PDA

View Full Version : HELP, lathe is broken:-(

meuls69
2nd November 2010, 09:59 PM
Hey guys.

I have an issue, it seems that the pully has moved towards the casing and now it wont spin. I cant get the pulley off and it is really p#%@ing me off:((! Any one know anyone around brisbane who could fix it:?. The key seems to be stuck, even though the grub screw is out.

nosnow
2nd November 2010, 10:08 PM
Were in Brissie are you

jimbur
2nd November 2010, 10:22 PM
Is there another grub screw under the first one you took out?

meuls69
2nd November 2010, 10:31 PM
we have had it off before, no more screws there:2tsup: here are some pics.

meuls69
2nd November 2010, 10:33 PM
im at everton park but the lathe is at rosewood, but i will bring it up if anyone knows someone:-)

Paul39
3rd November 2010, 04:19 AM
Squirt WD-40 or your favorite penetrating oil into the grub screw hole and at the end. Let sit overnight.

Give a gentle tap on the pulley end of the shaft and see if it will turn. Use a brass or hardwood. If the pulley is resting on only one side of the housing cut a shallow wedge from wood and put against the opposite side.

Repeat gentle taps until it moves. If it does not move, heat pulley with hair dryer or heat gun, apply more oil, tap gently.

Get professional help if tapping with no more force than to drive a 6d finishing nail does not move it.

You do not want to damage the bearings or mushroom the end of the shaft.

hughie
3rd November 2010, 10:29 AM
Squirt WD-40 or your favorite penetrating oil into the grub screw hole and at the end. Let sit overnight.

Give a gentle tap on the pulley end of the shaft and see if it will turn. Use a brass or hardwood. If the pulley is resting on only one side of the housing cht a shallow wedge form wood and put against the opposite side.

Repeat gentle taps until it moves. If it does not move, heat pulley with hair dryer or heat gun, apply more oil, tap gently.

Get professional help if tapping with no more force than to drive a 6d finishing nail does not move it.

You do not want to damage the bearings or mushroom the end of the shaft.
That's what I would do, good advise and as stated take it easy. It sounds like its seized on the shaft or maybe there a second grub screw at 90' to the first one, check for that as well.

gawdelpus
7th November 2010, 09:01 PM
Shine a light down the grubscrew hole to make sure that there is not a second one , sometimes 2 grub screws are used ,one to lock the other . Other wise good advise has been previously offered , all else fails a gear puller may be needed ,such as used on cars to remove harmonic balancers etc. good luck with it though . cheers ~ John

joe greiner
7th November 2010, 09:45 PM
Among the usual suspects, I'd guess the key-to-pulley interface is the most likely culprit, because of dis-similar metals. With the shaft vertical, apply penetrating oil to the region between the key and the pulley, along with the other treatments.

I had a similar problem replacing pulleys on a MC-900 clone, with the replacement pulleys in hand. Alas, the only way I could get the old inner pulley off was by shattering it and removing the remnants. Still needed crowbar assistance (two of them). Replaced the key, too.

If all else fails, pulley replacement might be the last resort. And a commitment to liberal lubrication in the future.

Cheers,
Joe