PDA

View Full Version : Paslode nailing gun?

Jacksin
1st November 2004, 07:09 PM
I am thinking of buying a Paslode angled finishing nailer model IM 250A. From what I have found out I will be up for about $8--900 plus any other bits and pieces I may need.

I have a heap of aves and skirtings (90 x 19 meranti) and wonder which is the best size and gauge of nails to use 50 or 63 x 1.6mm bearing in mind I have to fix the skirtings through the gyprock and I dont know how hard the stud-work behind it is. Perhaps I should purchase a box of each size? Are there any other little secrets I should know about?

Any advice will as always be appreciated from the experts.
Jack ;)

Dusty
1st November 2004, 09:58 PM
G'day, I got a Paslode Framing gun for fathers day (kid won a colouring competition at Bunnings) and it was worth eigth hundred odd bucks. However, just last week I was in a Bowens hardware store and there they were in the six hundred odd dollar range, both the framer and the bradder. So, that, in my book makes a pretty good saving.

As for the bradder being able to drive the nails into the studs beyond the plaster, no problemo.

GCP310
2nd November 2004, 12:57 AM
50mm should do the job.

dont skimp on the nails, buy the paslode nail/gas cartrige kit.

do you really need the freedom of a leadless nail gun? you can buy a decent finishing gun & compressor for the same amount thats all. we used to use the gas guns years ago when i was shopfitting. they are great,but they need to have a fully charged battery and a fuel cell. the firing times vary, from memory it takes about 15-20 seconds between nails.

All the DIY shows love em at the moment. I also heard that dewalt are coming out with an 18v battery only version. no fuel cell needed. could be worth looking into.

G

jaws
2nd November 2004, 07:14 AM
Was that a typo '15 - 20 seconds between nails" ?
We use cordless most of the time and the nailing speed is fine.:confused:

50 mm nails are ok for skirting, does that model take 'c' nails or 'nd' nails the straight Paslode fixing gun I use can take both the lighter and heavier nails, the heavier we use for skirting, jambs etc, and the lighter ones for archs and trims.:)
Cheers
John

GCP310
2nd November 2004, 10:06 AM
The newer versions may not have this lag between firing, as i said, this was a few years ago when the unit was black not the hi viz orange that they are now. :)

G

Jacksin
2nd November 2004, 07:43 PM
Thanks again for your response.

Paslode claim a 'cycle rate of 2--3 secs or 1000/hr'.

Jaws the angled 'Trim Master' uses a C1 nail from 32 to 63mm at .62 to 1.6gauge. The straight model (which I am told is not good for getting into tight corners) uses 19 to 63mm nails.

It pays to shop around because while most retailers are about the same price ($695 incl GST) I found a hardware store also at that price but it included a package of spare battery degreaser and oil (about $150 worth) but by the time I get back there it will have no doubt gone. Another mob were offering 18g nails to use with it, but these are heavier than the gun is designed for.
Jack ;)

GCP310
3rd November 2004, 02:12 PM
I found this on the u.s site.

G

Guy
3rd November 2004, 10:53 PM
Saw them in Bunnies on Sunday for less than $600 for framer and finisher, it does take about 10 secs between being able to fire another nail. Was thinking of buying one myself but think i will go for the Portercable unit with small compressor

jaws
4th November 2004, 07:27 AM
Guy, are you talking about the Paslodes? Ive used them since they have come out here, my newer framer fires about a quick as you can lift it off the timber and fire again, its hardly got any delay.
The fixing gun has a delay of about 1 sec, which is fine for detail work.
For fast framing work we run out the air, besides its cheaper than the gas.
Cheers,
John

Jacksin
4th November 2004, 06:01 PM
The latest price I have found is $659, gees if I keep this up soon they will be giving them away.

