PDA

View Full Version : Celtic knot bowl!

Gasman
4th November 2010, 10:29 AM
Hi all
Not posted for a while thought I`d show this bowl I`ve been working on. 12" Ash straight sided bowl. Ash not the easiest wood to burn a design on as the grain wants to take your pyro nib with it :?
I`d be interested in your views on this design I`ve come up with, too fussy? about right?

http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee357/585262/IMG_1066.jpg

and the bottom
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee357/585262/IMG_1068.jpg

Cheers
Steve

Greg Ward
4th November 2010, 11:37 AM
And in your spare time?????
Wonderful
Greg

Ed Reiss
4th November 2010, 11:46 AM
Hi Gasman...welcome to the forum.:U

Nicely done, but feel that the flat sawn grain pattern in the central bowl takes away from the celtic knot decoration, which is grand by the way.

A wood without the oval pattern, such as quatersawn oak, may have been better.

wheelinround
4th November 2010, 01:02 PM
Now thats a work worth seeing well done :2tsup:

Manuka Jock
4th November 2010, 01:12 PM
Slainte Gasman :2tsup: top stuff

Picko
4th November 2010, 01:31 PM
Very nice bit of work there Steve. More patience than me!

Picko

Ozkaban
4th November 2010, 02:16 PM
Wow, that's pretty awesome pyro work :2tsup:

A wood without the oval pattern, such as quatersawn oak, may have been better.

I'd have to agree with Ed, I think. Still, very impressed :cool:

Cheers,
Dave

artme
4th November 2010, 09:14 PM
Fabulous work there Gasman!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Have to agree with Ed about the central bowl. Plain would be better.

Willy Nelson
4th November 2010, 09:28 PM
Hey Diddle!!!!!
Stunning work, but I have to agree with the comments regarding timber choice
I would love to be able to do that. Maybe I could turn em, you burn em!
Regards
Willy

I_wanna_Shed
4th November 2010, 09:59 PM
Fantastic work there Steve. I too, also commonly burn the work that comes off my lathe - but that's in the fireplace!

The design is great, I think its a really good effect. Since you asked for a bit of a review, I'd just echo the comments already said about the grain in the bowl taking a bit of the focus away from the pyro. Still, if I saw that at some markets I'd still buy it!

Looking forward to seeing more!

Nathan.

dai sensei
4th November 2010, 09:59 PM
Beautiful work :2tsup:, love the burning :cool:

orificiam
4th November 2010, 10:10 PM
Very Nice work Steve.Congratulation.:2tsup:
Cheers Tony.:)

mkypenturner
4th November 2010, 10:15 PM
beautifull work :2tsup:

Gasman
5th November 2010, 02:48 AM
Thanks for the kind words guys :B
When I turned the bowl I thought it had a nice grain not thinking it would detract from the pyro I had planned for it :C. Lesson learned :doh:
Regards
Steve

Jim Carroll
5th November 2010, 09:45 AM
Nice work chris, has a mesmerising effect making you think back to the celtic times Dr who type thing.

How far did you sand as getting a smooth finish makes it easier for the pyro nibs to go the way you want.
Use the skew type nib for all your line work as this will cut through instead of following the grain.

Using a 4mm ball type tip also helps to fill in the parts you want filled and by adjusting the heat will give you dark or light effects.

Gasman
5th November 2010, 10:17 AM
Thanks for that Jim. Have to get myself a skew nib as I only have wire nibs that I`ve bent myself . Did the bowl using one simple bent wire nib for the outline and one homemade spoonbit for the shading Got a good woodturning show coming near me soon will check out the pyro nibs available.:U
Regards
Steve

Hors
5th November 2010, 11:20 AM
Nice job

Just a comment;

"why break the pattern into four segments on top and have it continuous on bottom"

Maybe have continous pattern on top and bottom.

Well done.

munruben
5th November 2010, 11:29 AM
Nice work, looks great.:2tsup:

Manuka Jock
5th November 2010, 03:05 PM
Nice job

Just a comment;

"why break the pattern into four segments on top and have it continuous on bottom"

Maybe have continous pattern on top and bottom.

Well done.

Just a thought .
Earth Wind Fire and Water round the top , kept true by Balance at the base.

Mark sanger
5th November 2010, 08:01 PM
Hi

This is really nice work and it takes a good hand and eye to get it right. Very nice indeed and I like the design on the base as it adds that little bit extra.

Take care

Mark

Oddjob1
5th November 2010, 08:56 PM
Hi Steve,

you take me back to when my Dad would turn up bowls and vases in his little shed. My favorite was to sit under the lathe while he was making chess pieces out of Aust Red Cedar! Could never figure out how he did the Knights, he just told me, you had to be quick with the chisel! I believed him! I was only 6. He would give me a bowl he'd made out Kauri pine, fine grain easy to burn, and I was commissioned to burn the design he'd traced on it with the aid of a magnifying glass and the Sun! My young eyes handled it well after the first few seconds or so it took me to focus, try it out, get that dot pin pointed and bam! I negotiated my way around designs, "Don't go over that line!!!" pretty well I thought. some similar to yours but not so complex.
This was of course between the ants that were fun to incinerate.
Try finer grained darker wood and a magnifying glass on a hot day, you will have fun!
No not the ants!

Nice work mate...Oddjob1:2tsup:

Nai84
6th November 2010, 12:49 AM
Very nice love the desgn burnt in to it:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Frank&Earnest
9th November 2010, 11:11 AM
Thanks for that Jim. Have to get myself a skew nib as I only have wire nibs that I`ve bent myself . Did the bowl using one simple bent wire nib for the outline and one homemade spoonbit for the shading Got a good woodturning show coming near me soon will check out the pyro nibs available.:U
Regards
Steve

Just coincidentally, Steve, Sunday I saw Terry Scott making a skew nib using the thickest wire and flattening it with a hammer on the vice's anvil. He also makes all his nibs. FWIW.

Gasman
10th November 2010, 12:13 AM
Interesting that Frank might have a go. I did try a knife edge type nib recently that sort of worked but you`ve got the grey matter going now :)
Streve