PDA

View Full Version : What Wood & Finish To Use

Nai84
7th November 2010, 12:19 AM
Hey Guys

I have a question I have a few baby rattles to make what is the best wood to use and what is the best finish to use that will not be harmfull to little ones :2tsup:

Ian

wheelinround
7th November 2010, 11:14 AM
U-beaut finishes or none at all depending on the wood or even a normal wax:2tsup:

Ed Reiss
7th November 2010, 11:51 AM
Maple for the wood and Walnut oil for the finish (it's food safe and will never turn rancid)

Nai84
7th November 2010, 08:15 PM
U-beaut finishes or none at all depending on the wood or even a normal wax:2tsup:

Maple for the wood and Walnut oil for the finish (it's food safe and will never turn rancid)

Hey WR

Ok thanks were do I get that from :2tsup:

Hey Ed Reiss

So does that mean when they suck on it it wont seep into the wood :? and make the wood fragile :?

Ian

Tony Morton
7th November 2010, 10:02 PM
Hi Ian
Be careful with any oil from any nut for kids stuff can cause very bad reactions. I would use nothing clean regulary with kid safe soap and water.

cheers Tony

Nai84
7th November 2010, 10:12 PM
Hey Tony

Thanks for that tip I will keep that In mind, So there nothing you can think of that I can use:2tsup:

Ian

stuffy
7th November 2010, 10:40 PM
Hi Ian,

The friction polish stuff I gave you is safe for kids when dry.
U-beaut products are available at Carba-tec.
For wood you need a fairly close grained hardwood that's not too heavy.
You need the rings to be strong enough to take some bashing, but not too heavy for bubs to wave around.

Best wishes
Steve
:)

Nai84
7th November 2010, 10:51 PM
Hi Ian,

The friction polish stuff I gave you is safe for kids when dry.
U-beaut products are available at Carba-tec.
For wood you need a fairly close grained hardwood that's not too heavy.
You need the rings to be strong enough to take some bashing, but not too heavy for bubs to wave around.

Best wishes
Steve
:)

Hey Stuffy

Once again life saver :B, Cool well know its settled I will use that stuff you gave me :U any suggestion on the wood mate :doh:

Ian

Say hi to sam for me

comgreserv
8th November 2010, 03:30 AM
I've seen olive wood used with great success and no need to finnish due to natural oil content, simply super fine sand:)

mick61
11th November 2010, 09:41 PM
use bees wax as a finish a little honey never hurt anyone.
Mick:D

Nai84
11th November 2010, 10:37 PM
Ture ture very ture thanks

Ian