PDA

View Full Version : Dovetail bits moving

Trev6
6th November 2010, 08:53 PM
Hi all,

I was cutting some half blind DT's today in a leigh D4r and was having trouble with the chatter of the bit causing it to slide out of the collet thus creating a deeper than required cut on the pin board. Has anyone else had this problem or am I doing something wrong?

What I am using, Hitachi TR-12
leigh jig with supplied bits and 12.5--8 mm reducer
maple drawer sides and some sort of harder wood for the front pin board ( timber come of the sides of a single bed.... some sort of oak maybe ????)
neither the router or jig has done a lot of work, only hobby stuff

any help or ideas

Thanks, Trev.

Woodlee
7th November 2010, 10:13 AM
Had similar problem yesterday ,I was just familiarising myself with the D4R as I've just acquired it .
When cutting the tails with the dovetail bit ,I got a fair bit
of chatter . Then I noticed when changing the bit to cut the pins that the cutter was loose .
I had another practise shot after wards and made sure I leaned on the spanner to tighten the collet .I had no problem after that.

Kev

Col
7th November 2010, 01:32 PM
I too am a new Leigh D4R user and experienced the same when using the reducer in a Triton router. It slipped even when applying extreme force when tightening. I ended up buying an 8mm collet for my Dewalt router so I didn't have to use the reducer. Problem solved.

Col...

Trev6
7th November 2010, 07:48 PM
Col thanks for the collet tip, what model Dwalt did you use and where did you get the 8mm collet from?,as i could do the same with my 621.

thanks
Trevor

Col
8th November 2010, 02:15 PM
Col thanks for the collet tip, what model Dwalt did you use and where did you get the 8mm collet from?,as i could do the same with my 621.

thanks
Trevor

I have both a DW625 and the DW621. The 8mm collets are on ebay if you do a worldwide search. I got mine from the UK but I am sure you could buy them locally from a reputable Dewalt dealer. About $30.00 with postage from UK.

Col.

rayintheuk
9th November 2010, 08:58 PM
Try lining up one of the slots in the reducing sleeve insert with one of the collet slots before tightening. This shouldn't be necessary, but with some coarse-threaded collets it can help. :)

Ray