PDA

View Full Version : Non Morse Taper Live Center ?

Plushy
5th November 2010, 11:11 PM
Hi Everyone ,
Does anyone know where i can purchase a Live Centre that doesnt have a morse taper ? My 3DS Capstan Lathe came with a Live centre which has a straight shank 1 1/2 " in Diameter .

thanks for any help ,

James

Dave J
5th November 2010, 11:30 PM
Hi,
I would suggest you make a 1 1/2 in strait sleeve with a Morse taper bored into it so it takes the commercial MT live centres. I think you will have a hard time getting a 1 1/2 in strait one.

Dave

Plushy
6th November 2010, 01:11 AM
Dave ,
I wish i could but my 3DS cant turn Tapers , it doesn`t have a compound slide or a taper turning attachment :(

James

pipeclay
6th November 2010, 07:39 AM
Piper Tools have them,may cost a bit.

You can getParallel OD M/T1 to M/T4 you can get these in 1 1/2" OD.

You may even consider getting a Standard Parallel od Socket and machining up a sleeve to the correct OD of the sleeve and the 1 1/2" OD you require,may be cheaper than buying a Parallel sleeve allready at 1 1/2" OD.

Dave J
8th November 2010, 12:54 AM
I could make you a 1 1/2 inch to MT 2,3 or 4 adapter up if you want to go that way.

Dave

Plushy
8th November 2010, 10:48 AM
Hi Dave ,
thanks for the offer . I have found out they actually sell a Turret Socket which "Permit the use of Morse taper tools in straight hole mounting applications"
Precision Specialty Tooling in Preston ,Melbourne them so i have placed an order to get three so problem solved .

Thankyou pipeclay for pointing out piper tools .

cheers James