PDA

View Full Version : old block plane

burraboy
11th November 2010, 06:05 AM
Here is a block plane that came from my grandfathers kit. That makes it at least old if not antique. It would seem to be a knock-off of the Stanley 102 model and quite likely, knowing my grandfathers habits, made in Australia. Does anyone have any more information on its possible pedigree?

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk103/synwhistles/blockplane.jpg

maņana
11th November 2010, 08:35 PM
G'day Burraboy
Sorry I can't help you with your query, but I think you would get more exposure for your plane if you posted in "Hand Tools Unpowered". There is a wealth of knowledge out there among our fellow Forumites.
Anyway, best of luck
Mick C.

woodie one
11th November 2010, 09:52 PM
Could I suggest that you try the Hand Tool Preservation Association of Australia (Google for their website)? They have extensive libraries of Australian tools, including manufacturers' lists and many, many examples of tools, including planes.

It would be interesting to find out just what you have got there.

Cheers!

Scribbly Gum
11th November 2010, 10:24 PM
Take the lever cap off and have a look at the blade.
It may have some form of branding on it.
It resembles a Worth to a certain extent but really could be anything, without some identifying marks.
Cheers
SG

burraboy
13th November 2010, 07:11 AM
No brands anywhere I'm afraid! The knob is fairly distinctive though and is a push-on fit onto a "+" shaped spike, different to any others I have seen.

Scribbly Gum
13th November 2010, 08:04 AM
There were literally hundreds of production models of this type of block plane. Because it is so useful, it was a standard piece of toolchest equipment for every chippie, and was made in the thousands.
It does resemble a Worth that I once had but without your front knob arrangement. Someone else may recognise the maker but it could easily be a generic plane produced for the trade.
Nothing wrong with that. How does it work? The block plane design is so simple it would be hard to find a bad one.
Cheers
SG

pommyphil
13th November 2010, 11:21 AM
Not the fabled Turner 220 ? :D

Scribbly Gum
13th November 2010, 12:16 PM
Not the fabled Turner 220 ? :D

Alas - no.
I am wondering how many Turner 220's were actually made.
They appear so rarely that it may be they were only made in small quantities.
Unlike the Stanley 110 and its multitudinous imitators, whose numbers are legion.
SG