PDA

View Full Version : ER40 chuck for lathe spindle

eskimo
6th November 2010, 09:55 AM
is it ok to use a MT4 ER40 collet chuck and associated collets in the spindle of a lathe?

Stustoys
6th November 2010, 10:07 AM
As long as it has a draw bar I believe you'll be fine.
Stuart

Dave J
6th November 2010, 02:34 PM
I have a MT3 to ER32 that I use in the lathe, I put it in the MT5 to MT3 adapter that came with the lathe. I find I can get it running pretty true for accurate jobs by running a dial indicator on a drill bit shank in a collet, then turning either the MT adapter, or the collet chuck until it almost runs perfectly true.
I have not seen a MT5 to ER40 collet chuck, so a MT3 would work with the adapter that come with your lathe like it has for me.

Dave

barkersegg
6th November 2010, 02:51 PM
Eskimo

I have an AL320 with a MT5 spindle - not the same as you asked, but same predicament perhaps?? Came up with a solution to the problem of fitting an ER40 to it by making and using a back plate adapter........and bypassing any tapers.

The main issue I had in fitting the ER40 was that I wanted to use the larger through bore in the lathe for lengths of rod so ruled out using a drawbar or similar and just bored out the base of the ER40......so it's open right through........

Probably best if I started a new thread rather than hyjack yours and will post some pics as I did it so you can see how it is possible...... it's not the only way of doing it, but worked for me........Lee :2tsup:

nadroj
6th November 2010, 03:28 PM
Probably best if I started a new thread rather than hyjack yours and will post some pics as I did it so you can see how it is possible...... it's not the only way of doing it, but worked for me........Lee :2tsup:

Please do Lee, I'd be interested.

Jordan