My next buy will be the framing nailer, bearing in mind I will not be using either full time, I didnt want to lug a compressor and hose around occupied jobs.
Jack ;)

rjeastwood
13th March 2005, 08:47 PM
g,day Jacksin , my name is Randall.
I used to own air guns, I went to gas for convenience..they're great IF they are cleaned regularly.
The prices have dropped heaps over the last few years..you should be able to pick up a straight fixer and a framer for 700 from bunnings.
and you dont need any extra bits and pieces.50 mm fix nails will do fine.have fun

rjeastwood
13th March 2005, 08:52 PM
p.s
I totally agree with jaws in regards to "gcp310" reply..you can fire nails almost as fast as you want

Gaza
14th March 2005, 09:17 AM
I brought one of the ealry model angle bradders (trim master) its not the most reliable tool, but is great for doing small beading. The nails are very small gau.The tradditional stright bradder is good as it fires both series of nails. C and ND just get a spare nose plate.

I would consder buying the stright over the angle as the angle is a bit of a toy, in my opion.
If you shop around and go to power tool shops the framer / stright bradder can be brougt for $630 in syd, so shop around.

We run one battery almost all day so if you are planing on buying both guns in the short term save $150.00 the spare battery cost for the next gun.

Pulse
15th March 2005, 10:53 AM
The angled one is better for tight spaces. The nail length depends on the frame. 50 year old hardwood may only need 1.75inch or 1.5 inch nails. For pine frames 2 inch is enough. Test by trying to hammer a nail into the stud.... you will soon have an idea of what to buy.

The Trimaster angles nailer is US$359 on the paslode web site. Worth trying to ship over???

Cheers
Pulse

madmartyau
18th March 2005, 11:35 PM
The angled one is better for tight spaces. The nail length depends on the frame. 50 year old hardwood may only need 1.75inch or 1.5 inch nails. For pine frames 2 inch is enough. Test by trying to hammer a nail into the stud.... you will soon have an idea of what to buy.

The Trimaster angles nailer is US$359 on the paslode web site. Worth trying to ship over???

Cheers
Pulse
Just don't expect to be covered under warranty if you don't buy it from an Australian dealer.;)

Jacksin
19th March 2005, 05:53 PM
Yeh madmartyau, I thought that as soon as I read it. I couldnt see why they would agree to ship one over because they have their agents here.

Incidently this was an old post of mine someone revived, and whilst I thank everyone for their opinions, unfortunately I missed out on the job I originally intended to buy the Paslode for and havent had the need since.
Jack ;)

jocky1964
20th September 2005, 06:20 PM
Guys,

I am looking at doing some home renovation, and I think that a nail gun would be of help... I'm looking to do the following:

install a fence, using screw shank nails to fix the timbers to the battens and posts - timber would be hardwood
build a deck - treated pine structure with hardwood deck
build furniture etc..
Question is: is there a "one stop" nail gun solution, or do I need several guns ie: finish or brad nailer, as well as a framing gun. I am not fussed about a compressor or not

Skew ChiDAMN!!
20th September 2005, 11:15 PM
install a fence, using screw shank nails to fix the timbers to the battens and posts - timber would be hardwood
build furniture etc..
Question is: is there a "one stop" nail gun solution, or do I need several guns ie: finish or brad nailer, as well as a framing gun. I am not fussed about a compressor or not

A good framing gun will do all this... and do it well. But for furniture a small bradder or finishing gun is better suited 'cos with furniture you shouldn't be relying on nails as fasteners, you should be relying on appropriate jointing techniques and using brads only for tacking while the glue sets.

Call it a matter of style. :D Then again, if your sense of style is "bush furniture" made using a chain-saw and 6" nails then the framer will do. ;)

madmartyau
20th September 2005, 11:16 PM
Guys,

I am looking at doing some home renovation, and I think that a nail gun would be of help... I'm looking to do the following:
build furniture etc..

Unfortunately, there is not a "one stop" nail gun solution. A coil gun would be the best solution for your deck and fence(this would require a compressor as no one sells a coil gun that runs on batteries or gas at this point in time). As for building furniture a bradder would do the job here.

Hope this helps.

