PDA

View Full Version : Not my first nor my last bowl.

joevan
9th November 2010, 10:07 AM
This lump (plane tree burl) was given to me by Ken W with instructions to make some thing out of if and if possible not a "brake drum". Well this is the end product, I call it a *tulip shape". The foot is a bit of black wood. It was extremly dry and very hard to turn, the grain was swirling in all directions and a million knots and holes in it. It can be seen in the flesh at this week end at the annual Wood Work Exhibition of the Eltham and District Wood Working Club in the Eltham Community Hall.

Ed Reiss
9th November 2010, 01:10 PM
Well done Joevan :2tsup:

The shape is pleasing and the blackwood base really sets off the burl.

joevan
9th November 2010, 01:58 PM
I forgot to give the dimesions of the beast. Here they are:

Diameter 250 mm, height 200 mm, the depth of the vessel 150 mm anf wall thicknes 10
mm.

Joe v K.

Mr Brush
9th November 2010, 02:01 PM
A very testing piece of timber by the look of it.:oo:

You've done an excellent job though - well done:2tsup:

letzzzgo
9th November 2010, 04:34 PM
Nice one Joe, it's come up a treat. I can just see it on a pedistal at the Eltham Woodworkers exhib. :wink:

Cheers John

mkypenturner
9th November 2010, 06:15 PM
nice work

Nai84
9th November 2010, 10:26 PM
OOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH that is the bomb:blowup: I love all those knots in it it adds character to the piece well done mate

Ian

Alessandro Erpi
10th November 2010, 07:29 AM
This lump (plane tree burl) was given to me by Ken W with instructions to make some thing out of if and if possible not a "brake drum". Well this is the end product, I call it a *tulip shape". The foot is a bit of black wood. It was extremly dry and very hard to turn, the grain was swirling in all directions and a million knots and holes in it. It can be seen in the flesh at this week end at the annual Wood Work Exhibition of the Eltham and District Wood Working Club in the Eltham Community Hall.

Wonderfull!!!
Simply a masterpieces... I like the black wood you used for the base!!:):)

joevan
16th November 2010, 09:22 AM
Hello All,

Many thanks for all the positive feedback, but on the other hand I would have accepted a few negative knocks as well, as long as they are constructive.

Br Joe v K.

Allan at Wallan
16th November 2010, 05:19 PM
Well done Joe.:2tsup:

It seems only yesterday that Ken W remarked on your ability to
churn out "brake drums" and that you should try something different.

For a bloke who has only been turning a relatively short time you
have come a long way. I have seen this item at our club (Northern
Woodturners) and everyone was impressed with it.

Allan