something to be grateful for I suppose...

Be aware that shipping overseas requires more effort for them, forms to fill out, international credit card transaction AND being aware of a matrix of different postal regs for different countries (for exampls aus post doesn't carry parcels longer than 105 cm on any axis unless you buy the really expensive option). If 99% of their business comes from domestic customers it's a fair call for a business to turn away international customers.

I know it's frustrating but do try to see their side.

I think I bought the same kit as you. It was dearer for me then (exchange rate) but the price he charged me was very reasonable. I only wish I'd got the longer rails.

I am confident you'll love your system, and the manuals to set it up are all on incra's website. FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS, don't skimp. Trust me :)

Good luck!

markharrison
23rd November 2010, 10:18 PM

one one-hundredth of a millimetre repeatable accuracy is close enough for me. Your mileage may vary.

All of these are attributes of a Biesemeyer type fence. Carbatec have an acceptable clone (http://www.carbatec.com.au/carba-tec-heavy-duty-tablesaw-fence_c19341) for $329. Add $220 for the Wixey fence gizmo and you're gold.

You can buy the Wixey fence system from Rockler (http://www.rockler.com). However, the cost of the shipping made the whole deal only slightly cheaper than buying locally when I bought one earlier this year. Given where the dollar is now that may no longer still be true.

Big Shed
23rd November 2010, 10:24 PM

I have the Wixey digital fence, got it from the US together with the Wixey digital angle gauge for $US99 + postage. I had been considering buying the Incra saw fence at the time.

I have the LS25+Wonderfence on my router table, and it does a great job there. The Wixey on the table saw, combined with the already very good fen of the TL10S, does a lot of things that the Incra can't do, converting instantly from metric to Imperial measurements is but one.

damian
24th November 2010, 11:05 AM
one one-hundredth of a millimetre repeatable accuracy is close enough for me. Your mileage may vary.

I didn't make myself clear. Potential accuracy isn't the point, the incra does it for you. The wixey just tells you when you've got it right. More speed, less effort, no mistakes.

All of these are attributes of a Biesemeyer type fence. Carbatec have an acceptable clone (http://www.carbatec.com.au/carba-tec-heavy-duty-tablesaw-fence_c19341) for $329. Add $220 for the Wixey fence gizmo and you're gold.

$560 ? That's getting awfully close to incra money.

Anyway horses for courses.

Big Shed
24th November 2010, 11:16 AM
And how does the Incra handle metric Damian?

damian
24th November 2010, 01:25 PM
And how does the Incra handle metric Damian?

No argument. Just making the point that the incra is a positioner not a readout.

As I say horses for courses. The origional question was whether the incra was worth the price. The incra does xyz. If you want xyz then it might be. If you want abc or are happy with b, x & y then something else might suit better.

I guess I'm part of that generation that had to learn to convert fluently so the units don't bother me. I am always amazed at the look on the little girls face when I add up my groceries in my head. I wonder what they would do if all the calculators disappeared tomorrow :)

I have considered upgrading to a 32" positioner. When I do I am probably more likely to buy an imperial than a metric one. It just doesn't matter to me. YMMV :)

BobR
24th November 2010, 01:59 PM
I wonder what they would do if all the calculators disappeared tomorrow :)

I've been there when the cash register has gone down. Not a pretty sight. Operator could not work out the change required - goods had been entered before the crash. Sad really.

RobSys
5th December 2010, 03:48 PM
Hi people!

Well, I've finally finished setting up the Incra table saw jig - re-using my old LS25 jig and the Wonder Fence. Since I have a router table extension for the saw table, this setup covers all bases!

It works (and looks) great!

...and now - back to work! :U

Gwhat
5th December 2010, 05:56 PM
Hi Rob

Great to see that all the bits & pieces worked out, you should be very happy with the end result.

The only comment I'd make is that Incra say to take the WonderFENCE off when using it in sawing mode, as there is a potental snag point at the router bit opening.

It would be interesting to know how long it took to do the retrofit?

Regards

Grahame

damian
6th December 2010, 11:07 AM
I spent about 4 hours + fitting mine but:

I was taking my time

That included unpacking everything and reading the instructions.

I actually found the experience quite pleasant. The instructions are superb and the system is tremendously well thought out.

I second the suggestion about the wonder fence but I'd add a sub fence is a good idea. The anodising is tough but if you put a lot of work through it it'll eventually wear. If you make a sub fence from MDF you can fit it in seconds and it'll be good and repeatable.

RobSys
6th December 2010, 05:58 PM
Hi Rob

Great to see that all the bits & pieces worked out, you should be very happy with the end result.

The only comment I'd make is that Incra say to take the WonderFENCE off when using it in sawing mode, as there is a potental snag point at the router bit opening.

It would be interesting to know how long it took to do the retrofit?

Regards

Grahame

Hi Graham,

It took about 4 hours (perhaps 5?) for me as well... I also took my time and followed the destructions step by step... plus fiddling around fitting the new base plate to the guide housing...

It works great - but I have one comment, the whole assembly takes a bit of muscle to move up and down the table. Plus, I found out, my CI table is not quite flat *bugger!) but it shouldn't worry me...

Thanks for the help...

Rob