PDA

View Full Version : My big (kauri) knob! Step-by-step.

TTIT
1st November 2010, 10:45 PM
Well it's not a burl and it's not technically a crotch, but it's got flame figure, quilting (of sorts :shrug: ), bark inclusions, knots, spalting and it was big and roundish before I even got to it. Roughed it out about this time last year so I thought I'd better get it finished to take to Prossy for the instant gallery. I'm arriving after and Ken get there so I can hide it at the opposite end of the table to Kens stuff - wouldn't want to show him up :roll::roll:
Yeah - I know - he doesn't have much to worry about eh!

1. The victim - had to go to make way for a new classroom at one of my schools. Irony is that after the tree was dropped, funding was reduced and so was the size of the room - tree could have stayed :C
2. The knob as I received it - only wanted the main log for boards but the top bloke who cut it thought I might like 'the knob". The tree was 'topped' some years ago and you can see where the cap has gown over and completely covered the sawn end while it has developed some good size branches - was even one on the cap.
3. While the cap was growing over, the exposed heart was busy rotting with the spalting spreading down the log.
4. Took a chance on there being enough wood left to hold it on a faceplate to get started.
5. Started roughing with a carbide-tip to even out the knots. Note the tailstock up for safety - couldn't do that on a swivel-head or outboard - one of the many reasons I love my Stubby :U

TTIT
1st November 2010, 10:58 PM
6. Wheeeeee! :B
7. As soon as the old sawn edge appeared it was time to refine the shape without taking any more off that area - made it very difficult to come up with a profile I could live with.
8. Remounted on a chuck to shape the bottom - spalted area tearing out something shocking!
9. Had a hell of a job hollowing this out - below the cap there was nothing but resin-bound pithy crud - you couldn't cut it, you couldn't scrape it, all it did was roll up into balls and bounce the tools around inside the form. Eventually found timber all the way except a few areas where the bark-inclusions went right through - drowned them in CA to keep them in place.
10. Wrapped the outside in newspaper and left it for 12 months or so. A few small cracks around the bottom that I messed up with CA but I can live with it :shrug: .

TTIT
1st November 2010, 11:07 PM
11. Inside was sprayed with flat-black to hide just how rough it is :B. Many hours spent filling voids with ebony dust and CA, followed by 14 or 15 coats of wipe-on poly, sanding heavily between the first half dozen or so.
12. Buffed with Ubeaut Traditional to finish with.
13. Love the flames along the top of the old butt :cool:

Woodlee
1st November 2010, 11:17 PM
Wow!!!!!!!!!!!! is all I can say right now.

Kev

powderpost
1st November 2010, 11:29 PM
Bloody good effort, looks good as well. Looking forward to seeing it in the flesh.
Jim

Nai84
2nd November 2010, 02:42 AM
Hey TTIT

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW now thats a bloody master piece :bravaI love it awsome job mate well done say how much would something like that go for

Nai

Gil Jones
2nd November 2010, 05:13 AM
Very well done, TTIT.
A serious beauty:2tsup:
Gil

Grumpy John
2nd November 2010, 05:56 AM
Bloody ripper Vern. Every time I see one of your works I become disillusioned at my own pathetic efforts, but at the same time I am inspired to do better.
Well done :clap:.

bench1holio
2nd November 2010, 06:06 AM
awsome bit of work !

mkypenturner
2nd November 2010, 06:48 AM
wow
cant wait to see it in flesh also at prossy

wheelinround
2nd November 2010, 07:34 AM
:o Now thats an incredible piece well done :2tsup:

Allan at Wallan
2nd November 2010, 08:11 AM
Absolutely fantastic Vern.

Would have been worth walking to Proserpine just
to see it.:2tsup:

Allan

hughie
2nd November 2010, 08:23 AM
Vern, Well done :2tsup: a excellent out come to a challenging lump.

Little Festo
2nd November 2010, 08:27 AM
Great piece, great shape.Love it.

Peter

TTIT
2nd November 2010, 08:38 AM
Aaaaww shucks :B Thanks for the comments everyone :2tsup: Was always worried the shape just wasn't quite right because I was limited by the structure of the knob but the more I look at it, the more I like it now.

Sawdust Maker
2nd November 2010, 09:47 AM
Vern

very nice, great perseverance
I think the form works well and an interesting piece of wood

Reckon Ken'll be worried :2tsup:

efgee88
2nd November 2010, 10:04 AM
Beautiful Vern,

Nothing wrong with letting the piece dictate the shape. That way one is always sure to get the best figure out of the wood. But hey, who am I to preach to a master!

Cheers,

FrankG

tea lady
2nd November 2010, 10:17 AM
:wave: Bloody amazing!:2tsup:

Ed Reiss
2nd November 2010, 11:57 AM
Lots of work, TT...but having the Stubby made it easier no doubt.

Nice piece:2tsup:

thumb trimmer
2nd November 2010, 09:02 PM
:clap: :)( ... :wts: ... :)( :clap:

Fantastic work

dai sensei
2nd November 2010, 09:36 PM
Blo_dy amazing TTIT :2tsup:

artme
3rd November 2010, 07:55 AM
A masterful piece there Vern!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Love the timber, love the shape and a tremendous effort of skill on your part to do such a magic job.:):):)

bowl-basher
3rd November 2010, 08:24 AM
I am in awe .... Vern that is one of the best
Bowl-Basher

TTIT
3rd November 2010, 12:40 PM
Thanks all for the kudos :2tsup: Helps make the input worthwhile even though finishing off a piece like that is reward enough.

Lots of work, TT...but having the Stubby made it easier no doubt.

Nice piece:2tsup:Certainly wouldn't have tackled it on the old MC900 :;

nine fingers
3rd November 2010, 05:15 PM
Vern, I have passed the comment before, your a bloody marvel what you can create from a piece of wood that no one else would think of using.:2tsup::2tsup: cheers John.

Ironwood
3rd November 2010, 06:19 PM
Roughed it out about this time last year so I thought I'd better get it finished to take to Prossy for the instant gallery. I'm arriving after and Ken get there so I can hide it at the opposite end of the table to Kens stuff - wouldn't want to show him up :roll::roll:

Love your work Vern :2tsup:.

A masterpiece like that deserves to go in the middle of the table :wink:.

NeilS
4th November 2010, 11:40 AM
...:2tsup:

joevan
5th November 2010, 09:50 PM
Hello Vern,

This form is a piece of art. I love it. As some one said, the rough piece of wood should more or less dictate the final shape even though if the final product is a so called brake drum. I admire your perseverance, I am still a young man in a hurry, I still want to start and finish more or less in one day.

BR Joe v K.

Ironwood
6th November 2010, 08:10 AM
I had the pleasure of looking at this work of art in the flesh yesterday.

It looks even better than in the photo's, as you could appreciate.

The wild grain patterns are amazing, you could look at it for hours.

Well done Vern, for making the most out of that piece of woodd.

rsser
6th November 2010, 11:40 AM
That's a triumph of skill meeting design Vern.

Take a bow.

Christos
6th November 2010, 06:43 PM
Very nice.

Mark sanger
6th November 2010, 07:11 PM
Great thread and work. I always like to see how others go about what they do.

Lovely end piece.

Thanks for showing

Take care

Mark

mkypenturner
7th November 2010, 10:22 PM
hey vern
after seeing it in the flesh at prossy and asking what my idea of the form on screen to in the flesh in reguards to size
ITS BLOODY HUGE IN THE FLESH
and really amazing to see