PDA

View Full Version : help! 1-2-3 instructions for mixing resin for blanks.

wm460
2nd November 2010, 01:50 PM
Hi I am Mrs wm460. I have been looking through answers to ? about making your own blanks and frankly all I am is :?:?:?.
So here is my request! Can any one send simple clear 1-2-3 instructions on how to mix this stuff? Mr wm460 has purchased .....
clear casting resin, MEKPC, acetone, PVA release blue.
rich gold powder, aluminium powder, assorted colors in pearlex pigments, PSTF.
assorted moulds, tongue depressors, plastic cups, pipettes, has been collecting ice cream tubs and he has a pressure pot.
Thanks for any advice given.

mkypenturner
2nd November 2010, 05:26 PM
im also waiting to start this as well will be watching this to see what input is given

Big Shed
2nd November 2010, 05:59 PM
This would be a good start

YouTube - Polyester Casting Part 1

There are quite a few videos on PR casting on Youtube by Grib32 and others.

Also on IAP there are quite a few tutorials in the library.

gawdelpus
2nd November 2010, 07:00 PM
A few things :) mostly don't need pressure unless doing worthless wood types or certain inclusions that need pressure to force the resin between the substance (as in say Rice) ,I do mostly clear and without the pot ,standing the poly carefully in some hot water in its mixing container can thin it slightly and help it flow better ,but don't get water in with the poly :( . You will need approx 2% MEK activater so measure your quantities to maintain the right mix, a bit either way and the casting can be brittle or take a lot longer to gell and set hard. Yoy will always get some shrinkage so allow for that as well. Mixing colors and such is pretty much try and see, but only very small amounts are needed ,multiple colors in one cast are beyond me at this point in time . But as Big shed suggests try the U-Tube route for good visuals and tips, it all comes naturally in time , just like cooking hehe, cheers ~ John

dj_pnevans
3rd November 2010, 07:03 PM
Youtube is a good start. With the mek I use about 4 to 6 drops per blank and it works out well for me. If you put to much in is sets fast and may be brittle when turning. With being hot where you live try about 3 drops per blank and let sit over night. With colours some need more then others mix a bit and get an old tube dip it in and see if you can see through the colour. To mix more then one colour pour out resin for the amount of blanks with mek. Then pour into as many cups as you want colours. Then pour into moulds. You can pour one at a time or two, if you do one at a time use a tooth pick to mix the colours. I hope this helps, you can pm me any time.
David

wm460
5th November 2010, 07:31 PM
Hey thanks every one for your input. Fred: thanks the u-tube V has been very helpful, just what I was looking for. Troy: Hope you found the u-tube V as helpful as I did, good luck with your blanks. John: Thanks for advice about PP and David: Thanks heaps it does get very hot here so see how I go. I am a shift worker so will try and get my act together and use the good advice given. Keep you posted. Mrs wm460.