PDA

View Full Version : Woodturning courses

bowerbird
3rd November 2010, 08:55 PM
Hi,

Does anyone know of any miniature woodturning courses in Australia? Not just a weekend course, something more in depth and hands on. If not, I might see what is available O.S.

Thanks.

BB

John Lucas
4th November 2010, 08:08 AM
If your talking about actually turning miniatures your welcome at my house although it's a long way from over there. Tennessee in the USA is a good swim from any of your continents. I turn about as small as you can go. If miniature means short classes then I can't help you.

bowerbird
5th November 2010, 09:08 PM
Thank you for your reply and very kind offer, John. I mean longer than a weekend. Yes, tiny stuff!

To get approval for funding I need to be sure that there are no courses in Australia first. The funding is only available for studying overseas (and won't be granted if a course is available here). Wherever the course is it would probably need to be structured or semi-structured.

I am really hoping there aren't any courses here so that I can go to the Canada, USA or UK. I'm still looking into it but so far it seems they pay for the fares, tuition and accommodation. :D

I'll send you a PM soon.

If your talking about actually turning miniatures your welcome at my house although it's a long way from over there. Tennessee in the USA is a good swim from any of your continents. I turn about as small as you can go. If miniature means short classes then I can't help you.

bowerbird
5th November 2010, 09:24 PM
I've clicked on your attached photo but it won't open or enlarge it, so I can't see what it is. :?:sad1: Looks like it might be something seriously tiny in front of a coin.

issatree
5th November 2010, 09:39 PM
Hi bowerbird,
First question, where in Oz are you. PM me if you don't wish to reveal all.
I turn small Items, & have been doing so for just on 30 years. So what do you call miniature. Size indication will do, & maybe I also can help you in some way.
Regards,
issatree.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

bowerbird
5th November 2010, 10:00 PM
Thanks, I'm in NSW. Sorry I don't know what specific size is deemed to be miniature.

I will buy or make some miniature turning tools next year. The smallest I've done (apart from a keyring) is an almost miniature goblet. 55mm high x 25mm wide. I want to turn items smaller than those dimensions. I will post the goblet pic on my profile.

I won't get any funding to do a course in Australia so I am hoping to find a course overseas.

Hi bowerbird,
First question, where in Oz are you. PM me if you don't wish to reveal all.
I turn small Items, & have been doing so for just on 30 years. So what do you call miniature. Size indication will do, & maybe I also can help you in some way.
Regards,
issatree.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Blarney
11th November 2010, 05:02 PM
Sounds to me like you want a free overseas holiday.:wink::D

bowerbird
11th November 2010, 05:55 PM
Thank you to the people who have responded with very kind offers.

The Foundation who is providing the grants makes certain conditions: one being that funding is not provided for courses within Australia.

If any one knows of an accredited Minature Woodturning course within Australia then that would be fantastic. However, I can't afford course fees, accommodation and travel expenses within Australia (nor overseas) on the Disability Suport Pension.

Neither can I afford to take my Physiotherapist and a suitcase full of medication with me.

An accredited Minature Woodturning course (Overseas) that meets the conditions of the Foundation may give me a once in a lifetime opportunity, that's IF I was successful in receiving the grant. I would still be sturggling to pay for updating my passport and Travel/Medical Insurance. However, a grant would radically reduce the overal expenditure.

A grant would also enable me to continue passing on my skills (gratis) to others who are interested (including my friend's 13 year old son, who has done extremely well in two lessons and could have his woodturned items in a gallery within two years).

Any wisecracks regarding this post will be ignored. I will answer genuine replies.

Thank you. :)

BB

Hi,

Does anyone know of any miniature woodturning courses in Australia? Not just a weekend course, something more in depth and hands on. If not, I might see what is available O.S.

Thanks.

BB

hughie
16th November 2010, 08:03 PM
bowerbird,

John Lucas would be your man, he turns about as small as it gets and has done so for quite awhile now.

bowerbird
16th November 2010, 08:09 PM
thank you Hughie,

Does John Lucas teach an accredited course on miniature turning?

bowerbird,

John Lucas would be your man, he turns about as small as it gets and has done so for quite awhile now.

wheelinround
16th November 2010, 08:23 PM
BB I saw your post a while back I have not heard of a course as such.

Sadly the gent who taught both my wife and I past away this time last year. Col was a master at turning miniatures he used to display at the wood show on the Ornamental Turners stand.

His 5c piece with 17 miniature cobblets some with captive rings was always an eye catcher.

I see that above you still have not answered the question of where you are located. :?

The Ornamental Turners Group have a number of fellows who turn miniature using home built miniature lathes.

bowerbird
16th November 2010, 08:56 PM
Thank you for your reply.

I am sure Col will be missed a lot.

I did say NSW.

BB I saw your post a while back I have not heard of a course as such.

Sadly the gent who taught both my wife and I past away this time last year. Col was a master at turning miniatures he used to display at the wood show on the Ornamental Turners stand.

His 5c piece with 17 miniature cobblets some with captive rings was always an eye catcher.

I see that above you still have not answered the question of where you are located. :?

The Ornamental Turners Group have a number of fellows who turn miniature using home built miniature lathes.

wheelinround
16th November 2010, 09:13 PM
Thank you for your reply.

I am sure Col will be missed a lot.

I did say NSW.

BB Maybe you should be more specific as to where in NSW considering the size of the state.
The type of miniature turning your after ie furniture, vessles, tools.

As to an accredited course I doubt it.

How ever there are books on miniature turning and web sites http://www.woodturningonline.com/Turning/Projects/miniatures.html