PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Bat

GSRocket
7th November 2010, 10:24 PM
A friend has ask me to have a go at making a baseball bat.
In the USA they use White Ash or Maple because it's hard, light and strong.
Is there any Australian wood that could be the equivalent?
What do they use for sledge hammer handles?

Rifleman1776
8th November 2010, 04:45 AM
Hickory is a good choice. Do you have an equivalent in Oz?

NCArcher
8th November 2010, 07:44 AM
Spotted Gum may do the job

Eldanos of KDM
8th November 2010, 09:20 AM
Yeah, I just took this from a Janka hardness scale list- Bit hard, but should be fine if the weight feels the same-
<TABLE border=0 rules=none cellSpacing=0 frame=void cols=7><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: rgb(0,0,0) 1px solid; BORDER- rgb(0,0,0) 1px solid" height=17 align=left>Gum, spotted; Australian hickory</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: rgb(0,0,0) 1px solid; BORDER- rgb(0,0,0) 1px solid" align=middle sdval="2185" sdnum="4105;">....2185 </TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: rgb(0,0,0) 1px solid; BORDER- rgb(0,0,0) 1px solid" align=middle sdval="55" sdnum="4105;">/55</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: rgb(0,0,0) 1px solid; BORDER- rgb(0,0,0) 1px solid" align=middle sdval="19360" sdnum="4105;0;#,##0">/19,360</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>...........................................Janka/Density/Rupture strength

I'd like to make mine out of mulberry but I have no good factual reason for that...

Drillit
8th November 2010, 10:25 AM
A friend has ask me to have a go at making a baseball bat.
In the USA they use White Ash or Maple because it's hard, light and strong.
Is there any Australian wood that could be the equivalent?
What do they use for sledge hammer handles?

I wonder whether willow would be an option as it is fairly light and is used to make cricket bats. John M.

GSRocket
8th November 2010, 10:34 AM
I wonder whether willow would be an option as it is fairly light and is used to make cricket bats. John M.My friend whose is a cricketer suggested willow, but I thought it may be too soft.
Cricket bats need exstensive knocking in or they dent and chip quite easily.

Eldanos of KDM
8th November 2010, 02:04 PM
My friend whose is a cricketer suggested willow, but I thought it may be too soft.
Cricket bats need exstensive knocking in or they dent and chip quite easily.

It's a fair thought, but having made a bat and in the process of making some more I can guarantee they would not be suitable.. Too soft but they could be rolled and knocked in, but I think the biggest problem would be the strength... There isn't much holding willow together between the grain.. Could be reinforced through the middle maybe with a much harder timber to increase weight and strength maybe:rolleyes: Trouble would be making the hole through the middle I imagine.
Nah after spending ten minutes typing this I reckon it just wouldn't be good...

Bradlux
26th April 2012, 08:13 PM
gday im looking for some experts to do a quick survey on baseball bats for my school project? i dont know if i can attach the survey to this but if not could some people send me an email so i can forward the survey?
Thanks heaps:) please
[email protected]

aussiepens
28th April 2012, 04:47 PM
I made one for a friend several years ago out of silver ash.

John

robo hippy
1st May 2012, 05:30 AM
The hardness is not the most important thing. Hickory is known for ability to take shock loads, and being resilliant, or springy/reflex action. Makes it perfect for hammer, axe, and shovel handles. I would think any but the hardest ash trees might tend to shatter or delaminate along the grain lines. Sugar/hard maple works, but from what I have heard tends to break straight across the middle.

robo hippy

orraloon
1st May 2012, 06:48 AM
Spotted gum would work and stand up to the task but the bat will be heavy.
Hickory is almost inpossable to find here in Oz but could be got from The US or Canada. Shipping will be a big factor however.
Regards