PDA

View Full Version : Tools Storage

Squirrel
9th November 2010, 09:59 PM
As I have just sold my house and will be waiting for my new double garage workshop to be built, I need to put all my tools into storage.

I currently have a vast collection of both wood and metal working tools.

I am seeking the best product to preferably a spray to coat everything to prevent rusting. I anticipate it will be in storage for about 8 months or so.

I anticipate that my good tools will be sprayed, bubble wrapped and put into plastic storage buckets. My big machines will be kept in my mothers garage so can be checked regularly, but I anticipate that my hand and power tools will be in a 40 foot container with the other household stuff.

Any suggestions will be appreciated as I will commence my packing this weekend, got to be out of the house by mid January 2011.

Squirrel.

Master Splinter
9th November 2010, 10:31 PM
As an extra step, you could also keep some silica gel desiccant in each bubble wrapped package - cheapest source of that is that deluxe crystalline kitty litter you can get these days.

Ashore
9th November 2010, 11:15 PM
Whithout a doubt post them to me and I will oil and look after them :rolleyes:

Enfield Guy
10th November 2010, 04:32 PM
Lanolin and baking paper provides a very good barrier and is easy to reverse. Lanotec is a brand that works well, or, you could just go to the chemist and buy some lanolin and thin it to spray consistancy with a bit of white spirit.

Spray generously, allow to dry briefly, wrap with a piece of baking paper, Bobs your uncle.

I had a table saw, and old SCM, cast iron tables etc, that I stored like that for about six months in a position that was not completely protected from weather.
Stripped the goo off it with some white spirit and she was as good as gold to sell. No damage what so ever. I swear by the stuff.

Cheers

crowie
10th November 2010, 07:22 PM
G'Day Squirrel, You could also have a look at the CRC website CRC Industries Australia (http://www.crcind.com.au/crc/index.html) for some commerical sprays; when I worked in both mining & manufacturing industries we used to use some different ones in storing new & repairs machinery parts from the CRC range. Cheers, Crowie.

Squirrel
13th November 2010, 08:50 PM
Thanks for the advice guys, will give the lanolin and baking paper ago. Started packing today, just did my tools from my peg board, lathe and mill tools and books. Filled three plastic tubs, a tool box and three boxes. Haven't even scratched the surface.

Squirrel.