PDA

View Full Version : Cool shape

Nai84
4th November 2010, 06:25 PM
Hey Everyone

I turned this one up last night practicing on my shape and this is what happened, It is made from cape lilac and I sealed it with linseed oil and put it in its shavings to dry, Does anyone know how long I should leave it to dry for

Ian

Mark sanger
4th November 2010, 08:06 PM
HI

Looking good.

I turn 99% of my work from green wood. The best way unless you are stock piling roughed work is to weigh it and make a note.

Then every week weigh it until the weight stabilises, this will then be in equilibrium with the environment.

then I generally take my pieces into my home to let them settle further for a couple of weeks, then you can be certain that when you finish turn there should not be any movement.

If you produce dozens of roughed bowl at a time I leave mine in plastic bags and reverse the bag ever 2-3 days until there the mositure can not be felt within the walls of the bag. Then I just leave the top open to allow the moisture to escape but stop any air movement around the pieces which can cause them to split.

Hope this helps. So sorry I can not directly answer your question as it comes down to the wood and the environment you are seasoning it in. But a bowl like this I would expect to be seasoned in the UK within 4 months if not shorter.

Take care

Mark

Nai84
4th November 2010, 08:11 PM
Hey Mark

Thanks for the info it will help heaps thanks again

Ian

artme
4th November 2010, 09:06 PM
Good work on that Nai!!!:):):)

Willy Nelson
4th November 2010, 09:35 PM
I used to rough turn items, but found it was too restrictive if I needed a specific shape or size.
I Would leave it for 6-12 months. Generally 6 months per inch thickness. You should turn them and leave the wall thickness 10% of the dia. I seal mine in end grain sealer. I leave on the shelf of the garage. I am currently finishing some that I rough turned 5 years ago.
Cheers
Willy

mkypenturner
4th November 2010, 10:18 PM
I am currently finishing some that I rough turned 5 years ago.
Cheers
Willy
im hearing that one to :rolleyes: ive some one that i didnt even know i had one was 10 yrs

Nai84
4th November 2010, 11:59 PM
I used to rough turn items, but found it was too restrictive if I needed a specific shape or size.
I Would leave it for 6-12 months. Generally 6 months per inch thickness. You should turn them and leave the wall thickness 10% of the dia. I seal mine in end grain sealer. I leave on the shelf of the garage. I am currently finishing some that I rough turned 5 years ago.
Cheers
Willy

im hearing that one to :rolleyes: ive some one that i didnt
even know i had one was 10 yrs

Hey Willy

Wow 5 years that a long time, So if I want to finish it sooner how do I go about that :?

Hey mkypenturner

WOW ten years OMG thats a long time mate how did turn out in the end

Ian