PDA

View Full Version : First Pepper Grinder

gawdelpus
7th November 2010, 09:24 PM
My first attempt at something more substantial then a "Pen" hehe It's a pepper grinder in some hairy oak from up around toowoomba way .With lots of guidance from my good friend Neil (dai sensei) I got to work , first the blank was just too long for my woodfast so it went into my metal lathe :) , this allows for coffee time and cigs while the tool travels along by itself hehe. After the log was rounded and cut to length it was step drilled in the lathe ,and some plugs made to fit the bores and off to the woodfast for finish turning .Around this time Neil turned up for a coffee on his way home so of course the shaping went much easier under his hands on guidance :) . This was a bit hard on my tools which are middle of the road ,fine for pen work ,but were tested on this stuff. Finally sanded to 1200 grit and polished with U-Beaut "glow" after polishing some fine cracks appeared which needed remedial action , I understand the stress relief can cause this . redid the polishing and sanding and I am quite pleased with the result , this is for a Chef (special) but of course my wife now wants one :( It will sit for a while waitinf to see if it moves any more before I insert the crush mechanism ,I hope the pics will tell the story , cheers John

Jethrow
7th November 2010, 09:49 PM
Nice job, wish I could turn as well, I belive im a very average turner. I guess I cant be good at everything lol.

mkypenturner
7th November 2010, 10:00 PM
nice work

artme
8th November 2010, 09:50 AM
Good one John!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Ozkaban
8th November 2010, 01:02 PM
gotta be happy with that :2tsup:

I turned my wife a pepper mill for her birthday last year, and this year finally added the salt mill to it... 2 birthdays covered with one gift :2tsup: they're really run to turn as well.

Cheers,
Dave

Sawdust Maker
8th November 2010, 03:49 PM
John
nice work
nice bit of wood as well :2tsup:

orificiam
8th November 2010, 04:29 PM
Hi John you've got to be happy with that, Nice Shape,beautiful wood, what else can you wish for.
Cheers Tony.:)

Rum Pig
8th November 2010, 04:41 PM
That looks good John well done:2tsup::2tsup:
I have made a few pepper mills but none for SWMBO she has got the cheap woollies ones:D one day I might make her some:rolleyes:

orraloon
8th November 2010, 05:08 PM
Very nice job on a great looking bit of wood.
Regards
John

dai sensei
8th November 2010, 10:38 PM
Saw it in the flesh tonight, looks great :2tsup:

Makes me want to go cut another piece of Hairy Oak now to make one myself :rolleyes:

Nai84
8th November 2010, 11:53 PM
Hey gawdelpus

WOW I love the shape of the whole thing and that wood looks fantastic, how did the crack end up in the end :2tsup:

Ian

gawdelpus
9th November 2010, 12:12 AM
The crack has been repaired with thin CA ,re sanded and polished,and under advisement from a couple of top turners I will do further coats of "Glow" and leave for a day or so between each session, this particular timber has an odd ability to end up with high polished patches and some a bit duller , several coats should sort that problem . But it does look pretty good to me so far ,these pictures were taken after the first sand and polish :)
cheers ~ John

munruben
10th November 2010, 08:21 AM
Nice work John. Looks great :2tsup:

Ed Reiss
10th November 2010, 01:37 PM
Not much different than turning a pen...just bigger and shaped a bit different:roll::D

Well done John...looks good :2tsup:

BTW...auto tool feed is just not fair!!!! :no: