PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Rectangle sheets for Go Boards.

kurokaze204
11th November 2010, 05:27 PM
Hi all,

This is my first post so please forgive me if I stuff up or break a rule.

My question isn't so much about a toy, as a game but this is the closest forum I could find. You all seem like experts so I hope my simple request doesn't insult you.

I would like to find out how to make some simple 6mm MDF boards so I can teach classes of kids the fantastic game of Go.

Can anybody tell me how I can get access to a bench saw to cut a large sheet of 6mm MDF into 30 rectangles? Each board needs to be 305mm x 329mm.

I have no saw-bench (or a place to put one) and since it is a one-off job, I was hoping their were workshops in Melbourne's Eastern suburbs, or maybe a kind bloke who could let me use their bench (or cut them up for me if insurance is an issue). That said, I have not been about to find either (including an hour searching these forums) and so I am here humbly asking for some advice.

Thankyou in advance for any wisdom you can offer. :)

Stu French

crowie
11th November 2010, 07:58 PM
G'Day Stu,
You could try thr local "cabinet makers" and "joinery shops" or your local Mister Ply & Wood shop; they'd all cut to size the shapes you're after, but at a cost.
Maybe you might have a local "Mens Shed" or "Triton Club" who could help; check out the local community centre for directions to them or even your local hardward shop if it's half decent.
Cheers, Crowie

Chesand
11th November 2010, 08:02 PM
Crowie beat me to it with his suggestion.

If you are involved with a school, there may be a parent who can help either through his/her business or have the necessary equipment at home.

scotty60
11th November 2010, 08:24 PM
Maybe try our sponsour STU'S SHED,

STU'S SHED is in mexico there somewhere, and STU from STU'S SHED maybe able to help you out seeing there for students, STU seems to be a descent guy and STU'S SHED seems to have all the eqipment to be able to handle the job.Lets see how you go. :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Cheers

kurokaze204
14th November 2010, 09:43 PM
I appreciate the ideas, thank-you.

I chased up Stu's Shed before posting but didn't get anywhere. I will try out the other options.

ian
14th November 2010, 10:44 PM
Hi all,

My question isn't so much about a toy, as a game but this is the closest forum I could find. You all seem like experts so I hope my simple request doesn't insult you.

I would like to find out how to make some simple 6mm MDF boards so I can teach classes of kids the fantastic game of Go.

Can anybody tell me how I can get access to a bench saw to cut a large sheet of 6mm MDF into 30 rectangles? Each board needs to be 305mm x 329mm.

Thankyou in advance for any wisdom you can offer. :)

Stu FrenchStu
welcome

by my calcs, you wont get 30, 329 x 305 squares from a standard sheet of 6mm MDF.
Do the rectangles need to be exactly 329 x 305 mm (which is 13 x 12 inches) ?
If not, can I suggest changing th size enough so that you get 32 from a standard 1200 x 2400 sheet of MDF
Probably your best bet is to buy from someone like Mr Plyandwood who will cut the squares for you -- unless they have a proper panel saw I wouldn't trust the local hardware to cut everything square

kurokaze204
14th November 2010, 11:04 PM
Thanks Ian,

Yes I was worried about that. I bought some wood from Bunnings a while ago which they cut for me but it was both inaccurate and not square.

As for the size, these calcs are based on a certain stone size. If I can get slightly smaller stones (which I am chasing up right now) then I can drop the board size and hopefully fit a lot more in.

I will see if there is a Mr Plyandwood near me and see how I go.

I appreciate your help.

tea lady
15th November 2010, 08:39 AM
Knox woodworker's workshop. They have a panel saw as well as other types. I am there on Monday mornings for wood turning and Friday mornings for the traditional woodworking group. SOmeone there should be able to help. Or mombership is not that much and you have the access to the tools yourself.:cool:

Knox and District Woodworkers Club Inc (KDWC) (http://www.alchester.com.au/kdwc/)