PDA

View Full Version : Pair of Poplar Burl Bowls.

tea lady
8th November 2010, 01:37 PM
Kinda proud of these! Only about 120mm across each. 50ish mm high. 3ish mm thin walls.:cool: Sanded to 400# and EEEed and Shellawaxed. Wood came from Springwater's stash that he passed on to me. (So where do I get more poplar burl? :C) I took them to the market yesterday just to show off. With an enormous price tag on 'em cos I didn't really want to sell 'em. Yet!. :C They got lots of Ooohs and Aaahs, which is always gratifying! Think I'll make them some boxes to live in and sit on when they are displayed.:cool:

Sawdust Maker
8th November 2010, 02:11 PM
TL

Great work :2tsup: they look fantastic

Is there a little bit of warping in the second or just the lens playing funny b's

tea lady
8th November 2010, 02:40 PM
Is there a little bit of warping in the second or just the lens playing funny b'sSlight bit of warping. Which I don't mind.:cool:

Rum Pig
8th November 2010, 04:31 PM
I like it well done:2tsup:

orificiam
8th November 2010, 04:32 PM
Beautiful bowls T/Lady, love the marble effect in the wood.:2tsup:
Cheers Tony,:)

TTIT
8th November 2010, 05:20 PM
Beautiful work TL :2tsup: Refreshing to see such a light coloured burl in use - sweet!

seanz
8th November 2010, 05:26 PM
Thanks for that, nice to know poplar burls look so nice (good bowls too) as it's one of the timbers that's plentiful around here.

wheelinround
8th November 2010, 05:26 PM
TL how dry was the wood??

ticklingmedusa
8th November 2010, 06:25 PM
Clean lines.
Nicely done. :2tsup:

tea lady
8th November 2010, 06:27 PM
Thanks for that, nice to know poplar burls look so nice (good bowls too) as it's one of the timbers that's plentiful around here.So can you send me some!:D:doh:

TL how dry was the wood?? Pretty dry. Been in Springwater's shed and my shed for ages!:cool:

seanz
8th November 2010, 07:22 PM
So can you send me some!:D:doh:

Dunno, I'd have to find some first. Sadly, I think burls would be a lot harder to get through Customs than pen blanks. :no:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
8th November 2010, 10:26 PM
Hmmm... what happened to the :drool: smiley?

:D

dai sensei
8th November 2010, 10:33 PM
Nice ones TL, I like the one with the curves sides best :2tsup:.

Not sure about the foots though :-

tea lady
8th November 2010, 10:39 PM
Not sure about the foots though :-:rolleyes: I like big feet! :p Also didn't hollow the feet out too much cos I felt they needed some weight to hold them down a bit! :cool:

HazzaB
8th November 2010, 10:50 PM
Hey TL,

I love them:2tsup:, I really like the shape and the delicate look, awesome job.

HazzaB

Nai84
8th November 2010, 11:43 PM
Hey Tea Lady

WOW:way2go: I love them they are so awsome so I thought they deserved a big sign nice job oh and I love the feet :2tsup:

Ian

artme
9th November 2010, 08:28 AM
Beautiful work TL!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

They hav a japenese design look about them.

Ed Reiss
9th November 2010, 01:14 PM
Looks like you've been practicing TL :cool:

Well done :2tsup:

tea lady
9th November 2010, 05:12 PM
Thanks for all your positive comments guys.:U

Now to work out how to make little presentational boxes for them to live in!:think: :shrug: I'm thinking little ply box with sliding lid and padded insides. How do I make shaped pads?:hmm:

Mark sanger
9th November 2010, 05:21 PM
Hi

Lovely bowls indeed and the markings add to them. The first thing I was impressed with ( other than the bowls) was your photography composition. I love the way you have photographed them on the rough sawn piece of wood. It really makes for a great picture and shows then off fully.

Take care

Mark

TTIT
9th November 2010, 05:21 PM
..........I'm thinking little ply box with sliding lid and padded insides. How do I make shaped pads?:hmm:I've never tried this but I've been wanting to - or at least find a guinea-pig to try it for me :; Was thinking of squirting a bit of that expanding space-filler into the box, covering it with velvet or similar cloth, then pushing the bowl down into it - could get messy though :C

tea lady
9th November 2010, 05:30 PM
I've never tried this but I've been wanting to - or at least find a guinea-pig to try it for me :; Was thinking of squirting a bit of that expanding space-filler into the box, covering it with velvet or similar cloth, then pushing the bowl down into it - could get messy though :C:think: Was pondering the same thing. Might have to google! :rolleyes:

letzzzgo
9th November 2010, 09:57 PM
TL, looks like they're very poplar!!!! :D

Cheers, John

joevan
10th November 2010, 02:53 PM
Hello Tea Lady

Who has been your teacher? You must have been a very good pupil to obtain such good and pleasing results. Well done.

Joe v K.

rsser
10th November 2010, 03:55 PM
Sweet work Anne-Maria.

Re display boxes, yeah, maybe expanded foam that you shape when dry, and then cover with size/glue and powdered flocking.

RETIRED
11th November 2010, 04:17 PM
You're sposed to be workin, not playin!!!:whip:

tea lady
11th November 2010, 04:26 PM
You're sposed to be workin, not playin!!!:whip::oo: I've been sprung! :C

:p:D

(I did work a bit! :C)(I did some spindle turning too!:cool: )

Hardenfast
18th November 2010, 08:38 PM
My critique is the same as Ian's initial comment, Lady. Wow!!

Very fine, delicate work - dare I say it ..... almost a lady-like profile. Love 'em!

Wayne

BTW, didn't know you could get a Poplar burl, but I suppose every species will have some type of blemish. Very kewl!

tea lady
19th November 2010, 04:26 PM
Wayne

BTW, didn't know you could get a Poplar burl, but I suppose every species will have some type of blemish. Very kewl!I was wondering about that too
. Maybe it is more like a node where heaps of little branches have grown from. :shrug:

NeilS
20th November 2010, 02:14 PM
Not sure about the foots though :-

Like the feet shape on those bowls. Bead at the transition is a nice touch. Perhaps hollowing out the foot would better complement the delicate appearance of the bowl form.