PDA

View Full Version : Green woodworking

Grubby
5th November 2010, 09:58 AM
Hi! hope this Forum gets plenty of avtivity as our Association is about to commence a regular weekly activity in regard to working with green timber. We will be be looking at working in general wood work but especially in turning. So hope we can report and exchange useful hints.:2tsup:

derekh
5th November 2010, 05:24 PM
Grubby,

I'm still a newbie but I'd be interested in hearing more about your association, I'm in Narangba. Along with 5 drawknives, a froe, an adze, broad-axe, scorp, travisher etc, I built myself a pole/bungy lathe and shave horse and used them to build a windsor chair. I actually approached and had a positive response from the Abbey organising committee when I asked about demonstrating a pole lathe at their annual medieval festival.

regards
Derek

Grubby
5th November 2010, 11:33 PM
Hello Dereck. The list of tools/implements that you use sounds very interesting. Certainly a lot different to the modern equipment that we use in our work shops. I am familiar with the Abbey Museum and I'm sure that would be right up your alley. Our group is the Bribie and District Woodcrafters Association. You can view our web site bribiewoodies.org.au There you can find out a little about us including contacts.
Regards, Grubby.

jrich
12th December 2010, 11:42 AM
Hi I have recently began to cut timber from fallen trees with a chainsaw and proceeding to making that into various timber projects from building material to furniture. with a lot of the stuff I have cut from gum and others it has shown to be the right approach to run the material all the way through to a dreesed ,finished item & then coat & seal the timber to halt forms of bacteria attack and to a large degree shaking timber.
I'll be watching this forum for tips and points of interest from the posts that follow.TIP: paint the ends of new timber with anything paint to slow or STOP rapid drying through end grain ,which accelerates splitting and shake