P.S. You could use a framing gun for your fence but I wouldn't recommend using it for your deck, as the current specification calls for a deformed shank, domed head nail in either stainless steel or galvanized.

jocky1964
21st September 2005, 10:15 AM
Guys,

Thanks for the quick reply. I guess I have to get 2 guns, being a coil gun and a bradder..... 2 is better than 1 anyway, but at least now I can tell the Minister for Interior Affairs that I did try and save money!!

So, for a bradder, what size? There are lots of different guages available, which would be the most common size? I intend to use it mainly in conjunction with glued joinery as mentioned above - and probably not the bush furniture style.

With a coil gun, similar question.

Any suggestions as to what people have that would work well - don't want to spend big $'s, especially on the coil gun.

Thanks
Peter

madmartyau
21st September 2005, 06:09 PM
For the joinery I would suggest a C1 Bradder, you should be able to pick up one of these for between $100 - $200 for a reasonable one. There are some available for under $100 but you may find replacement parts hard to get for these.

As for the coil, unfortunately you won't find a decent one that's cheap. The company I work for sells their own brand for $450 but we are in QLD only. You're most likely looking at between $600 and $800 for one of the name brand guns e.g. Senco, Hitachi, Bostitch, Duofast Be aware that the bostitch N64 won't do decking nails as they are only available in plastic collation, and that model gun uses wire collated nails only. Also be aware that the Duofast CNP50Y won't do decking nails as it is limited to 50mm nails and the dome head nails are 52mm.

Hope this helps.:D

Rubber
21st September 2005, 10:29 PM
I think you only really need a bradder and a T nailer. You can get both for under $200. Coil nailers are too expensive to justify the expense, unless you do alot of fencing or decking, which the home handy man doesn't. Similar story for a framing gun. Expensive and if you are doing any wall framing why not buy them premade?

savage
21st September 2005, 11:11 PM
G'Day All,

just a thought, I had to repair the fence in the other place several years back and a few renovations in the place we are in now, during which called for one off tool usage, so it didn't warrant the expense of buying something to just sit there. I went to my local hire Co and hired it, the money was well worth it all you have to do is plan the time right so as to minimise hire charges, mostly 1/2 day is plenty for the D.I.Y. Most of the time if you hire first thing Saturday for a full day, they are only open for 1/2 day and don't charge you for Sunday as long as you have it back by start of trade Monday. The guys behind the counter told me this and don't mind at all, naturally you pay for the nails by the pack and they do not refund on part packs but will on unopened full ones. Then I buy a tool I can and will use, I don't see the sense in spending $$$$ for one off uses?...:) :)
As I said just a thought!..
savage.

madmartyau
21st September 2005, 11:27 PM
G'Day All,

just a thought, I had to repair the fence in the other place several years back and a few renovations in the place we are in now, during which called for one off tool usage, so it didn't warrant the expense of buying something to just sit there. I went to my local hire Co and hired it, the money was well worth it all you have to do is plan the time right so as to minimise hire charges, mostly 1/2 day is plenty for the D.I.Y. Most of the time if you hire first thing Saturday for a full day, they are only open for 1/2 day and don't charge you for Sunday as long as you have it back by start of trade Monday. The guys behind the counter told me this and don't mind at all, naturally you pay for the nails by the pack and they do not refund on part packs but will on unopened full ones. Then I buy a tool I can and will use, I don't see the sense in spending $$$$ for one off uses?...:) :)
As I said just a thought!..
savage.

I'd have to agree with you there, especially for the coil gun. You could probably still buy yourself a cheap bradder though. It's surprising how many things you'll find to do with it when you've got one.

savage
22nd September 2005, 12:36 AM
Yeah! I have a cheapie!..from K-Mart (bowing head in shame), But I got it on sale and thought I'd only use it for the current renovations, how wrong could I have been. It's used in all my jobs I undertake, I use the 35mm nails mainly for back boards on bookcases and the like or glue-ups. When it give's up the ghost I'll be getting a better quality one but still within the realms of a D.I.Y. hobby woodie!...:)