PDA

View Full Version : Attaching shelves to steel framing

JMB
3rd November 2010, 11:27 AM
Good morning. I am wanting to attach a wall mounted unit to steel framing. The unit will be made from pine and ply and will be 1200 x 300 x 250mm as per the drawing. I am wondering if anyone can give me some advice about how to attach the unit to the steel framing, which is causing me a lot of worry.

BRADFORD
3rd November 2010, 12:45 PM
What sort of steel framing?
Steel stud wall, Shed frame?
I think we need more info to be ble to advise.

JMB
3rd November 2010, 01:31 PM
Sorry Bradford, I didnt explain that very well.

I want to attach the shelving unit to an internal plasterboard wall which has steel framing. The building is a demountable and the job is for an animal rescue group. The drawers in this unit will get a lot of usage so it has to be very securely attached to the wall.

Dave50
3rd November 2010, 01:34 PM
locate and mark the studs then screw the unit straight into them with "tek" screws, watch for water, power

fletty
3rd November 2010, 02:48 PM
As Dave said!
If you go to the fastener section of Bunnings they have screws marked as being for metal. They have a specially shaped tip that acts like a drill to make its own hole through the plasterboard and the metal stud and then nips up tight. They are however much easier to put in with a power tool , electric drill or impact driver. For length you need the thickness of your timber, the thickness of the plasterboard and then AT LEAST12mm,
fletty

JMB
3rd November 2010, 02:56 PM
Thanks Dave and Fletty, really good to get your advice. I am presuming that these tek screws would be about 12 - 14g?